Daylily 'Little Business'

Family: Hemerocallidaceae (hem-er-oh-kal-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hemerocallis (hem-er-oh-KAL-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Little Business
Hybridized by Maxwell
Registered or introduced: 1971
» View all varieties of Daylilies

Early midseason (EM)

Reblooming (Re)

Flower Size:

Small (3" to 4.5" diameter)

Blooming Habit:

No fragrance

Foliage Habit:

Semi-evergreen (sev.)

Awards (if applicable):

Annie T. Giles Award (or runner-up)

Award of Merit (or runner-up)

Honorable Mention

Lakewood, Washington

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Watertown, Wisconsin

On Apr 21, 2014, sandrabees from Petal, MS wrote:

Love this little daylily! Quickly multiplies, reblooms all session long with a splash of red. Great in front of beds. Really, really love this one! Takes the heat and sun of south Miss. Very well! No fuss plant that is a show stopper

On Nov 24, 2010, atisch from Alameda, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This dwarf red daylily had a lot of adversity to overcome to make a good impression, but it did just that. I included it as an afterthought in an order from Springhill Nursery. I needed a couple of small perennial fillers to complete an order. 'Little Business' was one of a few dwarf daylillies that was currently on sale. The size and color were what I desired, but I didn't pay much attention to the incredible photo they had of it as many of their photos are often not beliveable.

The root division I received on 4/18/10 was barely viable with no green stalk at all. I figured that I wouldn't see it flower until the following year. I planted it in a one gallon pot and stuck it aside with the other daylilies I had bought. The first surprise was about a week later when a strong g... read more

On Jul 22, 2008, DaylilyDonna from Paulina, LA wrote:

I obtained this daylily by way of my mama. I separated the plant into about a dozen back in Feb. '08 and it just keeps blooming, and is now reblooming again! It has lots of buds on it too. It's a short plant that makes lovely small flowers.

On May 20, 2008, KaylyRed from Watertown, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

It's my second year with 'Little Business' and it's thriving! Its first year in my garden it produced one flower--a gorgeous flower, but still just one. It's mid-May and this year I've already counted numerous buds and I'm just waiting for the flower show to start. The foliage has also tripled or maybe even quadrupled in size over last year--very vigorous! I'm most happy with this little plant!

On Feb 22, 2008, Mainer from Durham, ME (Zone 3a) wrote:

Had for a few years then did not make it through a very bad winter in 2003 where there was no snow and lots of freezing rain. Normal winters I think it survived pretty well but did not multiply for me.

On Jun 29, 2003, MizD from Lufkin, TX wrote:

An excellent choice. I grow this in East Texas in regular garden soil, mixed with a little mushroom compost and mulched with cypress mulch. The bed is in full sun and receives a lot of reflected heat (up to 110 degrees) from a concrete sidewalk. An excellent choice and the bright red color really 'pops' out.

On Jun 28, 2003, Stuber from Fernandina Beach, FL wrote:

This cultivar grows well and flowers profusely here on Amelia Island near Jacksonville Fl as well. Leaves look a bit shabby thru the heat of the summer, but it compensates by also throwing off lots of "prolifs" or baby clones of its self along the spent bloom scapes. Bloom color holds up well to the heat and intense sun very well.

On Aug 30, 2002, FL_Gator from Dunnellon, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I grow this plant in Florida, and have found it to be excellent here. Reblooms, color holds up very well.