Moss Rose, Rose Moss

Portulaca grandiflora

Family: Portulacaceae
Genus: Portulaca (por-tew-LAK-uh) (Info)
Species: grandiflora (gran-dih-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Portulaca pilosa subsp. grandiflora

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Not Applicable

Pale Yellow

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Dutton, Alabama

Sarasota, Florida

Sebring, Florida

Spring Hill, Florida

Valparaiso, Florida

West Palm Beach, Florida (2 reports)

Decatur, Georgia

Mount Prospect, Illinois

Romeoville, Illinois

Washington, Illinois

Plymouth, Indiana

Olathe, Kansas (2 reports)

Rolla, Kansas

Calvert City, Kentucky

Hebron, Kentucky

Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2 reports)

Hessmer, Louisiana

Owasso, Oklahoma

Schulter, Oklahoma

Cave Junction, Oregon

Klamath Falls, Oregon

Portland, Oregon (2 reports)

Roseburg, Oregon

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Alvin, Texas

Arlington, Texas

Baytown, Texas

Brownsville, Texas (2 reports)

Bulverde, Texas

Concord, Texas

Corpus Christi, Texas

Edinburg, Texas

El Paso, Texas (2 reports)

Ennis, Texas

Plano, Texas

Port Lavaca, Texas

Red Oak, Texas

Round Rock, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (4 reports)

Spring, Texas

Wheeling, West Virginia

Appleton, Wisconsin

Ellsworth, Wisconsin

On Jul 25, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Several photos show ornamental purslane, Portulaca oleracea, and not moss rose, Portulaca grandiflora. The former have paddle-shaped leaves, not at all like the needle-shaped leaves in the photos of moss rose.

On Jul 25, 2015, Rickwebb from Downingtown, PA wrote:

Most garden centers in the northern USA sell some of this annual flower that is a perennial in its native tropical South America. It likes hot, dry conditions with dry or moist soil. If one pinches off the old flowers it will keep blooming well into September; otherwise, it sort of peters out by September. It does reseed itself for the next yea, though most people buy a new flat of the annual the next year. It is usually sold as a mix of colors from one of several possible different flower series. People in the Philadelphia area call this annual by its scientific generic name of "Portulaca" rather than saying Moss Rose as in the Midwest, so there is some possible confusion about the name sometimes.

On Sep 18, 2012, gbirdie from Jacksonville, FL wrote:

Have grown these on and off over the years with varying success. With our wet summers they seem to decline around Aug. but re-seed the following year. This year I rescued about 5 plants from the Lowes discount rack and since this summer has been wetter than ever, I dug up the declining plants this a.m., before the showers started, and put in pots. I want to see if they will overwinter. If not, I'm pretty sure I'll get volunteers next year. I also have a tiny relative which comes up everywhere with a magenta flower about the size of a match head. It seems to grow wild too. What is it?

On Aug 4, 2012, herbella from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

I have not found Portulaca "easy to grow" here in New Mexico. We have a sunny east-facing flowerbed in the front of our house where even Coreopsis and ice plant can't survive the winters. Only Red Valerian valiantly soldiers on - and one of them died in our summer heat. I have found Portulaca (a.k.a. Moss Rose) to be a temperamental plant. I have bought seedlings that have died. I have also bought seed in the past with no result. This year (summer of 2012) is the first time I have been able to get it to come up from seed.The only way I have gotten Portulaca to come up and survive was to plant its seed in pots on the patio where it frequently receives water and gets shade from the house in the afternoon. I have yet to see flowers - only leaves. We will see if blossoms appear. It is August... read more

On Jun 15, 2012, Dyegirl from Redfield, NY wrote:

First off, I freaked when I saw "Moss Rose"--thinking that at last I would find some information on the 150+ year old rose bush that my family always referred to as a "Moss Rose". It is a beautiful, plentifully blossomed, old fashioned smelling rose that has been in our family for a long, long time. Maybe someone can help me as to the real name of it--pink fragrant blossoms surrounded by moss looking greenery--growing to about 4 or 5 feet tall, spreading via underground root system.
To tell you the truth, I have never heard of a portulaca being referred to as a moss rose. Must be the part of the country I grew up in....anyway, I have grown "portulaca" before, but some little critter or bird always bites the flower head off as soon as it opens. Makes the plant spread, but little ... read more

On May 28, 2012, BobbieSews from Tucson, AZ wrote:

I fondly remember Moss Roses from my childhood and decided to plant a few. I'm amazed! the quail have eaten them down to nothing! Guess the fix is to cover them with wire mesh?

