Cuban Buttercup, White Turnera

Turnera subulata

Family: Passifloraceae (pas-ih-flor-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Turnera (TER-ner-uh) (Info)
Species: subulata (sub-yoo-LAH-tuh) (Info)
Synonym:Turnera trioniflora

Lacombe, Louisiana

Anderson, Texas

Galveston, Texas

On Dec 26, 2006, Rainbowman18 from Weston, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Very positive experience in growing this particular plant. I have a couple of full stands about 2.5 feet high with pure bright yellow flowers. See specimen included. I find that this plant will spread to other areas of the garden without planting seeds or taking cuttings.

It likes brighter light and does not flourish too well in full shade. I also find that cutting back on the fragile stems will give a much bushier plant. It gows very well in Weston , Florida, and I plan to cultivate more plants as singular specimen plants around my garden.

I basically can re-transplant the smaller, tender growth in any area that I think it will do well in. I look forward to having multiple plants and a rich display of those beautiful pure yellow flowers to contrast with my ... read more

On Aug 23, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

This is a pretty plant... while it doesn-t scape from your garden and start invading wild areas. It has happened here. In the coastal original vegetation areas, on white sand, this plant can be found easily.

However, its a nice plant. The flowers stay there for a few hours during the morning, and they fade around noon, though in the next morning lots of new flowers will be there

On Jun 27, 2003, sharon54 from Lake Alfred, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

The foliage reminds me of the leaves of a lantana plant. I think this plant is a native Florida plant, and is also referred to as beach buttercup. It seems to stand up to the salt air.