PlantFiles: Pink Ladies, Mexican Evening Primrose, Showy Evening Primrose
Oenothera speciosa

Family: Onagraceae (on-uh-GRAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Oenothera (ee-no-THEE-ruh) (Info)
Species: speciosa (spee-see-OH-suh) (Info)

Synonym:Hartmannia speciosa

Thumbnail #6 of Oenothera speciosa by Jeff_Beck

By Jeff_Beck
Thumbnail #7 of Oenothera speciosa by Jeff_Beck

Positive honeysuckle2000 On May 29, 2012, honeysuckle2000 from Cary, IL wrote:

i love this plant, very showy with its flower starting white and then turning pink. ofcourse is invasive, but easy to pull out(dont we have trouble with Dandelions twice a year :) ). has a light fragrance, planning to start a new bed under my birch tree and it can overtake the lawn(which looks very bad because of the huge tree and shade) ofcourse i have others under the tree, tickweed, lirope, anemone peony, pink butterfly bush, big leaf hydrangea, astilbe, ajuga, creeping phlox, etc

Negative davidkumpula On Apr 10, 2012, davidkumpula from Fort Mill, SC wrote:

I planted this in a few of my raised brick beds last year as a mid-summer space-filler. In a matter of a month the runners were everywhere and overtaking everything even with diligent management. Flowers resulted in seed germinating nearby and quickly expanding its reach through all types of soil, plants and even robust turf-grass. I tried digging it up to no avail as even the tiniest remaining rhizomes quickly produced new plants. I was eventually forced to commit plant genocide with commercial strength Round-Up - which took not one, not two, but FOUR applications to finally kill the stuff. Heavy doses of pre-emergent and diligent watching of the affected areas will hopefully rid me of this menace once and for-all.

Neutral misbush On Mar 12, 2012, misbush from Sissonville, WV wrote:

VERY VERY invasive! Buyer BEWARE!! This plant has jumped the flower bed and spread to cracks in the sidewalk and everywhere. I am finding it hard to kill without killing my surrounding plants! Any suggestions helpful!

Neutral GreatUnstopbLee On Sep 17, 2011, GreatUnstopbLee from Las Vegas, NV wrote:

Very invasive. Can survive without being watered, even in Vegas. But my Desert Tortoise loves them.

Negative Toots136 On Jun 23, 2011, Toots136 from Glendale, AZ wrote:

When I lived at my old place, my next door neighbor had them growing along the front of her house. I thought the pink flowers were rather nice.
Then I moved away and had gardening space on all four sides of my new house. On the west side, there were the cute little flowers. I decided to plant roses along that side, and weeded and cleaned the strip thoroughly, pulling out tendrils that were easily 2 feet long. I then covered the area with 6mm black plastic. I left it that way from January till the bare rose sale in November. I removed the plastic, no primroses, yea!! and planted the roses with gazanias behind them.
I put in my sprinkler system, put in a pretty little fence and watered the roses regularly. Suddenly I began to see tendrils coming out from under the house and beyond the fencing. They were back, tangling themselves in with the gazanias and on the march! I pulled them up, as much as I could since they break off at the soil level, and cleaned up the area again. Over and over again.
This has been a 2 year fight and they are winning. I pull them out and they send in their secondary troops. They lay on top of the gazanias and flatten them. Evey now and then, I'll see a pink flower about 8ft away, but aside from that, they never bloom. I can't use an eradicator because of the roses and gazanias so I just keep pulling them out.
I think I hate them. I tell myself that the bending and stretching is good exercise, but , yes, I hate them.

Positive Spunkybart On May 8, 2011, Spunkybart from Richmond, VA wrote:

I'm located in Virginia, I like this plant a lot -- it spreads, for sure, but it's easy to pull up. It provides a nice mass of pinkish/whitish flowers.

I originally started it in a pot, thinking I would keep it from spreading, but it broke out of jail and is now a nice show of pink flowers as my other perennials are coming up.

Positive dontruman On Nov 13, 2010, dontruman from Victoria, TX wrote:

Native in my area of coastal South Texas. Evening primrose, often called "butter cup" even though it's pink. Noninvasive in its native environment; I don't recall ever having to pull one out of my garden more than once and never in my lawn. (No ground cover herbaceous plant survives competition with a watered, healthy, Saint Augustine carpet-grass lawn.) Creates an attractive carpet of pink flowers in fields and pastures during our hot, dry summers. Drought & heat resistant and thrives in poor soil. Another case of a plant that can go rogue outside its native habitat.

