Flaming Glory Bower, Pagoda Flower, Giant Salvia

Clerodendrum speciosissimum

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clerodendrum (kler-oh-DEN-drum) (Info)
Species: speciosissimum (spee-kee-oh-SIS-ee-mum) (Info)
Synonym:Clerodendrum fallax

Bushnell, Florida

Cape Coral, Florida

Clermont, Florida

Crawfordville, Florida

Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2 reports)

Fort Pierce, Florida

Gainesville, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida (3 reports)

Jupiter, Florida

Orlando, Florida

Ormond Beach, Florida

Palm Bay, Florida

Palm City, Florida

Pompano Beach, Florida (2 reports)

Port Charlotte, Florida

Saint Petersburg, Florida

Spring Hill, Florida

Tampa, Florida (2 reports)

Trenton, Florida

Valparaiso, Florida

Venice, Florida

Vero Beach, Florida

Wauchula, Florida

Wellborn, Florida

West Palm Beach, Florida

Zephyrhills, Florida (2 reports)

Augusta, Georgia

Douglas, Georgia

Hawaiian Paradise Park, Hawaii

Pepeekeo, Hawaii

Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2 reports)

Mandeville, Louisiana

New Orleans, Louisiana

Pearl River, Louisiana

Slaughter, Louisiana

Youngsville, Louisiana

Zachary, Louisiana

Los Fresnos, Texas

On Jul 22, 2014, jlevert from Augusta, GA wrote:

This Clerodendrum runs around, but I wouldn't call it invasive. It is very easy to control. It survived 13F this past winter (2014) and is blooming now. It is growing in poor sand , but doesn't seem to mind poor soil. Great plant with lots of appeal.

On Jul 23, 2012, forgottenfl from Crawfordville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I'm beginning to call this plant "the gift that keeps on giving". As others have said, "I had to have it"; saw it in a local yard where it is planted in an oriental type garden with Pagoda and Japenese Maples - stunning. Anyway, doing very well and has been blooming non-stop. I'm totally sold on this plant.

On May 26, 2012, TipuanaTipu from Campbell, FL wrote:

Just thought I would clarify that some people are stating two different Latin names for this plant. Most of the pictures posted here are correct and the plant is in fact a Clerodendrum "Speciosissimum". The most common name is Glory Bower.

There is one picture posted here of Clerodendrum "paniculatum" which is most commonly called Pagoda Flower.

A speciosissimum stem does not bloom at once into a pagoda shape at all. Its flowers march up the stem with the older flowers falling off, creating more of a flat-topped cylinder. Each flower is 3/4" in diameter and the color a scarlet-orange with a glow (in good shade. Exposure to a few hours of sunlight will fade the flowers color).

A "paniculatum" on the other hand is a less glowing color yet does blo... read more

On Jul 28, 2011, wever from Bedford, IN wrote:

My sister-in-law in Tangipahoa Parish Louisiana has been trying for many years to identify this plant growing in a flower garden at her home built pre-1860. She will be delighted when I report having found it on your website. It has proved itself to be hardy, bugfree and beautiful for as long as she can remember (we are in our late 60's). I do not know whether it would thrive here in Indiana where I live. Thanks for a great resourse.

On Jan 17, 2011, floridakicksass2 from Marco Island, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

Question: Anyone know what this plant's lifespan (how long does it live) in zone 10+??
Is it possible for it to bloom year-round in mild climates of zone 10+?

On Jan 21, 2010, jpaczkowski0 from Houston, TX wrote:

I bought 2 of these plants last Spring through the mail and it took some time for them to start growing leaves, but then they just flourished. They actually grew so fast I almost didn't have room for them. However, for no reason that I can think of, they just dropped all their leaves about the end of August. These are planted in part sun/shade and do receive some afternoon sun. They receive an average amount of water, but I can't figure out what happened. So I dug them back up, ammended the soil with more compost and built the beds higher. They started growing leaves again and then we received a very rare bout of freezes here in Houston, TX. They dropped their leaves again. I hope you are right when you say they will come back, but I still don't understand why they dropped their leaves for... read more

On Aug 4, 2009, MaxTBear from Manhattan Beach, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Hmmm... all these pagoda flower lovers from Florida. Well, I bought this plant at a local nursery last year. Without knowing anything about it, I brought it home and planted it near my palm tree without any special care. It's in heaven here in Manhattan Beach! Earlier this year, I returned to the same nursery and bought another one. Here, few people are familiar with this lovely plant, but I love how it looks against my back wall near the palms. It actually gets partial sun, but seems to prefer that since it is planted against a south-facing wall. Caterpillars are a problem, so I spray regularly in summer. This winter, I plan on trimming it back a bit so that it will grow bushier next year. Don't know much about trimming it, so if anyone has advice, I would surely appreciate it.

On Jul 26, 2009, fullsun007 from Gainesville, FL wrote:

Having first seen this plant growing at the Kanapaha Botanical Gardens here in Gainesville Florida (zone 8B). I new I had to it in my yard. The vivid red flowers are up to an inch in diameter with the protruding stamens and they last from late June through September. The flowers attract hummingbirds, butterflies and ants. I have some planted in full sun and other in more shady locations. In the winter I provide no additional protection. This past winter we had 2 nights with back to back nights of 21oF and this knocked them back to the ground. It is now the end of July and they are in full flower and over 5 feet tall. If you want a wow tropical splash of vivid color and large heart shaped leaves this plant is well worth a try at least in zone 8B.

On Feb 9, 2008, ivytucker from Cape Coral, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

This is such a great plant and truly reflects the "Old Florida" Landscape style. The plant thrives under adversity but is absloutely stunning when given even a small amount of TLC. It needs a good trimming once or twice a year in our area. It continues to bloom as long as the temps stay "warm". Cold temps in the thirties are not to it's liking but it only means that it will slow down it's flower production a bit. This is one of those plants often viewed with contempt because it has a running nature. You can't go wrong if you like blooming loads of color and a will to please! :-)

On May 23, 2005, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

My two Pagoda Flower plants died back to the ground with temperatures as low as 28 F on a few nights this past winter, but both plants are now about 1 ft high and growing well. In my borderline Zone 8b/9a climate, they bloom late in the summer and continue blooming until the upper growth is destroyed by frost or freeze damage in December.

On May 22, 2005, artcons from Fort Lauderdale, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I just found out what my plant was called, and found out here on Dave's. I just love it. A great plant for shade/partial sun. It's colorful all year, and requires a minimum of care. It makes lots of seedlings as far as 10' away, but they pull out easily. Butterflies and bee's love it.

On Aug 13, 2003, nmcl from Mobile, AL wrote:

This plant was planted outside the herb garden at the Mobile Botanical Gardens some years ago. It has returned from the roots for three years. We had temperatures in the low 20's for a long time last year 2002-2003. It is in full sun and only grows to about 5 feet tall. It has not spread.

On Aug 26, 2002, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Invasive type, so plant in larger container. Grows very fast and prefers full sun. Flowers all year.

On Dec 24, 2001, Floridian from Lutz, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

A large perennial shrub with big ovate leaves and a fast growth rate, this clerodendrum has spikes of brilliant orange-red flowers all season long. This plant loves warm and humid conditions. In cooler zones it will die back and re-emerge in the spring.
It makes an excellent container and house plant.