PlantFiles: Malaysian Dracaena, Small-leaved Dragon Tree
Dracaena reflexa 'Song of India'

Family: Asparagaceae
Genus: Dracaena (dra-SEE-nah) (Info)
Species: reflexa (ree-FLEKS-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Song of India
Additional cultivar information: (aka Variegata)

Synonym:Draco reflexa

Thumbnail #6 of Dracaena reflexa by Dinu

By cactus_lover
Thumbnail #7 of Dracaena reflexa by cactus_lover

Positive Feather10 On Jul 25, 2010, Feather10 from Debary, FL wrote:

In Florida this plant is a shade loving plant. I have a varigated and non varigated version. Last winter I lost most of the non varigated to freeze. I protected it from all sun and gave it a little TLC. It is now coming back with two new shoots from the root. Beautiful foliage plant.

Positive Dutchlady1 On Jan 2, 2010, Dutchlady1 from Naples, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

This is the absolute easiest Dracaena to root! I just stick pieces in the ground...

Positive SudieGoodman On Oct 31, 2009, SudieGoodman from Broaddus, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Zone 8b, Heat Zone 9 deep East, TX near Lake Sam Rayburn
10-31-09 I found soft scale on the bottom of my leaves on my Song of India, Dracaena reflexa 'Vareigata'.
It spent the summer in a pot placed in a west area under shade trees.
I will take the following action rid my plant of scale:
Organic Gardening recommends spot treating scale by wiping them from plant with a cotton ball soaked in 70 percent isopropyl alcohol. (find at any grocery store)
My plant is large so I used the whole-plant spray by diluting 2 cups of isopropyl alcohol with one quart water.
Note: Test this solution on a small area of YOUR plant before spraying to be sure YOUR plant will not be damaged.
I plan to bring my Song of India inside for the winter as soon as all scale has been eliminated.
Have a cozy winter season : )

Positive diamndsnjns On Sep 9, 2007, diamndsnjns from Crosby, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant was given to me as a gift when my father passed away and I knew NOTHING about it. After a week it almost died inside the house - I moved it to the greenhouse and it started coming back. I have it in a large pot on the south side of my house and it has gotten full sun just about all day and is doing great. 2 of the tops were broken off and I stuck them in the ground just to see what they would do - one of them has started growing a new plant.

Positive Lewellyn On Nov 27, 2005, Lewellyn from Linton, IN wrote:

I have had a Pleomele as an indoor plant for twenty yrs. It has moved across country, and moved into eight different homes. It remains about the same height as the day it was purchsed at a nursery (approx eight feet) it has not fully bloomed since the first year. But every year it 'tries' to bloom but the bloom dries up before it flourishes. I would love to talk to anyone who knows much about this as an indoor plant

Kristysfashions@aol.com
thanks

Neutral skyflyin0069 On Jul 23, 2003, skyflyin0069 wrote:

I have just begun to involve myself with plants and had this one at my home. It was doing well until I decided that it needed some more sunlight. I placed it, along with 3 other plants, along the east side of my home to get direct sunlight. This was done on a Friday. I went away for the weekend and neglected to bring them back inside. Sunday, when I returned, they were severly damaged. The pleomele had burnt approx. 3 inches from the top down. I lost all of the leaves and any chance of it producing more.

Brea, California
Carlsbad, California
La Mesa, California
Denver, Colorado
Big Pine Key, Florida
Boca Raton, Florida (2 reports)
Debary, Florida
Fort Lauderdale, Florida (3 reports)
Key West, Florida
Lecanto, Florida
Naples, Florida
Port Charlotte, Florida
Saint Cloud, Florida
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Sarasota, Florida (2 reports)
Seminole, Florida