PlantFiles: Curry Tree, Curry Leaf Tree, Curryleaf Tree, Sweet Nim
Murraya koenigii

Family: Rutaceae (roo-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Murraya (mer-RAY-yuh) (Info)
Species: koenigii (ko-NIG-ee-eye) (Info)

Synonym:Bergera koenigii

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Aromatic

By air layering

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By Dinu

Thumbnail #5 of Murraya koenigii by Thaumaturgist

Thumbnail #6 of Murraya koenigii by Thaumaturgist

Thumbnail #7 of Murraya koenigii by Thaumaturgist

Neutral raas On Jun 24, 2012, raas from new castle, DE wrote:

can anyone tell where can i get dwarf curry leaf plant or seed , not bhatia please , its very expensive and tiny, delicate. i bought one and died.

Positive doc3 On Jun 7, 2012, doc3 from PLAYA DEL REY, CA wrote:

I have a small tree in its third growth season that is about 3 ft tall. I live about half a mile from the beach in Southern California and I keep the plant inside all year. It seems to do best when it is in full sun with a shaded root ball. It flowered this spring and set about 50 berries which now range in size from 3mm to 9mm. It was growing as a single stem until flowering and the new growth is branching from below where the berries are ripening. Now that the berries are turning black I have picked a few to see what the seeds are like. What appears to be the seed seems to be only about 1 to 2 mm in diameter and I am wondering if this is characteristic of mature seed or if the tree will bear fruit with non-viable seeds?

Neutral Curtiosity On Dec 2, 2011, Curtiosity from Sewanee, TN wrote:

I live on a mountain in SE Tennessee. I bought my curry tree last fall by mail from a grower in Texas. I almost lost the young tree early last spring (while it was still indoors) to scale and white flies - even though this plant supposedly is not attractive to these pests. According to plan, I bring the tree in during winter and put it outside when night temps exceed 60 degrees. This summer the tree flourished - a deer gave it a difficult time once, but it bounced back. Right now the plant is in my bathroom, having received a shower to wash off the sticky sweet honeydew I associate with white flies, and a thorough going over with cotton swabs and tweezers to remove the scale that was beginning to attack. What can I do, organically, to discourage scale and white flies? I want the leaves of this plant for culinary purposes. I have already thrown away other plants with a white fly history that winter indoors .

Positive juku On Aug 20, 2011, juku from York Point, NS (Zone 5a) wrote:

I'm obsessed (:>) with this plant - don't seem to have enough.
I have 8 plants from 12" to 36", and 3 of them flowered this past spring, but the fruit dropped out prematurely.
My consolation: the largest plant sent out suckers and I was able to extract 2 seedlings. Presently, it just sent out another 3 suckers. I'll try to get more seedlings.

Because I use their leaves for cooking, I need larger (6'+) plants. If anyone has some idea where I may be able to acquire large them, I'd be so delighted.

Happy gardening & be excellent to each other!

Positive ummh On Aug 27, 2010, ummh from Crosswicks, NJ wrote:

Hey Namratab20000 , do you have any seeds this year???
Coz u can actually propogate this tree from seed as well. There's a technique to it coz these seeds are viable.

Positive namratab20000 On Oct 10, 2009, namratab20000 from Sunnyvale, CA wrote:

We inherited a small plant when we bought our house.
It has grown to be 8+ feet tall and lots of our firends come over to get leaves.

Question: Its currently seeding and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to grow seedlings,etc..

Positive evr On Aug 17, 2008, evr from Toronto, ON (Zone 5b) wrote:

VERY HARD to propagate from stem cuttings. It's hard to get this plant in Canada, so I decided to buy the leaves with the stem still attached to it (only cost me $1.00 teehhee =D). within a day or two the leaves start to drop. I was lucky enough that one stem without much leaves was buried 2 inches down. I just checked today and it had new sprouts of leaves =D. I'm just lucky...not an experienced gardener lol.

Now I check them like 5 times a day and mist them and cover them with a plastic bottle. They're like diamonds to me hehehhe. Have to wait 2-3 years until I can use them *sighs*.

Positive bigthicket On Jun 27, 2008, bigthicket from Houston, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

An Indian friend has a big one growing by her patio here...taller than the roof! When it's in bloom the butterflies swarm it. The leaves are a very typical South Indian flavoring; which I've experienced firsthand in Kerala. (Curry powders aim to imitate this flavor). I'm growing a little plant now, which sprouted from seed under my friend's plant. It doesn't like freezes, but survives here in zone 9a.