Negative enroute On Feb 22, 2010, enroute from Chandler, AZ (Zone 9a) wrote:

Invasive. Invasive. Invasive. I hate it! Pretty on the outside--evil on the inside!

Be sure you and your neighbors are ready to have it everywhere! It was planted by my builder's landscape company all over my front and back yard and I am pulling it out daily in the hopes that I can get rid of it for good. It sends runners underground and pops up everywhere--in grass, from under large rocks, in far away locations too. Maybe it is also reseeding? I've only had it 6 months, or so, and it has covered anything near it. No need to spend money on it, just grab a sprout from some other poor victim and watch it take over.

Before you plant this, be sure you love this crazy thing--and don't plant it anywhere near my house!

Negative morgen On May 5, 2009, morgen from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

If anyone has had success in eradicating this weed that is promoted as a desirable drought tolerant xeriscape perennial please post it here! This plant is terrible. It seems like the more I pull it out, the more the underground octopus sends tenticles that pop up more than 30 feet away! When I pull the plants out I can see that they just break under the ground. It is a contstant battle. I've been pulling it out for 3 years now. I have tried Spectricide weed killer and that merely slows it down. Please HELP!!!

Positive texasflora_com On Mar 23, 2009, texasflora_com from De Leon, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Why does the plant's description say that all parts of the plant are poisonous yet every other site says every part of the plant is edible and very important in medicine? Even one of the seed suppliers (J.L. Hudson) listed by this site says it's completely edible.

Negative Hemophobic On Dec 1, 2008, Hemophobic from Kannapolis, NC wrote:

Extemely invasive! Beware unless you plant this in an area that you want covered, you will be constantly pulling it up!

Negative eyesoftexas On Jul 6, 2008, eyesoftexas from Toadsuck, TX (Zone 7a) wrote:

Spread is rampant and prolific....very invasive, and hard to irradicate.

Neutral felicia014 On Aug 5, 2007, felicia014 from Ridgefield, CT wrote:

As stated multiple times, this can be invasive. However, it doesn't "choke" out other plants, just grows around them (in my experience). It just grows low around things as a filler. I found my cherry bells campunula to be more invasive. The deer like to browse it, which can be controlled with repellent. I am having a problem with Japanese beetles this year (first time in three summers) and this is a favorite of theirs. But that gives me a good place to look for them when I want to drowned them! With so many blooms, the deer browsing and pests don't create that big of a problem. I also have it planted with lavender, dianthus, peonies. It is a nice addition to a cottage garden if you want a breezy, somewhat overgrown look.

Positive hart On Jul 28, 2007, hart from Shenandoah Valley, VA wrote:

This is a very drought tolerant plant and is great for a hillside or other dry areas where little else will grow. I use it along the strip next to my garage where the roof overhang and dry soil make it impossible to grow most other plants.

It is very easy to pull extras if it spreads too much.

If you shear it back to a few inches from the soil after blooming it will rebloom.

Positive flamingonut On May 22, 2007, flamingonut from New Milford, NJ wrote:

Yes, it's invasive. It's taking over one of my beds, but, it blends in nicely with the other plants in the bed without choking them out. I've had it for about 4 years now, and I look forward to it each and every year. I'll be back in a few years to add any additional comments, positive or negative ;)

Positive bonrig On May 12, 2007, bonrig from Saint Petersburg, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

About 5 years ago this came up in my garden after I planted a wildflower mix and it has been coming up every April and May ever since. It is beautiful, but it also somewhat invasive. That doesn't matter to me because it only blooms here 2 months out of the year and then entirely disappears.

Positive rachael441 On May 10, 2007, rachael441 from Severna Park, MD wrote:

Plant stops blooming when it gets wet. Best to not water at all. It will stop blooming after rain. As soon as it dries out it blooms again. Very invasive in Maryland, be sure to plant in a contained area. Cut down in the fall when it has stopped blooming.

Neutral Willheim On Apr 22, 2007, Willheim from Morrisville, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

This flower grows well in Bucks County, PA. My barber let me take a root cutting, and I now have three nice stands of Evening Primrose (soon to be two). Tolerates a little shade. If it didn't tend to be invasive, as others have noted, this would be a positive recommendation.

Positive kathyinaz On Apr 13, 2007, kathyinaz from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

I planted one three years ago in a flower bed and it has spread out a little bit and filled out the flower bed nicely, but it is not so invasive that it crowds anything else out.

