Belladonna Lily, Naked Lady
Amaryllis belladonna

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Amaryllis (am-uh-RIL-us) (Info)
Species: belladonna (bel-uh-DON-nuh) (Info)
Synonym:Brunsvigia rosea

Bulbs

Blue-Green

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Dothan, Alabama

Montrose, California

Morgan Hill, California

Nevada City, California

North Fork, California

Oak View, California (2 reports)

Oakland, California

Ridgecrest, California

Rio Linda, California

Roseland, California

Sacramento, California

San Jose, California (3 reports)

Seal Beach, California

Braselton, Georgia

Dahlonega, Georgia

Hawkinsville, Georgia

Canton, Illinois

Chicago, Illinois (2 reports)

Elgin, Illinois

Blanchardville, Wisconsin

Menasha, Wisconsin

negative

On Sep 3, 2014, r0cKin from Salina, KS wrote:

I have these Naked Ladies growing on the east side of the house. They have been here for many, many years. They have always bloomed the 1st week of August and for some reason they bloomed a bit early this year (2014) I just wanted to include that we are in Salina, Kansas zone 6a and they do not need to be lifted. Many yards all over Salina, KS have these beautiful, surprising flowers in them. So add Kansas to your list of hardiness.

On Aug 17, 2014, JeffinWV from Shepherdstown, WV wrote:

Saw dozens of these in bloom last week in and around Martinsburg, WV and Shepherdstown, WV. They were flourishing in bloom (August 9th-ish).
So, ordered bulbs myself and will try planting!

On Aug 2, 2014, lkteach from Defiance, OH wrote:

the plant is very tolerant of varying conditions. it seems to bloom no matter how wet or dry the growing season is. we had very harsh conditions this past winter and the flowering just starting to as it has in years past, even with the extreme cold.

On Oct 16, 2013, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

The is a lot confusion about two plants cka naked ladies. One is amaryllis belladonna and the other is lycoris squamigera. I grow both and it wasn't until I opened seedpods that I realized that, in a particular section of my garden, I grew amaryllis belladonna. Flowers are very, very similar on both. For me, the way to distinguish is that a. belladonna has fleshy seeds that look a lot like pearl onions. L. squamigera has hard, black seeds. I will have to wait until I get seed pods on my other clumps for positive ID.

On Jan 16, 2013, Don_Gehr from Everton, AR wrote:

When we moved to this house several years ago 2 Naked Ladied showed up. The next year 4. Well I decided I didn't want them where they where so dug up the 4 I had seen and moved them to the other area. The next year 8 bloomed in the area I had removed the four from and 12 bloomed in the area where I had planted the 4. Idon't care whether it has been dry or wet I have a load of blooms. For me the more the merrier.

On Aug 27, 2012, svwildflower from Juneau, AK wrote:

I'm on the Olympic Peninsula, Washington State. I was given a start of these by a man in Edmonds. Only one made it through the first winter (two years) ago. This year it looks like I have about six of them. The leaves are just dying out, but the flowers should make it before the season is over. These are bright pink and are blooming when all else is gone.

On Aug 8, 2012, RosinaBloom from Waihi
New Zealand (Zone 1) wrote:

Amaryllis (Brunsvigia rosea) - belladonna lillies used to be considered to be the only true species that belong to this genus. Their large bulbs usually sit on top of the ground, with their fleshy roots deeply and firmly anchored. They do well in an open, sun-baked, dry spot. The scapes of blooms appear after the first autumn rains, and before the leaves develop. They are long lasting as cut flowers. From the palest of pink to a deep pink are: 'Southern Cross',
'Babtisi Rosea', 'Multiflora Rosea' and 'Beacon". Family: Amaryllidaceae.

On Jul 30, 2012, RxBenson from Pikesville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

QUESTION: How can I tell if I have Lycoris squamigera or Amaryllis belladonna? (I am in Zone 7A.)

On May 18, 2011, gtfoomwaz from Glendale, AZ wrote:

I water my amaryllis every few weeks in the summer in Glendale Az. I haven't had any luck with them without summer water.

On Mar 31, 2011, bklaschus from Ridgecrest, CA wrote:

Naked Ladies don't mind extreme growing conditions. Mine are transplants from Turlock, CA, in the San Joaquin Valley, and they are thriving in the Mojave Desert, where temperatures range from the mid-teens in the winter to 120 in the summer.

