Propeller Plant, Red Crassula, Airplane Plant, Scarlet Paintbrush, Keiserskroon

Crassula perfoliata subsp. falcata

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Crassula (KRASS-oo-la) (Info)
Species: perfoliata subsp. falcata
Synonym:Crassula falcata
Synonym:Crassula perfoliata var. falcata
Synonym:Rochea falcata
Synonym:Crassula falcata
Synonym:Crassula falcata var. minor

Cactus and Succulents

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

Azusa, California

Manhattan Beach, California

Mission Viejo, California

Palm Springs, California

Reseda, California

San Diego, California (2 reports)

Santa Barbara, California

Spring Valley, California

Wichita, Kansas

Cleveland, Ohio

Portland, Texas

On Jul 28, 2015, Mark_B from Garden Grove, CA wrote:

These are drought-tolerant plants that seldom need watering. Perhaps one a week is enough, but watch the texture of the plant. If the skin of the plant looks slightly shriveled, it's time to give it water. I heard it will rot if overwatered, but I've given ours too much water and it's fine. Flower buds start to form in mid to late July, and they will open in August in Southern California. Growth habit is semi-upright and tends towards drooping.

On Feb 8, 2015, RosinaBloom from Waihi
New Zealand (Zone 1) wrote:

Good to hear of all the tips about this great plant. Thea gave me a good sized plant today which I have just planted in a pot, and given it a watering to get it off to a good start. So I will leave it to do its thing in the dry.

On Sep 3, 2011, BlueScarlett from El Cerrito, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

My Crassula-Falcata just bloomed magnificently! Tiny bright red flowers that soon opened to little yellow stamens inside. Beautiful! And then just a few days later the DEER came and ATE all the flowers!!! Next time it blooms I'll know to cover it with netting.

On Aug 22, 2009, msironi from Los Angeles, CA wrote:

I just bought and added to my collection, a beauty in bloom. Unless I am mistaken, the bloom has a mild scent, which is unusual for a succulent. Anyone else noticed scent from the flowers?

On Jan 24, 2009, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

Grown in pots was always a case of it would grow-then rot. Or grow well-and sooo slow. Finally after many years,I just planted it. In part shade,the growth has been slow but perfect looking. I dont know how many years before they grow the large and sometimes very large sickle shaped leaves that I have seen on greenhouse grown plants. They do flower well before then I know that. They sort of have a bitter sweet flowering-very colorful but also herald the coming end of summer-even if it is warm for another two months.

On Dec 9, 2006, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Nice looking plant for the yard, but head what Norma says- dry dry dry... this is particularly true at flowering time... I watered mine a bit too much (once or twice was all) at this time and it rapidly rotted. So I no longer water it in warm weather (winter rains don't seem to hurt it any) and have not had any losses since (in southern California)

On Dec 23, 2001, Crasulady2 from Valley Village, CA wrote:

Grey green leaves, about 8" long, going opposite directions, slanting down, like a propeller, must have strong full sun to flower in July-Nov. Easy to grow, great big red heads of flowers, butterfly's, bees, birds love this favorite plant. A must have. Easy to take cuttings, break off a leaf and drop it on the ground, it will also offset, break off part of the stem, wait until you see pink brush like roots, then plant. Very little water, dry, dry, dry.