Purple Velvet Plant, Velvet Plant, Royal Velvet Plant
Gynura aurantiaca

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Gynura (jy-NYOOR-uh) (Info)
Species: aurantiaca (aw-ran-ti-AYE-kuh) (Info)
Synonym:Cacalia aurantiaca

Edmonds, Washington

Puyallup, Washington

Blue River, Wisconsin

On Oct 24, 2014, nikidot from Livermore, ME wrote:

I started with a small clipping from a friends plant and it has grown like a weed! My boyfriend over pruned it and it didn't grow for a few months until I started feeding it ground eggshells every other weekly watering. Again it is thriving! I find it has grown best in my bedroom across the room from the window. I had it on my desk under the sill and it wilted like crazy! This plant is so easy to grow and looks beautiful!! My longest vine is now about 16 feet long and the plant is only about 6 months old. :)

On Jun 3, 2012, kiramarie from Chalmette, LA wrote:

My grandmother was blessed by mother nature.. She grew over 200 potted plants all indoors.. Mainly this Purple Passion. Original plant I recall she had for my whole childhood and was in a hanging basket with actually minimal filtered light with "vines" reaching over some 20 feet long.. the "vines" suspended from ceiling by series of hooks as to keep it out head way..from her cuttings dozens of other plants were created thus our home was a purple velvet jungle..
Always yearning but could never find one here in N.O. area till. couple months ago I did but just a few tiny I mean tiny starter plants.. Here is the thing.. out of the 4 tiny pots each one contained about 4 rooted clippings..I started them out in between 2- 6 deep x12 long pots alone.. for whatever reason , I cannot dete... read more

On May 13, 2011, MzAmie from Brooklyn, NY wrote:

I had this plant for about 10 years as a child. I just found it again at my local IKEA in Bklyn, Ny.

On Aug 21, 2010, xbacca from Avondale, PA wrote:

I noticed someone mentioning small bugs around this plant. They are probably spider mites or aphids. You can use insecticidal soap to get rid of them. If you mist the plant, it keeps the bugs away for the most part.

On Jul 9, 2009, cruz4him from Toronto, ON (Zone 6a) wrote:

I just saw this plant in my florist's shop last night and did some research. I noticed that no one here has mentioned a rather undesirable aspect of the plant -- the stink from the bloom.

Are the reports I've read exaggerated?

On Dec 30, 2008, rntx22 from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love this plant. It survived (indoors) uncared for, for over 3 weeks while we were on vacation. I don't let mine grow like a vine - instead, when the stems start to get too tall and fall over, I cut them and stick the cutting in the soil and it roots very easily. The original stem where I cut it will then branch and keep growing. Easy to grow from leaf cuttings also.

On Sep 2, 2008, Annepaola from Manahawkin, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

I love the look of this plant and have had mixed results with it. I read the advice carefully for the next chance I get to grow one. It is often offered as a give away at our garden club. My only negative of it is the offensive odor of the flowers. Someone said to me that it smells like dog dirt and I think that is accurate. No problem to cut the flower buds off however.

On Jul 19, 2008, mspollyester from Montesano, WA wrote:

I had a clipping of this plant that a friend of mine gave me and it had a very good root system on it so I decided it was time to plant it. It looked really good for two weeks and then, just about overnight, began drooping and wilting.....I love this plant and did not even realize what it was until now.

On Apr 30, 2008, allaround63 from Knoxville, TN wrote:

I just bought one of these plants as Walmart for $1.88 and love it! I planted it with some other (don't remember all the names) little foliage plants I had gotten at my works Earth Day Plant sale in a long (about 20" x 6") planter. I didn't know it was suppose to get so big!! It is all the rage at work and my coworker sitting next to me will love the fact that it will grow from clipings since she LOVES the purple "fuzzie" as she calls it. Now I will have to go back and find a nice big, pretty pot to get for it for when it getts bigger. Fun Fun!!!

On Aug 3, 2007, btc129psu from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Purchased this plant from my college's horticultural club and kept it in my dorm room. Despite the conditions it did just fine. It really thrived when I placed it in the patio room at home where it grew to the floor and flowered profusely that summer. Kept in the patio room this plant did just fine all winter even in zone 6b. Cuttings root very easily in plain water too.

On Mar 29, 2007, charbonne from Wheaton, IL wrote:

I have been growing a few of these in my office work area, and love them! They get direct sunlight, and are flourishing! However, I am not sure where they have come from, but I am experiencing some very small miniature flies on one of them. They're a little smaller than the average mosquito, and I have seen them even crawling around the top of the soil. I have sort of quarantined it from the other plants I have. Has anyone had this same experience? If so, how could I go about the extermination process without destroying the plant itself? I'm not sure what the little flies are. Anyone? Thanks.

On Nov 25, 2006, kcstarbeam from Kansas City, MO wrote:

This plant is indeed difficult to find. I found mine on e-Bay. Previous experience with this plant has taught me that it will die if the soil is kept too wet and/or it is exposed to natural gas (my kitchen stove developed a small leak and my purple velvet plant had been moved from another room, where it thrived, into my kitchen where it died along with several other healthy plants.) Keep the soil barely moist and the plant in bright, filtered light (and out of the kitchen if you have a gas stove) and it should do fine. Cuttings for starter plants root faster in the summer where I live in Missouri

On Jul 29, 2006, workenstiff from Marcellus, MI wrote:

I have one of these plants, outside ,,and now it has white puffy things for blooms , plus the yellow flowers. Its covered with the white things all over. Are these seeds? They look just like a dandelion puff when the yellow part is done. New to all this, as you can probably tell. The plant itself is very healthy. Outdoors, shade in AM mostly , sun n PM mostly. Later

On Jun 27, 2006, cjolene from Emporia, KS (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love the look of this plant and it grows fast. Cuttings also root quickly which makes it an easy plant to share. In the summer, I keep this outside in bright, filtered light, but the orange, ratty looking blooms attract aphids so I prefer to cut them off.