On Jan 17, 2011, Lorra from Indianapolis, IN wrote:

Lorra Z5a, Indiana

Does this lily behave differently in different climates? In Indiana the leaves grow in the spring and the ladies pop up in August. Wvbill refers to spring blooms; GuerrillaGurl, CA, refers to their multiplying rapidly. I had some at the old house and they never really multiplied in 30 years. But they always bloomed. Wish I had brought them with me.

On Jan 15, 2011, holyredeemer from Marseilles, IL wrote:

THANKS FOR ALLTHE INFO ON THE PLANT,We have about 300 hundred and they are just beutiful,now that we know the name of the plant were going to plant more --GREAT PLANT--

On Oct 7, 2010, pinkNLlover from Thousand Oaks, CA wrote:

I have been growing this plant since 1997 from a bulb which I purchased at "The Conservatory" in Malibu, CA when the busness closed. The blooming began within two years after planting and currently blooms from mid June to Nov. with soft pink fragrent scents. Stems are mostly dark green/golden brown year round unless in a drout, then stem color is dark red/purple. The soil is firm and drains well by adding salt free sand (medium). Bee's are attracted to this flower as well as a few butterflies and humming birds. I have had no problems with kids or pets eating this plant. The flowers are high on a long stock, about 4 ft. up. Very happy with this plant overall.

On Aug 28, 2010, wvbill from Paw Paw, WV wrote:

We have grown the Belladona Lily in the Potomac Highlands near Paw Paw, WV for 15 years. These are bulbs that I brought from my mother's house in Berkeley,Ca. The leaves get nipped by freezing weather but come back with vigor in the spring. Deer will try leaves but really like the flower buds before they open. They also are growing near Bloomery, WV. It is wonderful to have a spring type of flower when little else is in bloom.

On Mar 2, 2010, ladyfromTucson from Tucson, AZ wrote:

I'm from Tucson, AZ and my Uncle Charlie brought some bulbs out from Minnesota to me. I have shared bulbs with my neighbors for over 15 years now. I have planted them on the west side of my home but has afternoon shade from my Southern Oak trees. They are beautiful all winter with the green foliage but not becoming when they are drying before bloom time. Not as many blooms last year. Just divided and hopefully they will recover for this years bloom.

On Dec 29, 2009, jitamama from Colorado Springs, CO wrote:

I purchased the naked lady plant in 1992 and planted it at my mom's house in Pueblo, CO. Every summer it's been an exciting event to travel home and see it bloom year after year. This plant doesn't take any special care for it bloom.

On Nov 4, 2009, Waywardowl from Flagstaff, AZ wrote:

My Grandmother grew these in the field outside of her living room window. I remember them fondly as a child, and would pick them for bouquets. They are posionous (the cows never touched them), but not as poisionous as most. I feel that it is always safe to assume that all plants are will be harmful if ingested, unless otherwise told.

On Oct 22, 2009, GuerrillaGurl from Watsonville, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I haven't found this to be true, but then again, bulbils are not seeds. Nonetheless, the bulbils do grow into fully mature bulbs which share the characteristics of the mother plant. So, if you don't want them to multiply like crazy, deadhead before the bulbils mature!

On Aug 10, 2009, suvmommy from Aliso Viejo, CA wrote:

Just want to note that these belladonna lillies or Amaryllis Belladonna's are POISONOUS if ANY part of the plant is consumed.

I found these beautiful flowers on the side of the road in Laguna Beach, CA, cut one stem to bring to our local nursury so hopefully, they could tell me what they were. The nursury told me what they were and I went home in the pursuit of finding the bulbs online since the nursury wasn't going to be selling them until Jan. sometime.

Come to find out, they are POISONOUS!!! I know there are many flowers and plants that are harmful or poisonous but I would think that anyone that has small children would want to avoid this plant/flower...too risky if you ask me. Maybe you'll be able to keep your toddlers out of them and them out of th... read more

On Apr 24, 2008, shibby1327 from Osceola, IA wrote:

When we bought our house 2 years ago, we had these crazy plants and flowers coming up in our side yard. I had no idea what they were and forgot about them. I don't know if the previous owners planted them there or how they got where they did.

