PlantFiles: Nepal Lily
Lilium nepalense

Family: Liliaceae (lil-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lilium (LIL-ee-um) (Info)
Species: nepalense (nap-ahl-EN-see) (Info)

Division:

Flower Shape:
Recurved

Bloom Size:

Color Pattern:

By dividing the bulb's scales

By Baa

Thumbnail #5 of Lilium nepalense by bonitin

Thumbnail #6 of Lilium nepalense by bonitin

Thumbnail #7 of Lilium nepalense by bonitin

Neutral 705Muskoka On Aug 15, 2010, 705Muskoka from Huntsville

I just bought this plant on August 4, 2010 from a lily farm. The grower assures me that it will grow in my zone 4 garden and since it comes from the Himalayas I don't doubt her. I live in Muskoka, Ontario, Canada.
It is the first year she has seen it available to her. The tag says it is good for -40C or -40F USDA Zone 3. It will grow to 36" tall by 12-16" wide. It blooms from June through August and requires part shade.

Positive wallaby1 On Dec 4, 2005, wallaby1 from Lincoln
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have had this bulb growing at the bottom of a bank, placed just on the slope. It is quite shady, but does get some sun. The trick with this one is to give it the conditions it likes and don't disturb it. It has performed well for me, although I admit I was worried when I didn't see it emerge like the other lilies in its second year. I dug down and found it growing sideways, and in my ignorance tried to straighten it, thinking it was looking for daylight! Little did I know that it does grow sideways, and left to itself within 5 years has increased to 5 stems this year, each stem with up to 3 flowers.
The stems only grow to around 30" tall, and bend under the weight of the huge flowers. I have to lift them for a closer smell, which I love. It is a very strong, musk perfume-like scent, to me pleasing. I have had a seed pod this year, the seed could be viable, I shall see.
The soil it is growing in is at the edge of a horse chestnut tree, but quite fertile, and sandy, but it most likely keeps just moist.

Neutral Baa On Nov 25, 2001, Baa wrote:

A creeping Lily from the Himalayas and surrounding regions.

Has Lance shaped, dark green leaves upto 6 inches long. Bears greenish/yellow or greenish/white, drooping bells with a reddish speckling or entirely reddish/brown inside the bell. Petals are reflexed slightly and the flower has an unpleasant smell.

Flowers late May-July

This is a tough one to grow and keep happy.

Has to have a moist, well drained, acid soil in partial shade in a cool, sheltered spot.

Spreads by stolons and will increase if the conditions are right. They are not tolerant of any other conditions.

Hardy down to 35F.