Narrow-Leaved Bird of Paradise
Strelitzia juncea

Family: Strelitziaceae
Genus: Strelitzia (stre-LITZ-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: juncea (JUN-kee-uh) (Info)

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

Sebring, Florida

Dayton, Nevada

On Nov 14, 2010, ovelia from Boquete
Panama wrote:

Strelitzias do fine as indoor plants, or shade plants, if you're interested primarily in the lovely leaves. To bloom, however, they must have good sun. I live in the mountains in Panama. Strelitzias grown outdoors in full sun bloom like crazy, but those on my patio--which gets a moderate amount of sun--thrive but have never produced a bloom.

On Jul 3, 2009, xionis from Naples, FL wrote:

I have a very fine form (foliage wise) of this plant that I have been growing in Naples, FL for 14 years...it is currently in a 22" pot with at least 20 fan-shaped growths. However, try as I might, with all sorts of fertilizers, varying moisture levels and "false" day lengths, I have never been able to get a bloom from this plant. I suspect that a combination of temperature and day-length may be the culprit (we are in a much different latitude than S. Africa). Do any of you have any ideas? I have seen the same plant actually blooming on the Atlantic coast of Florida, but never on the Gulf coast. Thanks for your knowledge and expertise!

On Jan 29, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Somewhat rarer form of Strelitzia reginae, with little or no leaves on stalks/petioles. The flowers are similar but there are a lot more double flowers on this variety than on the regular S reginae. Pretty drought tolerant plant, often put in cactus gardens for color and curiosity here in Southern California. Easy to divide and move- very tolerant of abuse.