PlantFiles: Amur Pink, Amur River Pink
Dianthus amurensis 'Siberian Blues'

Family: Caryophyllaceae (kar-ree-oh-fil-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dianthus (dy-AN-thus) (Info)
Species: amurensis (am-or-EN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Siberian Blues

Thumbnail #6 of Dianthus amurensis by bagel_k

By saya
Thumbnail #7 of Dianthus amurensis by saya

Negative annakins On Aug 8, 2012, annakins from Aberdeen, SD wrote:

Bought 3 plants 2 years ago and placed in different areas of my garden. I love the color but gets very leggy and floppy (mine range from part to full sun). Lost one the first year,one didn't come back this spring and the last one just died. Haven't decided if it's worth buying more because they look very nice next to my petite wonder bee balm.

Positive killdawabbit On Jun 16, 2010, killdawabbit from Christiana, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

I really like this plant. It blooms later and for a longer time than my other dianthuses.

Negative mcrousse On May 20, 2009, mcrousse from Holly Springs, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I had 3 specimens of this plant last year. All bloomed well but 2 look to have died over the winter, and the remaining specimen looks poorly. This is in a bed where other dianthus flourish. It's easy to wintersow, so I was able to replace my dead specimens. We will see how it does this year. I was not that impressed.

Positive teachnkids On Jul 23, 2008, teachnkids from Cranberry Township, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I purchased this from Park Seed as a plant. After transplanting it into a clay pot, I only had to wait a matter of weeks before it began blooming. It has bloomed quite heavily for months now. It is also quite prolific at setting seeds. I must say that it is very easy to care for, really no care needed, other than to water it every time the dirt appears a little dry. (Generally I just give it a little water every morning with the rest of my plants.)

I was disappointed in its color, not because it isn't a pretty color, but because I was expecting a blue flower as the catalogue picture showed. The pictures on Dave's Garden do a great job of showing the true color.

Positive bagel_k On Oct 18, 2007, bagel_k from Central, NJ (Zone 6b) wrote:

I love this plant. The color is not really blue, but lavender. It is very easy to grow from seed, I started mine in April, and it was already blooming in July! Lots of blooms till September. It is growing in full sun, clayish soil.

Positive dicentra63 On Oct 2, 2007, dicentra63 from West Valley City, UT (Zone 6b) wrote:

I wasn't sure if they'd ever bloom. I planted mine in the late spring, and just yesterday (Oct 1) I found the first bloom.

Blue! Mine is blue, though there are some purple tones to it.

As far as being low-growing, I can barely see the foliage. It's like lichen in the dirt, it's so short. And very slow-growing, but I would be surprised if the nutrient-poor soil and record heat (which caused wilting) didn't affect its growth rate.

Positive saya On Jul 29, 2007, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

I think I got the seeds in a trade from kat7. I 've sown the seeds on 15-20C (or 59-68F ) and did 'nt exclude light. The seeds germinated easy. I'm not disappointed about the colour. From a distance one could say that they are blue. They are not growing in full sun, but in dappled sunlight. It's possible they turn more pink in full sun.They flower about four weeks. I cut them back after flowering but they never re bloom for me. D. 'Siberian Blues' has flowered past 5 years in my garden ..so I find it quite reliable.

Negative Gabrielle On Jan 25, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Not true blue, as the catalog description made it seem to be, and is hard to keep alive. It has died in multiple locations here.

Positive krissakoko On Jun 25, 2002, krissakoko wrote:

This plant fascinates me because it starts out as a fuschia color and the color changes during the daytime becoming a lavender by 6pm

Neutral poppysue On Mar 12, 2002, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

The Amur pink is a mat forming plant with bright evergreen foliage. The purplish-pink flowers are 1-inch (1-2.5 cm) accross with darker centers and toothed petals. Plants preform best in full sun and well-drained soil although they will tolerate partial shade.

Divernon, Illinois