PlantFiles: Rose Verbena, Purple Verbena, Homestead Verbena
Glandularia canadensis 'Homestead Purple'

Family: Verbenaceae (ver-be-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Glandularia (glan-doo-LAIR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: canadensis (ka-na-DEN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Homestead Purple

Thumbnail #6 of Glandularia canadensis by metros

By beardtongue
Thumbnail #7 of Glandularia canadensis by beardtongue

Positive vossner On Feb 24, 2014, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This verbena is the hardiest in my garden and while it is best in full sun, mine is planted in the shade of aloysia and does quite well. IME, it is easily killed if overwatered.

Neutral coriaceous On Feb 18, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A decent bedding plant, but not a perennial here in Boston Z6a. I've never managed to get it to winter over, nor have any of my local gardening friends. Nor has a relative on Long Island Z7a, who grows it in sand.

Neutral hipgranny63 On Feb 17, 2014, hipgranny63 from Edmonds, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Well, here it is mid-February and my 'Homestead Purple' Verbena looks completely dead. We did have several days of temperatures in the low 20's, so that probably did it in as the two winters before were much more mild and it came back. But, I will try cutting it back next month to see if that stimulates more growth and if not, I will plant more. The only problem I had with it when it was alive was with aphids, but I used Neem oil and that got rid of them. The glorious purple flowers all summer long makes it worth doing!

Positive jazzy1okc On Feb 17, 2014, jazzy1okc from Oklahoma City, OK wrote:

While this is a very reliable and lovely ground cover plant here, it DOES NOT like cold wet, poorly drained soil in winter and DOES need a little help to fight off spider mites during prolonged summer drought. I sprinkle some Bayer systemic rose food down between the branches and water deeply if I see leaves becoming affected by the mites. Otherwise, I water deeply only once a week during drought. It is so lovely and lush that I keep it in check using hedge sheers.

Positive hoitider On Feb 24, 2012, hoitider from Emerald Isle, NC wrote:

Here it is feb.26 2012 and it along with the red and pink verbrna are still bloming both in pots and on the ground,weve had freses but nothin prolonged,this has been a wow plant,living on the coast in a harsh enviroment where many perennials dont come back,I cant say enough about this plant

Positive Omegatop On Jan 16, 2012, Omegatop from Hampton, VA wrote:

I love this plant. It blooms most of the year for me. I have blooms as of January 16 and we have had several 20 degree F nights. It attracts hummingbird moths, butterflies and bees. It will spread out of control, if not monitored.

Positive PegsProgress On Oct 11, 2010, PegsProgress from Mansfield Center, CT wrote:

I bought this plant at a late summer clearance sale. It spread very happily into the fall and had beautiful blooms. Butterflies and hummingbirds appreciated them. I'm going to try to mulch the crown for the winter (zone 6A), and keep some cuttings going indoors just in case. Let you know how it works out!

Positive amygirl On Sep 21, 2009, amygirl from Miami, FL wrote:

I love this plant! What a great flowering ground cover. It grows well during our dry season, from December through May in south Florida. It does not like our rainy season, though.

Positive oldcountryrose On Apr 24, 2009, oldcountryrose from Edmond, OK wrote:

This plant is a great success in my sunny zone 7a butterfly garden. Was evergreen during our winter, that was dryer and warmer than usual, and started blooming in late March. Now in late April, it is a mass of deep purple blooms over lush, dark green foliage. It is a big hit with giant moths. Yesterday evening about dusk, I counted (as best I could) some 30 of them hovering like little hummingbirds around this single plant that is now about 4' across. Low growing, beautiful ground cover--neither invasive nor a bully. Gets along well with its neighbors.

Negative stormyla On Jun 21, 2008, stormyla from Norristown, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Spacing 6 to 9"????? These plants grew to in excess of 40" across. They smothered and killed many other plants. With constant shearing they bloomed all summer. After the 2nd year they did not return.

Positive DrHahn On Mar 31, 2008, DrHahn from Milton, FL wrote:

Beautiful! Blooms year round here. People stop their cars and ask me what it is! Takes full Florida southern exposure and neglect. I shear it down several inches after it blooms.

Positive JedS On Dec 27, 2007, JedS from Shawnee Mission, KS wrote:

A wonderful wandering, sturdy plant with deep purple flowers. Blooms profusely from spring through late summer in eastern Kansas. Drought resistant. However, it doesn't like rich, poor draining clay soil because it promotes root rot, especially in the winter. Spreads via underground runners.

Positive SherryLike On Aug 22, 2007, SherryLike from SE Arky
United States (Zone 8a) wrote:

I love this plant. I put it out 'too' early and it was in a late freeze, and apparently loved it. It has been blooming since early spring, I have not touched it or used fertilizer, I didn't cut it back after blooming, the spent flowers seem to disappear in the thick, dark foliage and the stems disappear without notice too. It has no bugs or disease. Nothing seems to bother it or keep it from blooming, doesn't demand water and doesn't mind the roses & other plants being watered. I did notice that one plant didn't seem to bloom as well in the shade but when I removed a tree limb, the plant caught up almost immediately. The nursery tells me that their plants remain green in the winter, and that they bloom until it freezes.