On Feb 28, 2012, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Seeds itself in some interesting places and grows where nothing else will. It's funny how it comes up on its own, but never does where I put it. Blooms July-August in my garden.

On Apr 28, 2011, bunnychu from Baton Rouge, LA wrote:

I planted some bright pink moss rose last year in a rock garden. They were fantastic. This year, I have multi color moss rose of all diffrent colors comeing up in my rock garden! Its so awesome. I really wasnt expecting it to seed. it was a beautiful supprise. -Baton Rouge Louisiana

On Nov 2, 2010, LostAngel0410 from Johor Bahru
Malaysia wrote:

We first planted moss rose a few years back, before I knew the name of the plant. I was awed by the frequent flowering (I tried to guess the number of blooms everyday after school, but failing every time because the number exceeds 20 easily, even though it is planted in a pot) and the striking colour. The flowers are cup-shaped.

A few months ago, I bought a packet of moss rose seeds, and then only I realised that the flower we've been planting all along is the moss rose. The type grown from seeds are doubles and looks more like rose, but closes earlier (about 4.30pm). It is one of the easiest to grow - I live in a tropical country - and does not need much care at all. To plant more of the particular plant, just cut and stick it in soil and allow it to root by itself within ... read more

On Oct 3, 2010, meborino from Milford, NH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I wanted something that would grow in an old concrete bird bath that no longer held water. I planted these beautiful flowers and they added a lot of color for the entire growing season. Portulaca is one of my favorites for containers as I am sometimes forgetful about watering. This year, I am going to bring in one of the containers to see if I can keep it blooming through the winter.

On Oct 8, 2008, agentdonny007 from Las Vegas, NV (Zone 8b) wrote:

One of the easiest plants I have grown in Las Vegas! Loves heat and can tolerate my once a week watering schedule growing from a container on my balcony. It receives west/southern exposure on sun and blooms profusely attracting bees in the morning before it gets too hot. I treat it as an annual but it will come back if left over winter. If growing in an irrigated area, it can be left to naturalize and re-seed. The next years growth becomes weedier looking with less infrequent blooms. I prefer to pull the moss rose out for fall and winter to plant pansies/sweet allysum for cool season color in the winter gardening season.

On Jul 27, 2008, nemmich from Spearfish, SD wrote:

I am new to the Black Hills of South Dakota and found my previous home owner had planted "something" in her rose bed. I hoed and hoed this prolific weed until I was weary and admitted defeat, and now the moss rose are blooming and brilliant beneath the roses at rest, between bloom cycles.
This was one of those experiences that teach me something when I finally give up.
In South Dakota the moss rose will definitely be an annual, but "persistent" has new meaning here.

On Jul 12, 2008, redinque from Pasadena, CA wrote:

Great plant that thrives under direct sunlight. I planted them both at my preschool (I'm a teacher) in plastic containers with potting soil and also at my house directly in the ground with hard clay dirt. While it seemed to really flourish in the pots, they also do pretty well in the crummy soil as long as there is a lot of light. Obviously they do better with little water.

However, when it starts to get colder, the flowers retreat and the plant itself looks less than stellar and turns into a more faded, sickly version of itself. I live in Los Angeles, California where it really doesn't get THAT cold, so it seems to me that these plants strongly need the hot weather to do well. I still love them, though. They add a vibrant punch of color to my xeriscape gardening exper... read more

On Jun 25, 2008, laylaysam from Yonkers, NY wrote:

My daughter and I planted these seeds in late april and now we finally have one flower and quite a few buds. The flowers are very pretty and I am looking forward to seeing more blooms over the next few days.

On Jun 25, 2007, Chantell from Middle of, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

What a refreshing rainbow of colors in mid summer! Most definately reseeds itself, at least here. Silly me, I purchased a couple of pots this spring not realizing it had already started coming up...after a few weeks I had color everywhere!!

