White Bird of Paradise, White Strelitzia
Strelitzia alba

Family: Strelitziaceae
Genus: Strelitzia (stre-LITZ-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: alba (AL-ba) (Info)
Synonym:Strelitzia augusta

Dark Blue

Dark Purple/Black

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

Scarify seed before sowing

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Dauphin Island, Alabama

Gulf Shores, Alabama

Orange Beach, Alabama

Coto De Caza, California

Delano, California

Laguna Niguel, California

Los Angeles, California (2 reports)

Redwood City, California

Santa Barbara, California

Whittier, California

Big Pine Key, Florida

Boca Raton, Florida (2 reports)

Bokeelia, Florida

Boynton Beach, Florida

Bradenton, Florida

Bradley, Florida

Casselberry, Florida

Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2 reports)

Gainesville, Florida

Shoreline, Washington

negative

On May 10, 2015, opal92nwf from Niceville, FL wrote:

On Apr 7, 2010, MrPlants from Los Angeles, CA wrote:

This plant grows fairly easily in in Southern California. I purchased a couple of small plants for my house after I saw a pair that I planted at my parents house about 4 or 5 years ago, They are beautiful and now reach 10 or 12 ft. The plants I just purchased have been planted for about a week now and are starting to brown. Its a strange browning, its not from the edges but from the center of the leaf and they look a little see through. Luckily its very limited at this point.

This is an old flowerbed and the soil was very hard like rock. Prior to planting I loosened and fertilized the soil and have been watering the plant every other day.

After some research, I believe this is where my problem began.

This plants prefers dry environment... read more

On Feb 9, 2010, ctobey from New Port Richey, FL wrote:

Looking for advice. I have two white birds planted outside in full sun. They are 6 to 8 years old, about 15 feet high and have lots of blooms every year and are spreading. Base is 3 to 4 feet. The one at my parents house is almost 30 feet tall! I live in Pasco county and every year alot of the leaves, especially the upper ones turn brown and die in the winter and it takes until the end of summer before they return to their former glory. They are too big to move indoors and too big to cover. I tried. I am trying to find out if there are any tips on getting them to recover sooner. Should I trim the dead leaves? Are there any feritilizers I should be using? Any help would be appreciated.

On Aug 23, 2009, alyx_c from San Antonio, TX wrote:

I have a cluster (about 3) white Birds's of Paradise in the front of my house in San Antonio, TX. Initially it was about 2 feet tall and every winter it would disappear and then return in the spring. I had no idea what it was. We first added red lava rocks to the area and eventually white rocks. I water it for about 1 hr every month due to the drought in the summer and then once every 2 or 3 months. It is on the east side of our house which is the front and it's covering our front window. I'm from the Caribbean so things just grow. Once I got use to taking care of my other tropical plants in my yard I started covering the smaller ones in the winter. I did this with the Bird of Paradise by using a sheet, then two sheets as it got bigger. On a trip to the coast of Mexico I saw a lar... read more

On Dec 5, 2008, Kaelkitty from Adelaide
Australia (Zone 10a) wrote:

It seems there is some confusion out there about the differences between S. alba and S. nicolai. Here is some information which should help, mostly garnered from the Royal Horticultural Society's Dictionary of Gardening published in 1999. I have reordered it a bit so as to make the differences between the two species easier to see at a glance

S. alba -
rare in cultivation, trunks to 6m, rarely clumping, shy or intermittently flowering in the spring once mature.
leaf stem (petiole) to 1m, leaf blade to 60cm wide by 2m long
Floral stalk (inflorescence) unbranching to produce a single 25-30cm purple-red, glaucous spathe.
Both calyx AND corolla are white with the corolla tongue shaped - and the co... read more

On May 13, 2008, Upir from Jupiter, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

About two months ago, somebody had thrown this (and another) plant out in the trash in the building where I work. I brought them both home, and so far this plant, after a quick repotting and some real sunlight, has already begun to grow several fresh, green leaves and has perked up beautifully! Can't believe somebody would trash it just because they were either too lazy to care for it or figured it was dead, but WOW! Very, very easy to care for and can't wait until it blooms!