That summer we had bought the house, they came up and I thought they were pretty. The next summer, they came up again but my husband kept mowing over them. I had no where to move them since we hadn't done any landscaping. Also last summer, we tilled up our entire yard to re-seed it. The builder hadn't seeded the yard, so a lot of weeds grew and not much grass. I thought that since the plants had been mowed over and tilled up, they wouldn't survive. But to my surprise, this spring the green leaves came up and were still growing in the s... read more

On Sep 15, 2007, dfourer from Chicago, IL wrote:

I want to report that Amaryllis belladonna grows in Chicago, IL in zone 5, in a weedy, neglected south-exposure sight. The soil is sandy. It has returned for many years and formed 2 clumps of 8-10 bulbs. One clump is up against a maple tree and another is about one foot from the south wall of a building. Bulbs are about 1.5 inches wide and slender with long necks.

On Aug 10, 2007, Opoetree from Oak View, CA wrote:

Our naked ladies just turned up in our garden voluntarily. As time has gone on, more and more have joined the clan and we have even relocated them several times. We love the fact that the foliage comes...the foliage goes...everything appears to be barren -- when...VOILA! here come the ladies in all their nakedness and haunting perfumery. They are truly ladies who show up on the sly and then show off like the exhibitionists they are. We love that they came uninvited -- we have invited them to stay on permanently!

On Aug 3, 2007, brown50990 from Oklahoma City, OK wrote:

I received some bulbs from a neighbor about 2 years ago and this summer I have had wonderful pink/blue highlighted blooms for the first time. They are growing in partial shade and require no care which is also a great bonus. I have been cutting some of my blooms for indoor enjoyment and they are now bulging with seed pods where the flower was. I still have the stalks in water which seems to be working for them and I should have plenty to share if I can get them mature and viable.

On Sep 1, 2006, sakura11 from San Diego, CA wrote:

I have success growing the "Naked Lady" in containers in our area (outside San Diego, CA) although summer temps have been in the 90-100's (even up to 106 this year.) Other than using some organic blub food when I planted them, I have done nothing special nor given them any extra watering. Since the temp can drop to the 30's in the winter and the blubs are in containers, I do move them into a shed in the winter.

I have also had success growing them in the ground in Northern California, where once again, summer temps were in excess of 100 degrees and no special attention was paid to them. In fact, the ones we have here came from my father's yard in Lincoln, CA, where they grow behind the garage, under a cedar tree, with no encouragment.

It has been my exper... read more

On Jul 25, 2006, GRosson from San Jose, CA wrote:

Like others, these lovely scented flowers have been a part of my life (I am not 55) since My Grandmother had them... the bulbs I have now are derivative from hers. Hers are still growing at the family home in Oxnard CA.

I have always heard a gardening tale that these can predict an early winter.... I think it may be true. Our usually bloom here in August. They are currently blooming now...

I concur they are pretty idiot proof. (I have no green thumb and still they flourish.)

On Jun 1, 2006, choffman41 from Mokelumne Hill, CA wrote:

We're in the Sierra foothills, 1500 ft. elevation. Summer highs reach 105, winter lows usually low 20's. These things grow and multiply very well here. They will pop up in late summer in the driest clay soil and bloom. I dig them up every few years, divide them and replant. Next year they all seem to come up. I started with a few, now have hundreds. Very easy and dependable. Don't seem to need any attention.

On May 13, 2006, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Belladonna Lily, Naked Lady are deer and rodent proof. Like berrygirl, I have had my plants for 2 years and they have never bloomed. The bulbs are large and the foliage is very healthy looking. I am so disappointed at the end of each summer because I anxiously anticipate seeing the blooms which do not appear. They are in a container. Maybe this year I will be lucky.

Update: This plant did not bloom in 2007. In 2008, I left it out of the greenhouse all winter hoping that this might encourage it to bloom. Now in August, 2008, the plant's foliage has never died died back even during a scorching summer and a drought. I will not have blooms for another year. Disappointment continues.

On Apr 1, 2006, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have had these for about 2 years. I have foliage but no blooms. I just recently learned they don't like wet summers. Where I had them growing I regularly watered there. I am moving these to a drier area in the Fall.