Neutral gardenfolk On Jan 20, 2007, gardenfolk from Lake Hughes, CA wrote:

Hello. We bought our curry tree this last summer and it more than doubled in size in about 4-5 months time. As the weather started cooling off it started dropping many of it's leaves. Additionally, the leaves that remained started getting these hideous brown spots and getting this yellow veining in the leaves. It looks so hideous now. I've tried numerous things to help it to no avail. Any ideas out there? If need be, I can submit a picture of the poor thing. Thanks.

Positive FloridaGrower On Feb 27, 2006, FloridaGrower from Winter Springs, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I am currently working for a Indian wholesale shop selling Indian sweets, and was given a specimen of this most cherished bush, and haved enjoyed its easy growth. I actually enjoy eating this occasionally raw, just washed a little. This spice makes certain dishes what they are. It is fairly easy to grow, I will say that it enjoys constant waterings, especially if its in a container, and likes soil that drains well. It likes soil rich in compost, and maybe the occasional fertilizer. Got to understand Indian food, culture, religion to really appreciate this bush.

Positive rekha_sharma On Aug 21, 2004, rekha_sharma from Nottingham
United Kingdom wrote:

I bought three seedlings from Old Hall Nurseries, and they have been growing well upto now. BUT, on one of them the apical bud is not opening; I snipped the second one's apical bud in the hope that I could make it bushy, but it is failing to respond; the third one is fine. I am hoping to propogate one by putting cuttings in gel2root. Has anyone tried this?

Positive tnmc On Jul 2, 2004, tnmc from Coventry
United Kingdom wrote:

I live in the English Midlands and so for me this is a windowsill pot at the moment. I've had it for about a year and it's grown about 3-4 inches or so, so it's now about a foot tall, but very slender, so I have it staked as it'll just fall over if it gets wet!

Anyway, the reason I'm writing about it is that since a few months in, there has started a build-up of a kind of sticky resin on some of the leaves, almost reminiscent of the sap stains left by aphids, but there are no aphids on the plant. These stains are also on the window next to the pot! Very strange.

Further, all up the stem and on all the older leaves along the central vein is a buildup of little splotches of a kind of yellow-ish/brown resin. It wipes off the stem easily enough, but kind of needs to be scraped off the leaves.

Is this only me that has this? Perhaps it's a reaction to the plant being in my kitchen? It can't be grease...I very seldom fry and it's not on any of my other plants, such as my windowsill chilli plants!

It seems to be thriving despite this, but I can find no mention of anything like this in any description of the plant, and it's not on any photo of it I've seen!

Very strange...can anyone comment please? Many thanks.../Taras

Positive jaxpatart On Apr 29, 2004, jaxpatart from Jacksonville, FL wrote:

4/29/04 - Report from Jacksonville, FL: My curry plant looks like Dinu's so I won't send a photo. Mine was a gift from an Indian friend after I commented about the lovely flavor in a dish she had made. For cooking, I nip off a "branch" and put it in the pot when the oil is hot to get the max flavor. Am amazed that this plant grows so tall - probably not in NE Florida, however. Mine is only 14 inches. Still it has survived 3 winters here and is looking healthy. A branch or two wrapped in damp paper towel and put in a plastic bag makes a great and unusual house gift for friends who like to cook.

Neutral Dinu On Jun 11, 2003, Dinu from Mysore
India (Zone 10a) wrote:

Here in India, it grows almost without care! When the tree is old enough, the more often it is pruned, the better the quality of leaves. Last year, a particular pest - I have posted a picture of it in one of my threads, completely destroyed all the leaves. I had three of them, but I retained one. The pest was so stubborn. Since the leaves of it are edible, I did not use any chemical sprays. These pests attack only in the rainy season. Overall, it is a very useful plant/tree to have in every garden. The leaves, aside from its flavour, has good medicinal properties. The blakish berries are a favourite of the Koels, which also disperse the seeds. I have found seedlings esp. under the trees - the koels' droppings with the seeds grow new plants.

Positive dziyone On Jun 11, 2003, dziyone wrote:

When you add curry leaves to cooking you get a deep weak bitter yet subtle flavour

Grenoble,