PlantFiles: Watch Chain Plant, Clubmoss Crassula, Princess Pine, Rattail Crassula
Crassula muscosa

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Crassula (KRASS-oo-la) (Info)
Species: muscosa (muss-KOH-suh) (Info)

Synonym:Crassula lycopodioides
Synonym:Crassula muscosa var. pseudolycopodiodes

Cactus and Succulents

Late Fall/Early Winter

Blue-Green

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

By kniphofia

Thumbnail #6 of Crassula muscosa by palmbob

By BasilBadger
Thumbnail #7 of Crassula muscosa by BasilBadger

Positive Artemis224 On Apr 5, 2014, Artemis224 from Houston, TX wrote:

I have a few of these growing in pots outside here in Houston. Some in the shade, some out in full Texas sun. Both seem to thrive quite well. I just bought a small pot to replace the ones I lost due to the devastating hard freezes we had this winter. I had all my plants covered except for the very last freeze - which ended up being the worst, so I lost quite a few succulents and cacti. :( Luckily here in Houston they are easily replaced - and like someone mentioned, you can just break off a stem of this plant and put it in a pot and more than likely it will grow. :)

Positive Tazdog On Jan 24, 2011, Tazdog from Waterloo, IA wrote:

I bought Huey for my wife at a farmers market in November. It was cold here in Iowa that day. He was outside in a 2" diameter clay donky. We kept him in it until this week. Moved him to a 4" pot and man he took off. He only had 5 stems now he has 20 in one week. He is growing nicely in his new pot and seems to like being talked to.We love him and cant wait to have more. Is it true you can plant a sprig and it will grow?

Positive hmbgerl On Jun 17, 2010, hmbgerl from Folsom, CA wrote:

If grown outdoors and it burns from heat or cold, when the new growth starts, you can break the new pieces off & grow a new plant. Simply break off the piece (even a piece that is only a few mm long) and stick the bottom end into the soil. I think that's why it is sometimes listed as invasive. I discovered this when I had one planted in a container on the 3rd story deck of our house. Pieces that broke off (when people walked too close to the container) fell down through the slats in the deck, into another container on the 2nd story deck and started a new plant!

Positive vossner On Mar 31, 2010, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

My first plant succumbed to excessive rains. I like the way it spills out of pots as it expands.

Positive plutodrive On Jul 18, 2009, plutodrive from Denver, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

The flowers on this plant are very fragrant. Some people find the scent unappealing, I like it even though it is strong.

Neutral palmbob On Sep 16, 2005, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have at least two varieties of this plant... I know it's listed above as full sun, but the two I have (no clue what their names are) definitely do better if given some shade. I have personally not had any problem with overwatering this plant.. in fact, it seems to just grow better and better the more water I give it (even in winter). Yet to rot any (wish I could say that about so many other Crassulas). In deep shade, this plant does get pretty leggy and weedy.

Neutral smiln32 On Nov 30, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Originates in South Africa. Slender, irregularly branched stems with small leaves closely arranged in rows. Flowers are yellowish-white.

Neutral Crasulady2 On Dec 27, 2001, Crasulady2 from Valley Village, CA wrote:

This plant grows erect for the most part, I have ten varieties, I give them no care, just water when grown inside, it's nice to keep trimmed or they will fall over the edge of the pot, but I like it doing so. You may want to call it watch chain, there is a hybrid called 'Watch Chain'that is 4x4 mm thick,which is a hybrid found at the old Johnson's Nursery, and must have some shade to do well.
I am describing the plant that is commonly found at Low's

Neutral tiredwabbit On Nov 28, 2001, tiredwabbit from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

Once it has established a good root system it needs little water. This is one you don't want to over water.

Grenoble,
Oakhurst, California
Pleasant Hill, California
Reseda, California
Richmond, California
San Diego, California (2 reports)
San Dimas, California