On May 13, 2008, SoFlaJosh from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

I am pretty sure that I have a White Bird of Paradise, but I'm not quite sure - it may be a Traveler's Palm. I bought this plant a few years ago and this past fall decided to put it into the ground in an area that gets a good deal of afternoon sunshine (zone 10b - Fort Lauderdale, FL).

After transplanting it from a container to the ground, it has grown rapidly and is now nearly 6 feet tall. But lately, it has been getting a white burning around the edges of some leaves - as well as a few darker splotches on some leaves. It receives sprinklers during the night, but I'm not sure how much actually permeates into the soil (I live in an apartment complex). Are these conditions indicative of any over- or under-watering?

Thanks,

Josh

On Sep 10, 2007, CAgary from Trabuco Canyon, CA wrote:

I'm really wondering if everyone who has posted here has a genuine Strelitzia augusta (alba) and not just a common S. nicolai. I sent away to their native South Africa to get seeds. So I am reasonably sure I am growing S. alba.

What is the difference between S. alba and S. nicolai? The bottom line is the leaves, flowers and other parts of the plant appear to be different enough so that botanists have given them different names. The photos I've seen don't seem to help.

My plants are only about two feet tall and I don't see any difference yet. I also have S. caudata from S. A.

On Apr 10, 2006, TerranNavigator from Lilburn, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

What do I do if the leaves of my plant roll up? The plant has been watered and was doing fine until I set it out in the sun today. The leaves rolled up after two hours. Have I damaged my plant? Will they return to normal?

On Jul 12, 2005, keonikale from Lexington, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

We also just purchased our first WBOP for our new apartment. After seeing them grow in abundance in Hawaii I knew they'd make a perfect fit for the tropical look I was decorating for.

Our WBOP is about 4-5 feet tall and is in a 16" pot; we purchased it from the Home Depot last weekend. Currently it's in a room where we get mostly afternoon Summer sun (from the west), so I'm having to make sure it's protected from the hot sun in the afternoons. During the day however it gets a good deal of indirect light from the window. We may move it closer however, as I've read the plant prefers more light than I think it's getting.

It definitely has added a tropical feel to the room it's located in; it's a beautiful plant with it's banana like leaves and seems easy enou... read more

On Jul 8, 2005, youoledawg from New Orleans, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have a large white bird of paradise growing in the ground in my front yard, zone 9A. It grew like topsy in one year, after being released from a pot. It has bloomed several times since the spring. There is a gooey substance on the flowers, however. It gets morning sun.
They get big here in New Orleans, in the ground. They are hardier than the reginae.

On Mar 22, 2005, sisterhawk from Houston, TX wrote:

I live in Houston Texas. I bought a WBOP at a garden discount store last fall. We are sometimes wearing shorts during winter here and I felt like it would be OK to plant it in the ground . On the southwestern side of the shed is where it resides. Of course IT SNOWED on Christmas Eve. There are no leaves on it now but hope springs eternal in our yard .Any chance of saving the root ball in a planter?

On Feb 20, 2005, CrystalBeachbum from Crystal Beach, FL wrote:

We had two white birds of paradise growing on the west side of our house. Both over 10 feet high. Two weeks before the hurricanes of 2004, we had them moved to the northern side but they still get plenty of light. The one is closer to the house and during the hurricanes, that one was ok, but the other isn't as well protected and it got pretty beat up. It had several pups on it, they have all died, all the leaves of the main plant have died and had to be cut off, I had one shoot coming up and it took forever to unroll but it finally has. Is there anything I should be doing to help it along? It gets watered with a drip irrigation soaker tubing for 5 minutes each morning, what and when should I feed it?

On Oct 19, 2004, sahnja from Myakka City, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

We recently moved into a house with two white bird of paradise in built-in planters on the lanai. They have done wonderfully except lots of leaf splitting during the hurricane winds.

I don't do anything except trim off dead leaves. Considering the status of other plants around the house, I doubt these have ever been taken care of, yet they are doing well. I'm going to try misting, as mentioned by another member, on these and my hibiscus. I'll report the results!