Neutral mrspfaff On Feb 14, 2007, mrspfaff from Madison, WI wrote:

This is a beautiful plant that spreads like the devil. (1 year+2 plants= covered about 40 sq ft) I resorted to letting it bloom and then cutting it all the way to the ground every year. In northern wet climates like mine- best to plant as a groundcover underneath eaves, so that it gets very little water. It is a little tall for an underfoot groundcover. Mine also has some interestingly variegated foliage and looks nice in the fall (although I usually pull it before then.) If this plant were a movie character it would be like the magical broom in Disney's Fantasia because it comes back as a million plants from every little bit of root.

Negative westdobson On Jul 25, 2006, westdobson from Ann Arbor, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

Stay away from this pretty devil of a plant!! One small pot took over my whole garden and has resisted constant weeding and several applications of Round-Up. It has choked out and killed many small perennials. If this plant were a movie character, it would be the killer bunny in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail."

Positive Primrose7 On Jul 23, 2006, Primrose7 from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

I like this plant and I have no problem with it taking over. My problem is the little black worms that are taking over my Mexican Primrose. I was told to use Sevin 5%. It's a dust and since we have been having a lot of wind and some rain those little pests keep coming back. Anyone out there having the same problem? If so, please let me know what you used to get rid of the little black worms. Thank you.

Neutral croclover On Jul 1, 2006, croclover from Lake Forest, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I dug up some river rock that had been embedded in cement in my back yard when I bought my home, which had suffered from years of neglect. Underneath the cement were some strange roots. Because I was not planning on doing anything with that area, I turned it into a compost pile, covering the roots. A few months later, these lovely flowers came up. Although I think they are beautiful, I am going to pull them up because I don't want them to take over.

Neutral deafcat On May 17, 2006, deafcat from Fresno, CA wrote:

Last fall we ripped out dozens of 30 year old, 40 foot shrubs that had grown into a solid green wall around the property we bought from the original owners. That not only got rid of the rats and ticks, but what was mud all winter is now solid hardpan that I can't cultivate, covered with these beautiful pink wildflowers. I look forward to having them do my work for me and take over a good, big section of this impossible yard!

Negative hekdek On May 2, 2006, hekdek from Columbus, OH wrote:

We have found this plant to be completely invasive. One plant has tried to take over our garden

Negative Gabrielle On Jan 15, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Wow! This is one of the most invasive plants I have ever seen! In it's first year it spread rampantly in soil that isn't much more than clay. It is beautiful, but I am going to work to get rid of it (or at least keep it in check).

Negative mmsharp On Sep 20, 2005, mmsharp from Hillsdale, WY wrote:

This plant grows wild in Wyoming on the plains. A certain amount of moisture at the right time is necessary, or it doesn't come up in the spring. I tried cultivating it, but it did not respond to being dug up and replanted. None of the transplanted plants came back the next season.

Positive chunx On Jul 9, 2005, chunx from San Diego, CA wrote:

For Southern California, it's good for dry banks and areas you seldom water. Mine starts blooming in early March and goes until we get a light frost. HOWEVER....You need to trim these plants (a little beyond deadheading) to keep them blooming well. They reseed and spread to the point of becoming invasive, so only plant them in areas where most other stuff won't survive without ample water. These plants look a lot better than the typical iceplant you see here, but like I said, it needs to be trimmed to look good, whereas iceplant requires no deadheading. After seeing mine growing, lots of neighbors have planted it on their hillsides. In the heat of summer, you will see them wilt to nothing and bounce back by morning. I shoot a little water on them once a week during that time and they come back and spread like wildfire.

Now for the BIG NEGATIVE - Do not do what I did and use it in an area of your flower bed that doesn't get much water. Although the seed packet said that it was extremely invasive, I became a moron and thought I could handle it. It looked great the first year when I started with 2 plants. It filled in the area nicely. The second year, it took over the entire flower bed and choked out my petunias, lavatera, and just about everything else. I got so tired of pulling out the plants by the handfuls only to see it emerge from seedlings within days, that I sprayed the entire flower bed with Roundup and repeated the process 3 weeks later when the seedlings emerged. It took care of the problem, but I had to replant everything. The more water, the faster they spread to the point of taking over the world.

Negative pammyross On Jun 27, 2005, pammyross from Mira Loma, CA wrote:

Don't plant this in an area where you don't want it to overtake everything. Less agressive neighboring plants will suffer unless you are commited to hand pulling this pushy plant away from them. Yes, it's charming in a cottage or country setting, but be mindful of it's propagation by underground runners. I pinched a single sprig from a basket at a neighbor's house 3 years ago, stuck it in the ground (without a thought) outside my front door, and now it's everywhere, despite all of my best efforts. The stuff won't be eradicated.

