Burkwood Viburnum

Viburnum x burkwoodii

Family: Adoxaceae (a-dox-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Viburnum (vy-BUR-num) (Info)
Species: x burkwoodii (berk-WOOD-ee-eye) (Info)

Good Fall Color

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Broomfield, Colorado

Mechanicsville, Virginia

Staunton, Virginia

Vancouver, Washington

On May 27, 2015, RosemaryK from Lexington, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

None of my other viburnums have leaves that are quite as beautiful, plus the blossoms are as fragrant as carlesii also. I have American Spice, which has glossy, ridged leaves. It demands very little. Last year my three foot tall shrub (grows to 4') was carelessly mowed down, but it is growing back!

On Apr 19, 2011, joylily514 from Katy, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love this plant. It has grown phenomenally well as an accent on the southwest corner of our house. I have been amazed at how quickly it has grown and filled out. As one has already said, it is lovely in all seasons. The scent of the white with pink tinged blooms in spring is intoxicating and the color of the leaves budding out is a nice contrast of green and red. The foliage is beautiful in summer and in the fall and it's form without leaves gives visual interest in the winter. It has no problems at all with insects or disease. I will not ever be without this shrub no matter where I live.

On May 5, 2010, sageland9 from Broomfield, CO wrote:

This is my favorite viburnum hands down! It has 4 season interest and in Colorado will be semi-evergreen if grown in a protected site, typically an eastern exposure. The flowers are very fragrant as opposed to the 'skunky' flowers typical with many other viburnums. The leaves are glossy on top and velvety on the botton, nice contrast.
Beautiful fall color, and looks good through the winter with it's typical
attractive viburnum branching habit. Along the front range of the
Rockies, this is best planted in a protected(usu. eastern exposure) site and requires little supplemental water once established. Have
had no problems with pests or powdery mildew. Try this shrub instead of the typically overused lilacs, dogwoods etc and you
won't be disappointed.

On Apr 22, 2004, yayaqueen from Harker Heights, TX wrote:

Two years ago I planted a 1-gallon container-grown viburnum in the front yard of our home here in central Texas, zone 8. We also bought our first riding lawn mower that spring and, unfortunately, when I made my fledgling ride, I wiped out half of that poor plant. BUT, this spring it added about 3 feet of new growth and exploded with 17 big white globes of flowers. It literally has stopped traffic on our street with fellow garden-gawkers. I walk and spread an encapsulated slow-release fertilizer over my whole yard once each spring, usually on Valentine's Day--it's easy to remember that date. (P.S. the temp usually qualifies us for spring at that time of the year, even tho the calendar does not agree.) Otherwise, I just pour our leftover tea around its dripline from time to time. It i... read more

On Jan 26, 2002, Copperbaron from Vicksburg, MS (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a hybrid between V. carlesii x V. utile that is deciduous to semievergreen. The foliage is a dark, glossy green and holds well into winter, particularly in the south. The very fragrant white flowers appear in late winter/early spring from dense clusters of 4" pink buds. The berries mature from red to blue-black.

This is a good plnat for the shrub border or fragrance garden. Dirr says it "asks little, gives much".