The larger one - about 7 ft. tall - has bloomed twice. Truly exotic looking blooms! I'm concerned about the future - they will surely outgrow their homes and moving them is not something I look forward to doing. They may not survive!

On Oct 5, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

only seen a few of these plants labeled as such in southern CAlifornia... not sure exactly how they differ from S nicolai. The one in Huntington gardens (zone 9b bordering on 10a) looks healthy and old, and some old blooms still on it, but no new flowers... flowers look very similar to S nicolai, too. What's the difference?

On Nov 20, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I grew a white bird in the ground for about nine years at my home in St. Petersburg, Florida, zone 9b. It grew from an under two foot tall plant bought in a pot, to an over eight foot tall plant in the ground that was higher than the eaves of the house, but it never bloomed, perhaps because it was in too much shade. I had planted it against a Southern wall of the house, painted white, which I thought would give it both protection from the cold, but reflected light, but I had a giant laurel oak growing nearby and apparently it kept my plant too shaded to bloom.

I now have a plant in a container, over five feet tall with a new "pup," and it did get some splits in the leaves due to wind damage, as it was outdoors all Summer here in Northcentral Florida, zone 8b. It survived ... read more

On Nov 19, 2003, tropicaldane from Corinth, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

I'm stationed in Central Texas, and have a number (around 30 in the last year) of tropical plants ranging from Gingers (Red, White, Awapuhi, and Kahili) and Hibiscus, to two Bird of Paradise. One of them I'm growing from seed, the other is a 3' sub-adult (I'm guessing). I don't look for this one to bloom for another year or two, so no disappointments. One thing I've found with all of these plants (at least the ones that, in their native habitat, can be found in the forests and other humid places), is that they respond incredibly to misting. I was having problems with browning and curling leaves on the Gingers, the Gardenia, and both of the Bird of Paradise. Since I started misting them numerous times per day (before I go to work, when I get home, and again early evening), all of the new gr... read more

On Jun 29, 2003, jamesNmary wrote:

We bought a 3-4 foot White Bird of Paradise, which is now 5 1/2 feet tall. We keep it in the house in a 16" drained pot near a south-facing door in Jacksonville, Forida (U.S.) where it gets a little sun. We crack the blinds, as minimal sun causes the BOP to stay small. The leaves grow up in a spindle and unfurl a supple dark green. They tend to become drier afterwards; easy to tear and do some splitting accompanied with browned edges. The splitting is minimal and not on all the leaves. If we handle freely we can split the leave easily, so we believe splitting will occur more easily if grown outside because of the wind and possibly drier non-shade outside climates. This seems to be normal. Our leaves maintain a shiny gloss. We have heard that it won't bloom unless it gets its full amount ... read more

On Jun 29, 2003, Margparfrey from Round Lake, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have this plant and mine is also curling a bit, even though I water once a week.

My plant is about 5 1/2 feet tall, and I have had it about eight months. It definately doesn't take to kindly to the cold drafts so if you have your plant outside, you had better bring it in when the temperature drops, and keep it away from cold drafty windows.

I have been carefully studying my plant and I recently found an earwig bug inside the wall of this plant. I killed it with the Raid bug spray for earwigs and it died, but since then a new leaf is having trouble uncurling. My suggestion is to watch out and spray for earwigs. This earwig was on this new leaf and now this new leaf isn't doing very well. (Brown spots and slightly discolored.)

On Jun 29, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

Coming from tropical regions, this plant requires moist soil; it should be watered once a week, or even every five days.

Some monocots only show that they need water when the plant dries up. Its not very common to see monocots with wilted leaves.

On Jun 29, 2003, rosrosa wrote:

I have a large White Bird of Paradise plant that I bought about a month ago. I repotted it in a clay pot and placed it in front of a window that receives about an hour or two of direct light but mostly indirect light. In general the plant is beautiful, I just want to make sure it lasts. Since I bought it one new leaf has unfurled. All of the leaves though are a tiny bit curled toward the bottom. I only water it when the soil is dry for fear of overwatering (I'd say about once every 1 1/2 weeks). Also, some of the leaves have a bit of brown in them and I wonder if they are being burned by the sun.