Hybrid Tea Rose
Rosa 'Oklahoma'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Oklahoma

Flower Fragrance:

Very Fragrant

Habit:

Bush

Can be trained as a standard or tree form

Other Details:

Resistant to black spot

Resistant to mildew

Resistant to rust

Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

Tonopah, Arizona

Auburndale, Florida

Panama City, Florida

Rowley, Massachusetts

Thomasville, North Carolina

Columbus, Ohio (2 reports)

Ada, Oklahoma

Wells, Texas

Olympia, Washington

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

On Feb 2, 2014, Corsetiere from Columbus, OH wrote:

I can't say enough to recommend this rose! I have 18 of these along my fence and they are truly incredible. The extremely dark red color and intense sweet fragrance draw a lot of compliments. The petals make wonderful rose water for use in soaps and lotions and I even make rose-flavoured ice cream from them!

I bought them from Northland Rosarium in 2011 and planted them on a slope. They seem to really appreciate the drainage because after 2 growing seasons (in Ohio) they had reached 6 feet tall! I also fertilize them with run off water from cleaning the filters in our koi pond. They love it!

On Jun 15, 2013, upshotphx from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

Nice plant. Bought it cheap at box store and poor thing was infested with spider mites. Managed to eradicate the mites(major pain) with floramite, and it exploded the next year and has been doing great since then. Doesn't bloom too much during extreme summer heat here in phoenix, but the plant tolerates the heat well and blooms beautifully during fall and spring.

On May 7, 2010, Scooty1001 from Columbus, OH wrote:

Some summers...these blooms get as large as softballs. The CLASSIC rose bush. I winterize this plant by heavy mulching in the Fall. Grows close to my home so ambient heat helps. Not sure if it would survive an Ohio winter out in the yard. If you buy only one rose bush...this would have to the one to purchase.

On Jan 31, 2008, mathlady from Sulphur, OK wrote:

Our soil is mildly alkaline, as the region is limestone-based. The Oklahoma rose in my garden had no pests, no black spot (despite heavy rains all through May and June) and no powdery mildew. It bloomed constantly from the day we planted it until the first hard freeze. The fragrance is heavenly. Another member mentioned that it "glows". That is so true! I heartily recommend this variety.

On May 15, 2006, skizhake from Texas City, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Absolutely wonderful.. First rose i am growing. Fragrance to die for. Growing strong and blooming well. Needs to be kept fairly moist though. One hot day when it didnt get enough moisture it started to wilt but perked right back up with moisture. In a south facing area and gets brutal heat for 6 -7 hours afternoon sun.
cant wait to propogate and have more of these babies!

On Jun 11, 2004, leahsgran from Sible Hedingham
United Kingdom wrote:

Report from the UK. Grows by my front door, on a south facing wall, full scorching sun (when we get it!!). Soil here has a lots of lime content as my house is old and has lime mortar, which leaches out. Roots shaded by pots, well watered daily in summer. Flowers non-stop all season, May- October. Smell to die for. Fed twice yearly with Rose food. Cut hard back end March. Loved it so much bought another for the back garden. This one is in better soil, added spent mushroom compost, grown on trellis in a mixed cottage border. Both plants bought as bare rooted in local cheap shop for 1.99!! yes 1.99 each!! Black spot is a problem, but I just cut off offending bits and burn.

On Jun 17, 2003, RubyStar from Madison, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

Another fave in my garden, this rose has very dark red color, and literally glows when in full bloom. I've seen it be even darker, with almost purple overtones. Gorgeous color on a high-centered, large double bloom.

And fragrance to die for! Very strong old-rose scent.

Requires good winter protection in areas where it goes below freezing in winter, but will still grow 6' canes in a single season, even if it dies back to the ground.

Very disease resistant in my garden.