PlantFiles: Flowering Banana, Ornamental Banana, Bronze Banana
Musa ornata

Family: Musaceae
Genus: Musa (MEW-suh) (Info)
Species: ornata (or-NAH-tuh) (Info)

Synonym:Musa mexicana

Thumbnail #6 of Musa ornata by Chamma

By Chamma
Thumbnail #7 of Musa ornata by Chamma

Positive spete On Aug 4, 2006, spete from Marlow, OK (Zone 7b) wrote:

In southern Oklahoma, this plant can be grown successfully in the ground. Just mulch heavily over the winter, and it comes back, year after year.

Positive Gourdlady2006 On Jun 20, 2006, Gourdlady2006 from Rienzi, MS (Zone 7a) wrote:

These banana trees will grow in Northeast MS; however, they do die back after frost. I just cut them off even with the ground and cover with 4 inches of pine needles. They come back year after year and produce lots of "babies". After the young are about 6 inches tall, I seperate them from the parent plant and give to friends, family and neighbors.

Negative 4xthefun On Feb 8, 2006, 4xthefun from Corpus Christi, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This was a volunteer that came up under the fence from our neighbors. At first we were excited at our "free" banana tree. Now we have about 10 and they just keep coming. Can't get rid of the darn things. I would recommend planting them with some kind of barrior like is done with trailing bamboo.

Positive deborahgrand On Aug 17, 2004, deborahgrand from Baton Rouge, LA wrote:

This was a "volunteer" plant that grew up in our yard and we were happy to have it. Here in BR, haven' had much luck in the bananas fully ripening, but it's been fun to try. Only downside is that (at least here) it is a haven for big nasty bugs. Oh well, we love it anyway.

Neutral NativePlantFan9 On Jul 25, 2004, NativePlantFan9 from Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

The popular Banana Tree is found throughout the Tropics. It is grown in southern Florida frequently and is very attractive-looking. I had one of these at my old Tamarac home and we sometimes ate the bananas when they were ripe! It is very similar to is close relative, the Traveler's Palm. The one I had was smaller than a Traveler's Palm, at about 8 feet tall (Was it? I can't remember exactly). I'm not sure what variety of bananas it was, but anyway the plant grows in zones 10a, 10b, 11 and below. Grows in well in many areas of Boca Raton, including some neighborhoods near me, in the company of the Bird-of-Paradise and Traveler's Palm and fruit trees. Many varieties are available in nurseries. I can;t remember how to grow them - can anyone tell me how and where the originate from (the original)? Thanks!

Positive nipajo On Jul 7, 2003, nipajo from Dallas, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

i love the banana, it adds so much to my backyard. although it multiplies like wildfire, i started with one and have over thirty now. it has never flowered or given bananas because of our winters. but the banana adds a tropical backround that i love.

Neutral OlgaN On Jun 29, 2003, OlgaN from Miami, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

A fast grower, provides a lush tropical feel to the garden, inflorescence and fruit provide a very interesting sight. On the down side, the dead leaves need to be taken care of periodically since they stay attached to the plant.

Wetumpka, Alabama
Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)
Fresno, California (3 reports)
Lafayette, California