On Jun 5, 2007, staceysmom from (GayLynn) Appleton, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

First planted this little gem in 2006 in my front, dry, sunny flower bed. It did very well and spread very fast. Found I had to water from underneath or it would ruin the pretty little flowers. I was very surprised to find it coming up all over my flower bed this spring. It has seft seeded itself so much that I will have to thin them out a bit. Love the leaves as much as the flowers.

On May 4, 2007, Annepaola from Manahawkin, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

I recall that this was a plant you could depend upon to self seed in gravel or dry soil. However, the ones I have grown from purchased plants, not seeds, have limped along, and not self seeded. A new acquaintance recently told me a similar tale so I am on a search for the best type to plant either from seeds (most likely) or plants (what will be available.)

On Sep 30, 2006, nalin1 from New Delhi
India (Zone 10a) wrote:

An excellent, humble and hardy plant ever ready to cheer you up in the hottest of summers that continues to flower well into October in New Delhi (zone 10 a).

I first used it in an extensive manner in my driveway border bedding this summer for lack of anything else to use in a hurry while landscaping was in progress. It gave a beautiful dense bright magenta and green carpet that overflows and softens the stone edges of the grassy knoll border. Even when the flowers close up in the late afternoons or when it is cloudy, it adds texture and points of color. (Uploading image )

I have also naturalized portulacas it in my meditation garden where it is appropriately growing between rock outcrops which are used for seating. (Uploading image).

I see so... read more

On Jun 11, 2006, GeorgiaJo from Dallas, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Love the bright colors. Always a surprise. Grow in pots in the sun, here in Georgia

On May 20, 2006, diana_s from Milton, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Love it! Always in bloom and easy to care for. Grows well in the Panhandle of Florida.

On Apr 3, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Super easy to grow and so colorful. Nice border plant, very drought tolerant. Can also be easily propagated by breaking off pieces and sticking them in moist soil.

On Nov 25, 2005, pokerboy from Canberra
Australia (Zone 8b) wrote:

I'm sorry to be the first to host a negative on this plant but I find it hard to grow. I have tried it numerous times and each time have failed.

On Aug 24, 2005, Zylphey from Fayette County, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have always loved these, but never knew until this year that the deer love them too! They have passed over many other things in my garden, but ate both the single-flowered purslane and the double-flowered portulaca right down to the ground. They pulled portulaca plants out of a container, eating some and leaving some just lying there; (hoof marks all around - no doubt it was deer).

On Jul 23, 2005, grubbymitts from Salt Lake City, UT (Zone 8a) wrote:

Moss roses are hugely popular here in Salt Lake City, where temperatures lately have been up to 105 and the sun is intense (4200 ft altitude with a hole in the ozone right over us). I have a new bunch in a bed by the edge of my driveway; some by the edge, some next to rocks. They get hours and hours of full sun and look fresh and beautiful day after day. They're stunningly resilient; the lawn guy threw two heavy bags of soil amendment on top of a couple of them yesterday and today they're standing up unscathed (they were at the edge of a rock, which gave them a little room, and had mulch to sink into, but they were lying down flat). I do mulch them because it gets so hot here and is very dry and the soil is clay--it bakes fast. It's rather alkaline, too, and these plants thrive in it. And ... read more

On Jul 22, 2005, c_semerad from Queen Creek, AZ wrote:

When I first planted this, I wasn't familiar with its water needs and almost killed it, thinking it was hardier than it is. Once I got past that it needed more than I was giving it, it started blooming and growing like crazy. I have one area in the ground that gets full sun, and is not on drip, so I water once in the morning and once at dusk. Right after the a.m watering the blooms open for a few hours, and are gorgeous. Same with the potted one, which is now starting to drape down the sides of the pot. I will be planting more of these all around my house! Love them!!

On Jun 21, 2005, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

I was never a portulaca fan because I thought the succulent spiny foliage looked odd mixed with the rest of my garden. But someone bought me some so I planted it. I still don't like the foliage but the flowers are pretty. Although they sometimes bend their heads so that the flowers are hard to see. that is why it is best (very low growing and flowers hand downward) for haning baskets/pots or rock gardens or perhaps borders. What I wound up liking about this plant is the range of colors and their brilliance and variation. Many are splashed and streaked with different colors and sometimes you see colors very unique to portulacas in a mix. One "elusive" flower color that you can't find everywhere and that I found in my mix was a salmon one. Very pretty. It even had some magenta and yellow ... read more

On May 16, 2005, darylmitchell from Saskatoon, SK (Zone 3a) wrote:

These are tough little annuals. I grew them in containers during a hot, dry summer when a severe infestation of grasshoppers devoured just about everything else. Their fleshy, succulent stems allow them to store water, so they don't need as much attention as leafy plants. Grasshoppers also ignore them because they're hard to chew. The blooms were colourful and really brightened up my patio.