On Sep 4, 2005, sandyksk from Sanger, CA wrote:

We love these flowers! They were planted by my husband's mother, and now we live in the house she grew up in. The bulbs are very large now. We get an abundance of these popping up all over. We've collected the 'seed pods' and now our grandchildren are planting them in even more places for more wonderful surprises in the coming years. Easiest flower of all in our gardens...they virtually take care of themselves and surprise us every summers end. :) (We live in the Central Valley in California)

On Aug 22, 2004, pokerboy from Canberra
Australia (Zone 8b) wrote:

Great hardy bulbs available in pink and white. Likes full sun. Great flowers. Low maintenance plants. pokerboy.

On Jul 14, 2004, Wendylee from Orem, UT wrote:

I got my plants from Caliente ,NV. They were my grandmother's. I started with 8 and now have over 20. I have given them out to my friends. They do not bloom the first year, and you only get the green in the spring. The green dies completely like other bulbs. The flowers boom around August 1st. They do grow very well in Orem, UT. Wendylee

On Mar 31, 2004, ladyannne from Merced, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I was curious about the pods that are left after the flower, trying to dry them, etc. Finally I figured it out! Once the pod cracks open from being dried on the stem, take out the seeds and place them on a tray between layers of wet (but not swimming) paper towel. Put the tray somewhere in the house (sunny room) and forget about them for about a month except to keep them moist. I now have hundreds of these I popped into pots.

On Sep 9, 2003, Dil from Manhattan Beach, CA wrote:

For the past two years the "Naked Ladies" have bloomed in July in Healdsburg, California with our first rain arriving in mid-November. This year they started blooming at the end of August and some haven't even bloomed yet. I wonder if the earlier they bloom, the sooner winter will arrive...

On Aug 30, 2003, Shelly221 from Denver, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

Grows well in zone 4 also. Mine came up from under the compost bin, fairly hardy plants!

On Apr 22, 2003, Sunflower62 wrote:

I have good memories about this plant and one big regret. My favorite aunt gave me some of these bulbs for my birthday, and I cherished them because they came from her garden in Monrovia, CA. I planted them in my garden in La Cresenta, CA., and when we moved from that home to a new home in Laguna Niguel, CA, I took them with me.

There we enjoyed them as they would pop up (it seemed) from behind a small wall bordering our swimming pool. My husband and I had great fun going thorough a ritual of Oh look the Naked Ladies are out by the pool!. Where upon hearing that, the other would rush to our kitchen window, and feign surprise and shock. My only regret is that when we moved from that home I didnt take the Ladies with me.

On Apr 22, 2003, Zanymuse from Scotia, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

The green strappy leaves add a wonderful and welcome sight in the spring but are unsightly when they die back. Best if hidden behind something where the dying leaves will not be so noticeable. The tall pink blooms with no foliage are wonderful by themselves or sticking up behind a low-growing hedge.

On Aug 6, 2002, Kell from Northern California, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

These are no fuss bulbs. Make sure you plant them with their necks out of the ground. They put out lush green leaves all winter in milder areas. They start to die back in late spring early summer. Then they go dormant until the flower stalks emerge in the latter part of summer. There are no leaves when they flower which is how they got their name of Naked Lady. They form nice thick clumps and like to be crowded to form lots of flowers. The pink is the most common color but you can find them in darker pink, white and combinations of white and pink. Once established they do not need anything special. I rarely water or fertilize these at all and they always put on a
great show for me.

On Dec 5, 2001, Floridian from Lutz, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

The African Amaryllis (A. belladonna) is the "true" Amaryllis. It was discovered growing wild on the Cape of Good Hope by a few Dutch growers who emigrated to South Africa. This wild Amaryllis produced two and three spikes per bulb, each spike with four to six flowers. Soon it was crossed with the Dutch Amaryllis Hippeastrum, which was the beginning of a new race of Amaryllis which have many of the good characteristics of the Dutch Amaryllis, as well as those of the robust, wild African ones. four to six flowers.

Plant the bulbs 4 inches deep in well-drained soil and in a sunny growing area. The plant produces leaves in spring. The leaves die down in early summer. After about two months the flower stems and fragrant pink flowers appear. It is advisable to stake th... read more