Positive Kim_M On May 31, 2005, Kim_M from Hamburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Absolutely beautiful! I love invasive...LOL.
I think the negative comments are not fair on this plant. It does what it's suppose to do. Some plants reproduce better then others. Therefore be mindful where you plant it and give it the room it needs. I have found it to be full of blooms and constantly gorgeous! Yes it spreads, but don't put a spreader in a 6 foot garden...LOL. I have mine planted where it can be free.

Negative hanna1 On May 12, 2005, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

put in one plant, it keeps popping up all over, the more I pull the more come back, it's very showy, I should have listened to another customer in the store when she told me not to get it!!!!!

Neutral kate3835 On Apr 25, 2005, kate3835 wrote:

This plant (or a near relative) grows wild along the road in Kansas. I often admired it, and finally stopped to dig some for my garden. I live on 14 acres, so it could actually be pretty invasive and not bother much. I suppose it is proof of my inability as a gardener that I could not get it to grow. It lived for one year and then died out. I think I may have had it in soil that was too rich, considering it does so well along roadways where the soil can't be all that good. I will probably try again and locate it in some really sandy, poor soil.

Negative Forestwalker80 On Apr 23, 2005, Forestwalker80 from Salt Lake City, UT wrote:

I have found this plant to be EXTREMELY INVASIVE. I imported sandy soil to do my xeriscape so that may have something to do with the plants (unfortunate) success. I just spent the last two days trying to eradicate this weed. I am going to use Oenothera caespitosa instead-even more drought tolerant, fragrant flowers and not invasive.

Negative Happenstance On Apr 22, 2005, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

There should be an option for a DOUBLE NEGATIVE!! Never ever plant this is a residential garden unless you want a lot of weeds with a few pink flowers. They are impossible to get rid of and if your neighbors plant them you will have them too. A single 1 gallon can and 7 years later they are a constant presence in the garden, hundreds of little weeds!!

Did I say "don't plant these"......a negative for sure.

Positive angele On Apr 4, 2005, angele wrote:

When I bought my home an in-ground entryway bed was full of these. I pulled them only because I wanted the bed to be a cactus garden. I am delighted when the odd flower pops up and blooms.

Neutral JodyC On Jan 17, 2005, JodyC from Palmyra, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Small bees collect pollen from the flowers, but are unlikely to pollinate them. The size and length of the stamens and stigma suggest that hummingbirds, large butterflies, or day-flying Sphinx moths are more likely to pollinate the flowers while seeking nectar, although I have not observed this. Like many other members of the Evening Primrose family, the foliage can be consumed by various mammalian herbivores, including rabbits, groundhogs, deer, and livestock.

Negative ladyannne On Sep 13, 2004, ladyannne from Merced, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

One plant. One single plant covered an entire yard. We rip it out and cheer the rabbits that eat it. It's actually beautiful in bloom, but golly gee. Daily spring activities include beetle juicing, hand picking and squishing the thousands of Mexican beetles that invade these, then move on to my light roses. Roundup is useless.

Positive pokerboy On Aug 27, 2004, pokerboy from Canberra
Australia (Zone 8b) wrote:

A most beautiful plant!!! I bought mine for $3.90 and forgot about it. It got very tall, wilted and began to lose it's leaves many times and when this happened I left it in a bucket of water ( about 5cm of it ) overnight.It always sprung back up!!!
Very tough and hardy. Now after planting in the ground it has been a sea of beautiful white blooms since Midspring to Now (Early Autumn)!!!, And is spreading wildly. Very beautiful and dainty. Always swarming with bees!!! VERY drought tolerant. Keep in control if you do not want it taking over desirable plants. Everybody should try this plant in either it's white from or it's pink form!!! pokerboy.

Positive dante83r On Aug 7, 2004, dante83r from Ames, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I received 10 or 15 plants from my neighbor in June of this year and now have around 100 of them all over the place. When they pop up somewhere I don't want them to pop, I just pull it and plant it where I want some more of them. I'm constantly making new beds around my yard and love flowers that are this easy to grow.

Neutral tinygal2 On Jul 9, 2004, tinygal2 from Sun City West, AZ wrote:

I live in AZ and planted this plant this year and just love the flower but right after the first 100 degree day some of the plants had no more flowers and one died, what did I do wrong? Also where on the plant is the seed and how could I transplant some of those shoots so they will grow where the one plant died.