In the ground, I found they self-seeded and produced some new plants the following year. I've also grown them in a container, surrounding a clump of purple fountain grass. It was a winning combination!

On Apr 14, 2005, 4xthefun from Corpus Christi, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love these little flowers. One of the first things we planted this year. I have mine in pots on my front porch. Makes me feel like I really can grow something! They are beautiful and such a happy looking flower. My porch is east facing and gets a good amount of morning sun. When in a pot they do need a drink of water daily in my neck of the woods.

On Nov 18, 2004, 433kfj from klamath falls, OR (Zone 6a) wrote:

I tried to grow these one time on a rock-wall that I had just built of loose boulders with a back-fill of a clay-like soil. I was trying differnt plants to see what might hold the soil, as it would wash between the rocks in a heavy rain. They did very well at first, but started to decline. I think they need a little more moisture now and then in a very dry climate. These where planted in the hottest part of the yard with a direct southern exposure, and too far for the hose to reach, so they got Very little water. I thought they might do well if they were anything like the wild purslane which growes as a small weed in town between cracks in the sidewalks. And boy does that little weed grow in any nook and cranny it finds! It looks like moss rose as far as the leaves, but the flowers are tin... read more

On Aug 19, 2004, kadawn74 from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

We have this growing in a sandy island in our parking lot (ugh, apartments) and it is doing great! It's so nice having some color out there, and having a plant that doesn't interfere with being able to see if there are kids when pulling in or out of the parking lot.

Around May of this year, I had turned the soil (very sandy) since maintenance had taken out a dead evergreen bush, and these came up as volunteers. I really have no idea where they came from, but a local nursery sells them for $6 for a large pot. I'm very pleased that these came from seemingly nowhere, and will work hard to keep them coming back.

On Jul 20, 2004, possumtrot from Calvert City, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

I just love this plant! Mine are planted in a raised bed that stays constantly moist and has part sun and part shade. They have exploded into an aray of colors. I do collect some of the seeds to share with friends, however most fall to the ground. In 2 years with no special treatment, they have returned and spread to cover my beds. They make great ground cover for the clematis. If you break off a stem, just put it in water and re-plant. Most enjoyable in the mornings.

On Jul 17, 2004, naminstars from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

I love this plant! It seems to be the only thing I can grow, because my thumb has never turned the right shade of green, but it grows beautifully in Fort Worth, Texas. Only thing seems to be that the birds are eating it! I've never seen birds act like this before, maybe because I have cats, but even still... its a beautiful flowering plant loved by all, including the birds. :)

On Jul 16, 2004, Prism from Saint Peters, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I live outside St. Louis and these do very well. I had a small area of mixed colors last year in a front bed. This year I have them all over in a back bed. I did not plant any in the back. I am just digging them up and planting them where I want them. I let them bloom (so I know what color they are) and then transplant. They do very well in this area, and in pots.

On Jul 9, 2004, shenaflorida from North Port, FL wrote:

This is one of my favorite plants. I wasn't sure how they would do at first so I put them in containers, but now that they are doing so well, even when i don't get to watering them, i have been takeing cuttings and just sticking them right in the beds outside and now I have them hanging in containers as well as growing amongst my taller shrubs and daisys. I have noticed that they bloom much more after deadheading but they do just fine either way. also my sisterinlaw cant keep anything alive and i made up a pot of these and they are thriveing at her house.

On Jun 3, 2004, patp from Summerville, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I don't think I could enjoy a summer season without the lovely flowers of Moss Rose. One or more critters (possum/rabbit/squirrel/deer?) have discovered that the plant tastes good, and they chomp it to the base, sometime pull the plant completely up. Hmmm, wonder what it tastes like?

