Tomato 'Oregon Spring'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Oregon Spring

Freeland, Washington

Grand Mound, Washington

Kennewick, Washington

On Jul 25, 2015, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

To me, this is what a tomato should taste like. It has a nice soft texture, the skin isn't tough, and I love the moderate to strong acidic tomato flavor.

My only regret is that I only planted one plant this year to try it out. Next year I will plant many more. It's now a keeper on my must plant list.

On Aug 27, 2014, BLG_Astoria_OR from Astoria, OR wrote:

I planted one transplant from Brimm's in a location that gets about 5-6 hours of afternoon sun per day. Southern exposure on the hill in Astoria, Oregon. The first tomato to turn red was near the beginning of August and was about 4" in diameter. I then had 2 more this last week of August with a tiny green one still on the plant as of 28th august. Planting this was an impulse and wasn't in the best location in my raised bed. The plant grew to about a foot and a half tall. I didn't water as much as I wanted to and I used a soil mix consisting of compost, and a bit of biochar. My first tomato tasted fine and the other two, which I traded, was said to taste great. I won't be planting next year due to the lack of seeds and the amount produced in the space it took up.

On Aug 25, 2014, ocean_314 from Ukiah, CA wrote:

I grew this plant and was very disappointed. Early girl was earlier. i only got around 10 tomatoes all very bland before the plant quite and died.

On Sep 8, 2011, mehitabel45 from Whidbey Island, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Here in the PNW, it's difficult to get tomatoes before August, and this cool year, even mid-August. 'Oregon Spring' produced one by 8/1, and several more by 9/1, but the flavor is 'meh,' as the family voted. I'm looking elsewhere for next year.

On Apr 29, 2008, scholl734 from Ypsilanti, MI wrote:

I grew an Oregon Spring because I was looking for a good early season determinate plant...I was very disappointed. It produced medium sized tomatoes that were mealy and not very sweet. I will not grow this one again.

On Feb 24, 2006, EAPierce from Idaho Falls, ID (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is another short-season tomato cultivated by Dr. James Baggett of Oregon State University. You'll see his name pop up frequently on new short-season hybrids, but this one is classified as an heirloom and has Russian parentage. This is probably his most popular cultivar to date (that I know of). It does very well here. I'd say about 80% of the people I know who've planted 'Oregon Spring' rave about their reliability and earliness, and some even draw comparisons to 'Early Girl.' I only planted one last year, a gallon-sized seedling. I planted it in July in a 10-gallon container and left it in a spot where it would get a few hours of morning and evening sun, afternoon shade. It was awfully late in the season to be putting out tomatoes, but I ended up with a good ten tomatoes to ha... read more

On Sep 27, 2005, fwfarm from Lebanon, OR (Zone 7b) wrote:

I tried 6 early tomatoes this year and this one wasn't particularly early and the flavor wasn't great (too acid), and the consistency wasn't great either. It came in 5th.

On Feb 26, 2005, duke3522 from Marion, IN wrote:

I got a total of 73 seeds from two packs. Started indoors today. Hope they go well.

On May 9, 2002, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This tomato withstands light frosts with or without protection. With protection there is no damage; without protection a few of the outer branches defoliate but do not die.

Sets fruit at 50, making it the earliest tomato I have ever grown. Fruit is tasty.

If growing in a hot climate, partial shade during the afternoon helps to protect it from sunburn.

Not readily available, must be searched in speciality catalogues for seed. Definitely worth it.