Positive ButterflyMom21 On Jul 1, 2004, ButterflyMom21 from San Antonio, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This has always been my favorite Texas wildflower since childhood. For some reason, it refuses to naturally spread into my small acreage... but I have bought seeds (silly since there are so many free ones around!) and hope to plant them at the right time for a beautiful spring crop next year. I'm hoping it will be as "invasive" for me as it has been for the others here on the board. The area I plan to sow it in is a "wild" part of my yard, not my true flower garden area, so I will let it wander naturally around the area as it grows and reseeds and such. Wish me luck!

Neutral CaptMicha On Jun 28, 2004, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

I live in zone 7 and have not found this plant to be invasive. I do grow it in shade so that be may be a factor. My plant stays small with flowers almost as big as the plant itself. It successfully survived our winter here and started flowering the second year.

Editted on June 6th, 2005: This plant did not come back up this year and our winter wasn't especially cold.

Positive ritad316 On Jun 16, 2004, ritad316 from Apollo, PA wrote:

This plant is amazing! I bought two little sprigs for 50 cents at the end of the season last year and it has filled part of my garden! Thousands of blooms that continue to multiply. And if I want them somewhere else - I pull out a bunch and plant them in the new location - and they grow! I have found it in areas that I don't want it - so I just pull it out...I've never seen a plant that is so easy, strong, and pretty! This is my first season for it, so we'll see what happens.

Positive VegasDramaQueen On May 14, 2004, VegasDramaQueen from Henderson, NV wrote:

I love these flowers. They are taking over most of my yard, but that's fine with me. I live in Las Vegas where the temps can get up to 106 to 115 all summer long. It is very dry here and I am wondering just how often I need to water the primose. The say they're drought tolerant but don't say how often is often enough. Please any help would be appreciated.

Positive frostweed On Apr 24, 2004, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

The primrose is a wonderful plant with beautiful flowers that make the country side totally charming during Spring here in Texas. I have a wildflower area in my yard that is gorgeous right now and a joy to all who pass by. The primrose together with bluebonnet and indian paintbrush presents one of the loveliest pictures designed by mother Nature.

Positive coache On Apr 23, 2004, coache wrote:

I'm with all the other 'positives' out there. Known to the indigenous in So. Cal as Grandmother's Necklace, the "invasive" quality so obnoxious in crab grass is charming in her, and she doesn't choke out anything else. A decent weed whacker will cut her down when she's looking weedy, and your lawn mower will take care of her in your lawn. Now, if you're going for a rock garden, she's probably not your best choice, but in all other applications no other ground cover beats Grandmother's Necklace!

Positive tdp123 On Apr 10, 2004, tdp123 from Richmond, CA wrote:

I've had oenothera speciosa in my garden for 2 years, and I love it. I understand that it can be invasive and problemmatic, but in our heavy black California clay (East Bay of San Francisco) and hot summers, it's a winner. We have a sea of pink blooms from May to September. I just let it fill in around my other plants for a meadow effect.

Positive PurplePansies On Aug 7, 2003, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

Very pretty, clear pink, papery flowers. Although they're not noted for their smell. I detected the nicest, soft, Earl Grey, or Bubble Gum? scent. Very easy to grow from seed and re-seeds readily. Easy to grow in full sun, tolerates a range of soils especially very dry. It's least favorite thing is probably very wet or heavy soil. Can be invasive, but is pretty in naturalistic, or wildflower plantings. Can be planted in the perennial border, but deadhead or look out for the seedlings. Easy to grow in more difficult parts of your yard. Thrives in poor soil, (don't overfertilize). A good xeriscape plant. A pretty, durable plant.

Positive Bairie On Aug 2, 2003, Bairie from Corpus Christi, TX (Zone 10a) wrote:

This is my favorite wildflower (south TX) and it comes back every year in the same spots in my yard. It has never been invasive. Maybe that's because over the years, different people have cut my grass for me and no matter what I tell them, they cut most of these flowers down. So I count on the same patches coming up again every spring, and they never have a chance to spread. Maybe next spring.

Positive mysterygirl On Jul 28, 2003, mysterygirl wrote:

I'm new to CA - zone 8/9.5, and found this flower beautiful and easy to grow. YES it is invasive. I planted it next to lavender, which it blends with nicely, but towards the back of a weedy, non-developed hinterland where it can go where it wants. I haven't had a long experience with it, so I'll report back after a couple of years.