On May 21, 2006, Pashta from Moncks Corner, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

I bought two small pots of these plants from the "these plants are a dollar because they are practically dead" cart at Lowes. They were bone dry, limp and listless looking. I repotted them both in the same 8" terra cotta planter, and gave them a thorough soaking, and they look better already. I am hoping to keep it in a nice dense velvety purple ball.

On Nov 29, 2005, Dennie from Glendale, AZ wrote:

I miss having this plant and would like any and all information. I would like to know were online I can order a piece or what flower shop sells them that I can call and order...any information where I can locate this plant in AZ will be a plus...thank you ever so much

On Aug 15, 2005, exotic_angel wrote:

I recently got this plant from a plant store and so far it has thrived. It hasn't started to bloom but it's late August so I don't expect it to bloom soon. So far it has been easy to care for which is a good thing because my green thumb seems to kill plants.

On Aug 20, 2004, AlGreaves from Grand Rapids, MI wrote:

I've had my plant for over 7 years - it has almost died several times. I had it very large with flowers, but now it's dying. I tried to transplant it - using "Miracle Gro" soil, and now it's turned to 2 sticks w/small leaves at the top. I don't know how to bring it back!!!! I've always used the same type of soil, and always cared for it the same way. Maybe it doesn't last as a houseplant past 7 years.

On Jul 10, 2004, Windchyme from Stockton, CA wrote:

This has the tenacity and growing habits of a weed- which for a beginner is great. What I did with 3 small slips I bought online is I potted them in a 6 in pot clumped together in the center. I then would take a cutting as soon as a stem was long enough to have enough length to leave 2 nodes above the soil and when cut just above the second node to have 3 on the cutting. I first put them in a glass of water in a window then later directly into the pot to fill the whole pot. The new growth that came out I did the same to. I ended up with a full BUSHY pot of purple passion that was flowing over. So I put it in an 8 inch and did the same. Pretty soon that one was full too so I moved it to a 24 inch pot. It is now overflowing that one. To make it bushy you have to trim around once a month wit... read more

On Jul 9, 2004, ugolois from East Millinocket, ME wrote:

I love this plant! We have one in our office which is doing beautifully. I have just taken a cutting to start one at home. I am wondering which part of the plant is poisonous when ingested? I have two cats and worry about them eating the plant. Is it deadly to animals or does it just make them sick?

On Jun 15, 2004, Wingnut from Spicewood, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I said neutral because I've never been able to keep one alive for very long (I've killed three so far), but I'm sure it's my fault. The last one was doing so very well in the greenhouse, cuttings rooted and main plant flowered even! But now that I have it back outside it's shrivelling up and dying again. But I love this plant, so I'll have to keep trying. "You're not stretching yourself as a gardener if you're not killing a few plants!" LOL!

On Apr 9, 2004, jeanie0469 wrote:

I have grown up all of my life with these plants hanging in the windows. However when they start really taking off, and you want a fuller plant, or to start a new one, we have always just taken a cutting and stuck in the dirt. It will look droopy for a little while, but then all of a sudden it takes off like wild fire:)

On Dec 22, 2003, jb07 wrote:

It is a beautiful plant, in which is grows nicely in doors. I bought the plant at LOWE'S and I keep it at work. Everyone loves and admires the plant's purple color. Plus, it does grow very likely. I had to bring in sticks to hold the plant up. I water it every other day, because it dries up so quickly. It is a nice plant for an indoor arrangement since I'm in NC.

On Dec 10, 2003, FloraHatch wrote:

I received a cut off of a plant and it grew like a weed. It is the most beautiful plant I have ever seen and the only one I have been able to keep alive. I water it once a week and it has gotten big. It does grow well out here in Arizona.

On Sep 5, 2003, JadesEmerald from Arvada, CO wrote:

I have just recently purchased on of these plants at a local flower shop, here in Colorado. It is full of buds!! As soon as it blooms I will take pictures and post them on here. I think it is an extremely interesting plant to add to my collection of plants.

On Jul 21, 2003, stevenova from Newcastle
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

As a close relative of the genus Senecio (Groundsel) the flowers are held in a compound cluster surounded by bracts called a capitula (capitulum).

Unlike most daisies, the outer florets are not enlarged to form "petals" (the white outer ones in a typical Daisy) round the edge, and only the tubular central florets exist (the yellow centre).

On Jul 21, 2003, witchiepooc wrote:

I recieved a cutting of this plant from a friend. I put it into a hanging basket and put it outside. It has tripled in size and it is now covered with flower buds over the entire plant. Growing up my mother always had them growing in hanging pots but I have NEVER seen them get flower buds let alone bloom. I can't wait to see the flowers.

On Jul 4, 2003, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant does well in a hanging basket, but will root along the ground in central Florida. The leaves are green covered with soft purple hairs. Pinching helps to keep runners under control. It will bloom in fairly low light, but is grown primarily for the foliage. The orange blossoms don't seem to blend with the purple foliage.

On Mar 28, 2002, karencordova wrote:

This Malaysian native plant does well with a thorough watering once the soil has dried out. Its purple tint is maintained with bright ambiant light and will flower under healthy conditions. The flowers are small, orange and are rather pungent. The purple passion plant will put out two kinds of foliage from one plant: a bushy settled type and a creeping searching type. Both types do well if propagated by placing cutting in water.