Positive Bevjsuba On Jun 16, 2007, Bevjsuba from Toomsuba, MS wrote:

Purple Homestead Verbena grows wild in my front yard. We are in middle of a possible dry spell and after a recent couple of hours of rain, the purple verbena was out again. i dug some up today and will try to see if it will live in my raised flower bed with the commercial Homestead Verbena that was recently planted. The roots from the wild Verbena are thick and long. I know it will need alot of water.

purple verbena is my favorite this year. It has been growing wild for several years here.

Bev Allen, Toomsuba, Ms

Positive WUVIE On Apr 2, 2007, WUVIE from Hulbert, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is a much enjoyed plant in our garden walkway.
The first year I planted, it did not do well, but I attribute
that to the clay soil and lack of water.

Last summer I decided I liked it quite a bit, so I piled
on the peat moss and watered it well. WOW!

It is so easy to care for, so easy to transplant, and if
it spills where you don't want it, simply pull it up and
toss it out. But beware of the tossing location, as this
wonderful little creeper will likely sprout.

Love it!

Positive addicted2plants On Feb 11, 2007, addicted2plants from Saint Louis, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

Absolutely love this plant! It blooms right till frost and has been much more dependable than red verbena or other plants labeled as verbena with lacey foliage. It occasionally comes back from areas along vines that have rooted. I have dug them up and moved them with good sucess. For humid Missouri it is one of my top 5 favorites!

Neutral Tammylp On Jan 24, 2007, Tammylp from Lima, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

Purchased 2 on sale and planted fall 2006; we'll see how they do here. My tag say z4-7; but it is different everywhere I look.

Neutral Meredith79 On Jul 23, 2006, Meredith79 from Southeastern, NH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I planted one I found on clearance in fall in my garden. I was hoping it was as hardy as the wild species is supposed to be, but it did not return the following spring. I didn't get to see it for long enough to give it a positive rating, but it was pretty while it lasted, and I did see a Monarch visit it once or twice.

Positive corkey1109 On Jul 11, 2006, corkey1109 from Granbury, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

granbury tx 7b. i love this plant i have had it in a front flower bed for 4 years...it is an evergreen here...never goes away..blooms start early in march..cut back after the blooms finish and within 3 weeks blooming profusely again....it blooms up to frost..then stays green through the winter...i have never had to replace any part of it,..,.always full

Positive HostaFanatic On Apr 15, 2006, HostaFanatic from Rockwood, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I've had the same experience, with the center of the plant dying and just the outer stems surviving winter. For that reason, most people in this area treat it as an annual, and buy new plants each spring. It spreads well, filling in nicely with an intense purple, and is covered in blooms. You more than get your money's worth with 'Homestead Purple'.

Positive randy10 On Jan 13, 2005, randy10 from Fishers, IN (Zone 5a) wrote:

What a wonderful plant! I planted it last spring for the first time and it practically took over my rock garden. I have
attempted to winterize it by mulching heavily and wind breaker. If it doesn't come back in the spring, I will purchase
another one. We took several bouquet cuttings during the summer and a couple of times I had to cut it back. The hummers and butterflies loved it too.

Neutral baileysmom On Aug 10, 2004, baileysmom from Lawrenceville, GA wrote:

The first year I loved it. The second year after looking at dead looking stems all winter, the plants that did come back had moved. What came back were shoots that had rooted but not the original plant. Does not look that good in the August garden in humid Atlanta. Am told there is a way to rejuvenate it but I don't know what that is.

Positive langbr On Jul 19, 2003, langbr from Olathe, KS (Zone 6a) wrote:

'Blue Princess' one of my new favorites! Bought one on a lark early Spring 2003. Terrific growth and spreads to fill in bare spots. Blooms began for me in late June (Zone 5b). Carefree except for removing spent blooms and fairly drought tolerant.

Following taken from nursery notes: " Blue Princess has prolific, lightly fragrant flowers, healthy, mildew resistant foliage and an extremely vigorous growth habit. Best performance is obtained by shearing the spent flowers monthly and providing a light fertilization in both spring and fall. The most common insect problem is the flea hopper, often mistaken for spider mites, which is best controlled by shearing."

Arab, Alabama
Paradise, California
Grand Junction, Colorado
Mansfield Center, Connecticut
New Haven, Connecticut
Deltona, Florida (2 reports)
Gainesville, Florida
Old Hickory, Tennessee
Rockwood, Tennessee
Smyrna, Tennessee
Arlington, Texas
Austin, Texas (3 reports)
Belton, Texas
Colmesneil, Texas
Coppell, Texas
Georgetown, Texas (2 reports)
Granbury, Texas