Positive Lavanda On Jul 21, 2003, Lavanda from Mcallen, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have observed the plant in different places (different plants) in colors ranging form white to palest pink to a deeper pink.

Here in Texas they are a wildflower, and bloom from April to end of May; after that they do not appear until the next spring.

To control invasiveness (which I do NOT consider it to be since it is only arund about 1 1/2 months per year or less),
but if you think it is so, they can be mown down to control.

In my own case, husband just mows them down much to my chagrin. I would rather them reseed and expand the next year.

The flowers glow at dusk. Beautiful plant.

Positive mocloa On Jul 20, 2003, mocloa from Hendersonville, TN wrote:

This plant has been growing in my garden for the past 5 years. It was originally 5 seedlings that I planted and I had always worried about it not coming back. It is interesting to know that in some areas it can be evasive. It is a nice addition that I look forward to every spring.

Positive Shelly221 On Jul 19, 2003, Shelly221 from Denver, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

I also like this plant. If you don't mind pulling it, to keep it under control. The flowers are beautiful. It's a great potted plant.

Negative swillitts On Apr 7, 2003, swillitts wrote:

Although the plant blooms beautifully in Arizona, we have discovered a problem with this particular plant. We have it planted near our koi pond and it has grown so much that it started invading the water in our creek. After all 15 of my koi died I consulted a pond specialist who informed me that the stems secrete a type of poisonous resin that is toxic to fish. We have since cut the plant away from the water and haven't lost our newest fish as of yet. I'm not still totally convinced of this explanation, but felt it best to share.

Negative Kelli On Mar 14, 2003, Kelli from L.A. (Canoga Park), CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Invasive weed! I can't get rid of it and it never blooms as nicely for me as in the pictures posted here. If it would bloom and look nice in hot weather, I could forgive it, but it just looks scraggly.

Positive Crimson On Feb 3, 2003, Crimson from Clarksville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

I like this plant, I can see where it can be invasive (even in zone 4) but if you put it in a area you don't mind it spreading in (a enclosed area) and it has to compete with other invasive plants it works well. The flowers are very pretty.

Negative paulet On Jan 18, 2003, paulet wrote:

This plant has taken over my garden, and I am constantly trying to weed it out. I have tried everything to rid my garden of this plant, but it comes back.

Positive Chili On Jul 22, 2002, Chili from Raleigh, NC wrote:

DURABLE...!! well suited for use in sidewalk medians/cracks/crevices as it tolerates mowing. Can be very invasive though removal by pulling seems effective.

Neutral Ulrich On May 27, 2002, Ulrich from Manhattan Beach, CA (Zone 11) wrote:

To propagate in frost-free regions, dig up and replant bits of the rhizomes showing sprouts near the end of dormancy. Plant in containers to control rampant spreading.

Neutral Terry On May 17, 2002, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

It can be a nice filler plant, but it WILL take over if you're not careful. I thin this plant by the handfuls several times a year to keep it in check.

Fairhope, Alabama
Tuskegee, Alabama
Bowie, Arizona
Glendale, Arizona
Goodyear, Arizona
Kingman, Arizona
Mesa, Arizona (2 reports)
Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)
Scottsdale, Arizona
Clayton, California
Desert View Highlands, California
East Richmond Heights, California
Fairfield, California
Fallbrook, California (2 reports)
Fortuna, California
Oak View, California
Paso Robles, California
Pomona, California
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Sacramento, California (3 reports)
Tracy, California
Elsberry, Missouri
Piedmont, Missouri
Springfield, Missouri
Henderson, Nevada
Las Vegas, Nevada (2 reports)
Durham, New Hampshire
Columbus, Ohio
Dillonvale, Ohio
Ada, Oklahoma
Hulbert, Oklahoma
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (2 reports)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Maryville, Tennessee
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Sweetwater, Tennessee
Arlington, Texas
Austin, Texas (3 reports)
Boerne, Texas
Collinsville, Texas
Dallas, Texas (2 reports)
Desoto, Texas
Harlingen, Texas
Hereford, Texas
La Vernia, Texas
Mcallen, Texas (3 reports)
Mission, Texas
Mont Belvieu, Texas
New Caney, Texas
Port Arthur, Texas
Portland, Texas
Princeton, Texas
Red Oak, Texas (2 reports)
Red Rock, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)
Santa Fe, Texas
Spicewood, Texas
Spring, Texas (2 reports)
Spring Branch, Texas
Victoria, Texas
Wills Point, Texas
Salt Lake City, Utah (2 reports)
Fort Valley, Virginia