On Jun 2, 2004, Larabee from Houston, TX wrote:

These are wonderful flowers for people who love the look of "baby roses" but don't have the patience, time, or green thumb needed to grow most roses. They are infinately easy to care for--leave them in the sunshine and water them ONLY when it has not rained for a week or so (depending on where you live and how dry it is, of course... this plant enjoys dry soil and only likes what water it needs to live). If you're having a rain storm, you may want to move portulacas under a covered area, or they won't be happy.

On Mar 16, 2004, youreit from Knights Landing, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I can see from all of the comments and pictures that I'm not the only one who loves this beauty. I saw it in the nursery last year and had to have it. Only when I got home did I notice that it was an annual [my thought having been, if it only blooms one year, why bother?]. All was forgiven months later, when it was still blooming as much as when I first brought it home. A little water now and then was all it asked of me, and that's only because I live where it gets over 100 F. I never had to remove the old blooms [as someone had mentioned was important]; the new ones would just push them out of way as they expanded like little popcorn kernals. My only regret was that I gave up on them as they started dying back. From what I've read here, they probably would have returned this year, ... read more

On Nov 12, 2003, noxiousweed from El Sobrante, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I often miss the open flowers of the moss rose during the week 'though I go out in the morning and look for them. They sleep late and then go back to bed early in the warmth of summer. But when I do get to see them, I am reminded how fruitful and sunny their blooms are. Peppermint is my favorite, but we have several mixes of colors - and they are all quite welcome in our garden.

Easy to collect seeds from, easy to sow from seeds. Great for containers or hanging baskets. Sow generously.

On Feb 7, 2003, debi_z from Springfield, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

i love the bright colors, the paper thin delicacy of the petals and the neat little bowl and lid where the seeds mature. it also is very easy to grow. i threw down some seeds i had collected into the cracks at the end of the driveway, at the end of the summer. just to see what happened. i would just spray them with some water every now and again. they were sprouting and flourishing withing 2 weeks. definately a plant that likes to be neglected and survives in the worst of circumstances.

On Jan 16, 2003, MossRose from Albany, MO (Zone 5a) wrote:

As you can see by my name, this is my favorite. So much so that my greenhouse and gardens are named MossRose. There is no better plant for hot, dry areas. Readily self-seeds in my zone 5a, unless the winter is very severe. I do start some early in the greenhouse but those sown in the garden usually out perform those started early. A hot weather plant for sure.

On Oct 17, 2002, kymom42 wrote:

have had these growing in a container for 2 years now. I live in zone 7 and when frost starts I cover the container with leaves and put close to house. In late spring they come back. This year I had some come up in 3 different containers and all 3 separate colors. Seemed like first year it was mixed? They are easy to grow and very pretty.

On Aug 30, 2002, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

These plants are fast-growing and spreading. In most types, flowers open only on sunny days and close in midafternoon. They are also drought tolerant.

On Aug 23, 2002, Azalea from Jonesboro, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Re-seeding, and returning older plants from hardy roots. Propagated easily by cuttings or seeds. Bright mixed colors all summer, opening morning and closing mid afternoon on sunny days. May stay open all day on cloudy days.

On Aug 23, 2002, punky36 wrote:

This is my first year gardening, therefore, take my experience with this plant with caution. It is makes a beautiful deep pink frame around my raised bed (which is made of stone). It cascades over the stones and looks very pretty. I am disabled and the only negative (and this can be a big one for those whose time is limited in the garden),they come with about four tiny little buds in the centre of each stem. Another flower opens after the first one dies. Remove the dead flower immediately, if not it turns to dark brown mush (aagh!!) and be careful not to cut off the other buds. As I said in the beginning if you can spend a lot of time deadheading with great care, this is a super border flower.

On Aug 22, 2002, FLSuncoast from Sarasota, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Easy care and profusion of blooms. I use this little fellow to fill in low corner areas in my garden. Very easy to care for and easy to grow.

On May 19, 2002, clive61 wrote:

You can't go wrong with these. They bloom profusely and in a delightful spectrum of colors.

On May 7, 2002, RescueChicken wrote:

These are wonderful little plants. I live in an apartment setting so I don't have the luxury of having a large garden. They seem to do well & bloom beautifully in container gardens. They are very hardy & also *quite* forgiving. They come in a variety of colors and are very attractive. I have one that was given to me when I moved (almost 3 years ago) that is still going strong in a planter in my bathroom. I really enjoy these little plants.