Rain Lily, Rainlily, Fairy Lily, Zephyr Lily
Zephyranthes candida

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Zephyranthes (ze-fi-RANTH-eez) (Info)
Species: candida (KAN-did-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Amaryllis candida

Bulbs

Satsuma, Alabama

Warrior, Alabama

Cochise, Arizona

Goodyear, Arizona

Maricopa, Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)

Queen Creek, Arizona

Scottsdale, Arizona (2 reports)

Tucson, Arizona (2 reports)

Malvern, Arkansas

Fresno, California

Highgrove, California

La Verne, California

Long Beach, California

San Diego, California (2 reports)

Santa Ana, California

Clearwater, Florida

Deltona, Florida

Englewood, Florida

Fort Pierce, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)

Lake City, Florida

Trout, Louisiana

Cumberland, Maryland

Ijamsville, Maryland

Carriere, Mississippi

Florence, Mississippi (2 reports)

Henderson, Nevada

Okatie, South Carolina

Summerville, South Carolina

Nashville, Tennessee

Arlington, Texas

Austin, Texas (3 reports)

Boerne, Texas

Weatherford, Texas

Mc Lean, Virginia

Buffalo, West Virginia

On Oct 8, 2012, Klug from San Diego, CA wrote:

Here in San Diego, I have the pink and the yellow. The pinks are larger, but don't seem to bloom as often or be as prolific in spreading. On the other hand, got some yellow three years ago, they have completely filled the big pot and just last week I harvested another batch of seeds. They get this nice seed head that is easy to spot. I get those little organza bags at a craft store, the ones they use for wedding favors and just put them over the pod and let the seed ripen,. Because the little satin ribbons hold the bag closed, until you take it off, you don't lose any precious seeds. The yellows seem to bloom longer and more frequently than the pink, altho the pinks individual flowers seem to last a little longer.

On Jun 10, 2012, pancha from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7b) wrote:

just helped a friend divide these to share....they've been in a pot for 5 years. She was told to take them inside in winter. We're in Oklahoma....zone 6B although for several years are more like 7. Does anyone else in OK grow them? I just divided the bulbs....they were very crowded and had stopped blooming. they're the pink ones that bloom all summer and into fall. Any recommendations or experience with these in my area?

On Feb 18, 2012, CatInTheHat from Reynoldsburg, OH wrote:

I live in Reynoldsburg, Ohio and had these appear from nowhere in a bed about 8 years ago. They receive no special treatment or feeding but each year they spread a little further. The flowers don't last much more than a week and leaves and everything disappear by mid to late Spring. Should I be doing anything to help them?

On Aug 16, 2010, HolyChickin from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

My Mother has rain lillies growing in her front yard. Every time it rains (which is often), this plant goes bananas! She has them in white and purple (but it looks more pink to me). For a while, she was having some issues because the lawn guys would buzz them down to nothing but, they would always sprout back. So I would say it's pretty hardy!

Apparently, if you have one, it will duplicate itself pretty rapidly. My Mom said that the lady that gave them to her had only a few in her yard... by the time she moved out, they were completely covering the area where she had them. It was like a sea of rain lilies!

I have been loving them for a while... my Mom told me to dig some up but I just never had the heart to do it. They look so pretty in her yard... So I just... read more

On Mar 24, 2010, khabbab from lahore
Pakistan (Zone 10b) wrote:

This is a perennial in lahore, pakistan. It self seeds easily though it is grown mainly from bulbs. It blooms in monsoon rains. looks good in masses.

On Jan 25, 2010, MotherNatureII from Garfield, WA (Zone 5b) wrote:

This great little plant is sold in pet shop aquariums as a "Dwarf Onion"! It is listed as a 'terrarium' plant, but will live completely underwater in an aquarium for months. I plant to plant this lily around the edge of my pond in zone 5! We'll see how it does!

On Sep 19, 2009, bade from Nashville, TN wrote:

Not really supposed to be hardy in my area but it has held on like a champ and even spread, though it will not bloom when growing in abusive conditions, like competing with vinca, poor soil, underground rodents, no water, etc. This year I treated it better and it bloomed and seems to be thriving. All my different colors planted together bloom at different times - only white, only pink, only yellow - weird. Foliage not that attractive on the white ones.

On Apr 30, 2007, abitabar from Abita Springs, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Love it. It stays evergreen and the flowers are so lovely: pure white, and so simple and fresh looking. I have mine planted in an area where my well pump (we are not on city water) baskwash discharges. So they are inundated with water from time to time. Sad to say, I sorely neglected that part of the garden the last couple of years and another moisture loving plant overtook the area. However, I cleaned up the area last month and found the Zephyranthes bulbs had thrived and multiplied. In fact, the bulbs have multiplied so much that I will have to divide and transplant soon.

On Apr 25, 2005, stephem from Virginia Beach, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Was told that it wasn't hardy in my zone (6 - East Islip, NY 11730), looked good til February when we got a ton of snow and I was sure it died, but this spring, the green leaves are back! Looks like plain grass but when it blooms, it is very pretty.

On Mar 11, 2005, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

This plant does well here in Rio de Janeiro. I planted two dozens of well formed plants 4 months ago, and they are still blooming like crazy. I have found a weird yellow and jelly fungus growing on the leaves of one of them, but I dont know how it is affecting it, or if it could be dangerous to the other plants.

Besides that, the white flowers, lasting 2 days each, are just lovely, an uncommon sight over here.

On Feb 2, 2005, bluespiral from (Zone 7a) wrote:

From the essay, "Deserving of Italics" by Michael Cunningham, in the gardening quarterly, "Hortus", No. 70 Summer 2004.

In 1513, the plain of the Rio de la Plata was so carpeted with bajillions of Zephyranthes candida, that the Spaniards who "discovered" it called it the River of Silver.

On Feb 27, 2003, mbandaka wrote:

This white Zeph is very common. It is distinctly late blooming. Will set seed freely. Can be used to make trihybrids and at least a few will be fertile. Often the trihybrid is prettier than the first hybrid. (By trihybrid I mean using 3 distinct species) Candid x Citrina for example, then that F1 x macrosiphon. The seedlings tend to be pastel and prolific bloomers.

On Aug 9, 2002, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Introduced in 1515 from Argentina and now widely naturalised. One of the hardiest.