Water Forget-Me-Not

Myosotis scorpioides

Family: Boraginaceae
Genus: Myosotis (my-oh-SO-tis) (Info)
Species: scorpioides (skor-pee-OY-dees) (Info)
Synonym:Myosotis palustris

Ponds and Aquatics

Medium Blue

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Seward, Alaska

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Lexington, Virginia

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

On Jan 28, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Two states have made the importation, sale, purchase, and cultivation of this plant illegal, because of the damage it does to our natural areas. It's been declared invasive in others. It's naturalized in 39 states.

The very similar looking woodland forget-me-not (Myosotis sylvatica) and alpine forget-me-not (Myosotis alpestris) are easier garden plants and are not ecologically invasive here.

Not all exotic plants that naturalize are considered invasive, but the water forget-me-not is one that is.

On May 20, 2010, becca318 from Hewitt, NJ wrote:

I love this plant. I found it at a stream in a park I frequent and decided to take a bit. I took such a small piece, what I could dig up with my fingers, stuck it in a little sandwich baggie I had in my car took it home and planted without much hope for survival. To my surprise by the end of the summer it had established and spread beautifully. This is now the most beautifull part of my pond garden. It does spread but is very easy to dig up when it grows where its not wanted.

On Oct 25, 2007, nsolomon from Brook Park, MN wrote:

Myosotis scorpioides (true forget-me-not), is Introduced - naturalized; ecologically invasive. If you care for our heritage of native plants in our riparian eco-systems, then please eradicate it.

On Jun 11, 2006, GeorgiaJo from Dallas, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Bought one small pot 5 years ago when we put in our little pond. It grows all around the pond, in the pond, in pots, and anywhere else where it stays fairly damp. Great ground-cover for wet areas.

On Apr 18, 2006, Glorybe46 from Guelph

Here in Canada we have this great rock garden type. I also have a white coloured type. I just transplanted some from a field where an old farm use to be. Then I noticed some were white and not this light blue. I seperated them and now they grow seperatly each year.

On Feb 28, 2006, dmbrazilian from Plano, TX wrote:

Me and my girlfreind are completely in love with forget me nots. I have not been able to lacate them in Texas at all, but am in need of locating an area with them to ask her to marry me. Please help me.

On Oct 30, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is a wonderful plant for the waters edge, however, it is invasive and will ring your pond and pop up all over if you don't take care. Chunks that become loose or break off will root successfully elsewhere.

I've had this planted for about 4 years, but this year, because it has been an unusually wet year, it has popped up everywhere I didn't want it. You can weed it successfully, but make sure you get it all - and don't drop any! I am finding that cutting it back aggressively after it flowers is probably the only way to keep it under control.

The long lasting blue flowers are a wonder when in bloom - and it's a wonderful sight during the summer at ponds edge. That's why my positive rating.

On Sep 20, 2002, Weezingreens from Seward, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

This plant loves our wet, cool Alaskan coastal climate. Unlike many other areas, it survives here in our flower beds without benefit of pond or bog. It winters over well, and has naturalized itself. Since it blooms later than the syvatica, we manage to have forget-me-nots blooming most of the season.

On Sep 1, 2002, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Received a clump in a trade last year, and have thoroughly enjoyed this plant. In certain conditions, it might become pesky, but I've got it corralled in an edged bog garden, where it's happily multiplying between the Chelone and Baptisias.