Propeller Plant, Red Crassula, Airplane Plant, Scarlet Paintbrush, Keiserskroon

Crassula perfoliata subsp. falcata

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Crassula (KRASS-oo-la) (Info)
Species: perfoliata subsp. falcata

Cactus and Succulents

Silver/Gray

Blue-Green

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

Grenoble,

Manhattan Beach, California

Mission Viejo, California

Palm Springs, California

Reseda, California

San Diego, California (3 reports)

San Marcos, California

Santa Barbara, California

Spring Valley, California

Wichita, Kansas

Cleveland, Ohio

Portland, Texas

On Dec 6, 2016, AFinSD from San Diego, CA wrote:

My spouse and I have this plant in our collection. It is in a pot, and has done quite well for us.

The plant has flowered for us a few times now. The red flowers are quite striking in contrast to the silvery succulent foliage.

On Jul 28, 2015, Mark_B from Garden Grove, CA wrote:

These are drought-tolerant plants that seldom need watering. Perhaps one a week is enough, but watch the texture of the plant. If the skin of the plant looks slightly shriveled, it's time to give it water. I heard it will rot if overwatered, but I've given ours too much water and it's fine. Flower buds start to form in mid to late July, and they will open in August in Southern California. Growth habit is semi-upright and tends towards drooping.

On Feb 8, 2015, RosinaBloom from Waihi,
New Zealand (Zone 1) wrote:

Good to hear of all the tips about this great plant. Thea gave me a good sized plant today which I have just planted in a pot, and given it a watering to get it off to a good start. So I will leave it to do its thing in the dry.

On Sep 3, 2011, BlueScarlett from El Cerrito, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

My Crassula-Falcata just bloomed magnificently! Tiny bright red flowers that soon opened to little yellow stamens inside. Beautiful! And then just a few days later the DEER came and ATE all the flowers!!! Next time it blooms I'll know to cover it with netting.

On Aug 22, 2009, msironi from Los Angeles, CA wrote:

I just bought and added to my collection, a beauty in bloom. Unless I am mistaken, the bloom has a mild scent, which is unusual for a succulent. Anyone else noticed scent from the flowers?

On Jan 24, 2009, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

I like this plant for its great form,interesting look. But,I have found that it does not like a clay soil. Better in pots if clay is what you have.

On Dec 9, 2006, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Nice looking plant for the yard, but head what Norma says- dry dry dry... this is particularly true at flowering time... I watered mine a bit too much (once or twice was all) at this time and it rapidly rotted. So I no longer water it in warm weather (winter rains don't seem to hurt it any) and have not had any losses since (in southern California)

On Dec 23, 2001, Crasulady2 from Valley Village, CA wrote:

Grey green leaves, about 8" long, going opposite directions, slanting down, like a propeller, must have strong full sun to flower in July-Nov. Easy to grow, great big red heads of flowers, butterfly's, bees, birds love this favorite plant. A must have. Easy to take cuttings, break off a leaf and drop it on the ground, it will also offset, break off part of the stem, wait until you see pink brush like roots, then plant. Very little water, dry, dry, dry.