Fan Flower, Fanflower

Scaevola aemula

Family: Goodeniaceae
Genus: Scaevola (skee-VO-luh) (Info)
Species: aemula (EM-yoo-luh) (Info)
Synonym:Scaevola saligna

Virginia Beach, Virginia

Spokane, Washington

Huntington, West Virginia

On Jun 29, 2015, RSFGardener from Rancho Santa Fe, CA wrote:

We're in San Diego County, about 10 miles inland, where it's a bit hotter and dryer than the coast. These Scaveola seem to be doing well with twice a week watering. A neighbor had a bunch of it thriving on a strip of what appears to be very dry dirt. Not all of our plants are faring so well with the new CA water restrictions. We planted some purple, white and pink ones in the front yard. They spread and bloomed all year round. The bees seem to love the purple ones in particular.

On Dec 21, 2012, oldhen28 from Paris, TX wrote:

These were all over town 2 years ago in our 75462 area(7a) and also about 100 miles NW of us. They are native to Australia and, according to a source there, note they do have to be watered well but they even withstand the very hot Out Back sun. They don't require deadheading and bloom profusely in our 80 -100+ temperature all summer clear through frost.

On Sep 25, 2012, Raebeling from Cottonwood, AZ wrote:

In Cottonwood, Arizona: very hot/dry. Did extremely well in container in hot location, continuous blooms all summer. Watered once/day (heat high 90's to 105). Good color.

On Sep 15, 2012, sunsetgarden from Port Orford, OR wrote:

Is this plant deer resistant? Southern Or. Coast

Sunset Garden - Joan McDow

On Sep 10, 2012, gardenforKathy from Virginia Beach, VA wrote:

I too have found the fan flower truly heat tolerant with bountiful flowers without need of deadheading. it has been beautiful in pots as long as I water daily and twice daily on really hot days. So beautiful that I would like to keep them over the winter, which in zone 7b can be rather cold. Has anyone been successful in bringing them indoors or using cuttings to restart in the spring?

On Aug 6, 2012, dixiebell0 from Sandersville, MS wrote:

This is the first year to use this plant. I love it!! It has lived through some of our worst heat and high humidity and just thrived.

On May 29, 2011, CTYankeegirl from Mystic, CT wrote:

Our town planted these last summer by the firehouse. They were absolutely gorgeous & bloomed from early summer through the frost. We had one of the worst summers last year, heat-wise; it was 90+ for most of it and as other annuals succumbed to the baking heat, these beauties just kept blooming! They are amazing! I finally found the name of them & bought some myself for this year. A terrific hot weather flower!!!! I'll always have these in my front yard from now on!

On Jul 4, 2010, nicholtammy from Huntsville

I just bought the plant in flower one white and one purple I will put in a sunny spot thank you.

On Aug 3, 2008, dp72 from Woodway, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

takes blazing Texas sun without complaint so long as it's watered often enough. when the temps are 100 or more that is twice a day (container plants). the purple and pink seem equally hardy.

On Jul 23, 2007, marysgarden from Wetumpka, AL wrote:

Great as annual in Alabama's hot humid summers. Survived one very mild winter in our 7b zone, but normally going to grow as an annual.

On May 19, 2004, bayouposte from Bossier City, LA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Fan flower was a constant joy last year, and I bought another this year and hope to make successful cuttings.

On May 18, 2004, Rarri from Glen Head, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is a great sun loving plant... blooms continually from May thru October.. I have a yard lined with baskets of this plant on my fence..It does need to be thoroughly watered when the weather is hot..but often I see it completley wilted and revives within 12 hours when I give it a good drink.. So if you have a sunny spot.. try it.. you will love it..

On Oct 18, 2002, jkom51 from Oakland, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Only widely available since last year, scaevola is ideal for baskets or planters, with stems that overflow the sides while gracefully arching upwards. Vivid purple-blue flowers elicit admiration from visitors. Quite drought-resistant for a flowering plant, too. Nobody seems to know how long it will live in Nor.Cal or whether it needs to pruned for the winter, since it's so new. Note that when it was first transplanted (I have 3 of them in wall planters), however, it literally sulked for almost two months, losing flowers and looking ready to die. Then it settled in and within three weeks (May) was covered with blooms -- it is now mid-October and still blooming vigorously. It gets good south sun and is amongst white lantana, red-flowering aptenia, and jasmine, spilling over a concrete block ... read more