Annual Mallow, Rose Mallow, Royal Mallow, Regal Mallow
Malva trimestris

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Malva (MAL-vuh) (Info)
Species: trimestris (try-MES-tris) (Info)
Synonym:Lavatera trimestris

Not Applicable

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Anchorage, Alaska

Santa Fe, Texas

Ocean Shores, Washington

Tacoma, Washington

On Oct 1, 2011, behnat from Tacoma, WA wrote:

Love this flower! On a whim I bought a fifty cent box of wildflower seeds on my way out of Walgreens one spring day just to see if anything would grow in a sad little space I didn't have time to tend that even the weeds didn't care for. Best $.50 I ever spent because that sad little area came alive with color! The Rose Mallow has been blooming since early July and is thriving here in the Pacific NW despite a cooler summer, little watering on my part, and not so fertile soil. It's lovely!
Gonna try saving the seeds and I can't wait to see them grow next year!

On Jul 28, 2008, pinkcountryrose from Ottawa, Ontario

I love the lavatera! I grew it for the first time last year and loved it so much that I took the seeds off of it and started 100 of them in the house in March. I planted 60 plants in a row across my back hedge and they are beautiful. Yesterday I noticed a couple pure white blooms growing right from the same plant that is loaded with pink blooms. What a beautiful surprise. I shared the rest of my seedlings with friends.
Beautiful showy flower that requires no work....Other than staking them to keep them from falling over from heavy blooms. I think I'll start 200 next year.

On Nov 11, 2007, AnneCS from Vaughan, ON (Zone 5b) wrote:

Beautiful plants easily grown from seed sown directly outdoors.

This was my first year growing Lavatera from seed. I dead-headed daily for the first few weeks when they began to bloom, then became overwhelmed and gave up, however they continued to bloom heavily until frost here while producing a fair amount of seed.

If planted closer together than the suggested spacing, they can grow into an appealing bush-like form.

On Aug 31, 2006, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Lavatera trimestris is Naturalized in Texas and other States.

On Jul 26, 2005, chunx from San Diego, CA wrote:

I grow these each year from seeds, both white and pink varieties. This year I tried the new series called Twins. They bloom more vigorously than types I've grown in the past, but still only look good for a couple of weeks. I've tried deadheading and still few blooms after the initial show. Now I just start new seed at 2 week intervals and plant and pull out the old ones after they bloom. Works here (San Diego) very well but is time consuming. For the show of flowers, they can't be beat, but not worth the effort if you don't have the time to plant every 2 weeks.

On Jul 25, 2005, trois from Santa Fe, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

Three of these plants with beautiful flowers came up in one of our planter boxes. It took a while to ID them, but I was finally able to get some expert advice from members.

On Jun 21, 2005, huggybear from Anchorage, AK wrote:

Color ranges from white (silver cup) to light pink, deep rose, and shades of lavender. It is a reliable and attractive climber, thrives in marginal soil, and benefits from frequent deadheading. It looks especially nice against a fence, rock wall, or trellis.

On Jan 17, 2005, LilyLover_UT from Ogden, UT (Zone 5b) wrote:

Lavatera is easy to grow from seed, and it's one of the showiest annuals.

On Jul 24, 2004, woohoopepper from Bourbonnais, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

This has been a joy and so easy to grow. I think they are beautiful and the color vibrant. Started to bloom here (zone 5b) about mid July.

On Jan 4, 2001, lantana from (Zone 7a) wrote:

Grows in Heat Zones 12-1.

On Nov 6, 2000, jody from MD &, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This species of Lavatera is an annual, it grows to about 2' high with a spread of 18". Sort of shrubby. The flowers come in white or shades of pink are 3" trumpet shaped. Blooms in summer to early autumn. Best cultivated in in sun. Reblooms with deadheading. Propagate from seed.