Chinese Forget-Me-Not
Cynoglossum amabile

Family: Boraginaceae
Genus: Cynoglossum (SIGH-no-gloss-um) (Info)
Species: amabile (a-MAH-bih-lee) (Info)

Not Applicable

Medium Blue

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Auburn, Alabama

Burke, Virginia

Tacoma, Washington

negative

On Jun 24, 2013, Dragynphyre from Raritan, NJ wrote:

The bees love it, which is a good thing because it's starting to crowd out other wildflowers in the bed. I will probably end up deadheading a good number before they go to seed in an attempt to control the numbers for next year. I like them, but not at the expense of more native species. The burr-like seeds stuck to everything I wore when I was cleaning out the bed last year.

On Mar 22, 2013, artsymom from Winston-Salem, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I would not plant this one again. It came in a wildflower mix (I believe from American Meadows), and while pretty, it has become very invasive in my part shade location, squeezing out everything else. When it goes to seed it turns into a mess because the seeds are sticky and easily stick to anything that passes by, including my pets, kids, etc., and the seeds are very hard to remove from clothing and fur!

On Aug 12, 2012, LMB_o from Vancouver

This flower is easy to grow. I direct sowed it in my balcony flowerbox in the spring. The tiny flowers are a beautiful shade of blue. And this was the best surprise of all: If you like to assist the world's dwindling bee population, bees of all varieties LOVE these flowers. From sun-up to sundown, there's always at least one or two bees swaying on the tiny flowers. And they're all shapes, sizes and colouring (the bees that is...)

On Jan 7, 2010, kqcrna from Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Pretty, dainty little flowers which wintersow well.

Karen

On Feb 1, 2007, lottadata from Turners Falls, MA wrote:

We have a rock outcropping behind our house with very thin soil which has been a challenge to landscape. It gets a bit more than part sun. It is so steep that soil washes away. My husband brought home some seeds for this plant from Home Depot last spring and threw them on the outcropping without telling me.

We ended up with many beautiful drifts of bright blue flowers that grew in little soil pockets and flowered from August through October. They looked entirely natural in the rocky setting. They did eventually turn into tiny burrs which was not a problem where they were growing as it is almost horizontal!

I'm curious to see what we'll get this year. Probably not much as the seeds would have gone down the rock face.

A great plant for a rocky c... read more

On Feb 5, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

These are very pretty, and will self-seed themselves freely. It wouldn't have been a problem, but for the fact that the seeds are like "beggar's lice" that stick to pants, socks, shoestrings . . . anything they can get a hold of. I got rid of the plant for that reason.

On Jul 23, 2005, Sheila_FW from Fort Worth, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I was amazed at the brilliance of the tiny blue flowers; you can see them from 30 foot away. The group of four seeds (visable in the picture I posted) are a clingy and the plant makes loads of them to share.

On Apr 27, 2004, angelam from melbourne
Australia wrote:

I admired this plant in a friend's garden. She pulled 3 out wrapped them in wet paper towel and gave them to me. All 3 survived, and flowered for many months. The colour is lovely. The seeds are hooked and even harder to disentangle than ordinary forget-me-nots. I let them self seed but keep them away from pets areas. They'll require cutting to get them out of fur.

On Mar 16, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

A profusion of tiny, azure-blue flowers cover the plant in spring. Will self-seed readily if not deadheaded. Plant in average, well-drained garden soil; provide adequate moisture. Successive plantings will ensure season-long color.

Should not be confused with the perennial or biennial Myosotis sylvatica, (also commonly called Forget-Me-Not)