Mexican Oregano, Rosemary Mint
Poliomintha longiflora

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Poliomintha (po-lee-oh-MIN-tha) (Info)
Species: longiflora (lon-jee-FLO-ruh) (Info)

Herbs

Montclair, California

Palm Springs, California

Inverness, Florida

Tampa, Florida

Athens, Georgia (2 reports)

Vacherie, Louisiana

Zachary, Louisiana

Carlsbad, New Mexico

Rodeo, New Mexico

Ensenada, Puerto Rico

Mayaguez, Puerto Rico

Alice, Texas

Arlington, Texas (2 reports)

Austin, Texas (3 reports)

Bulverde, Texas

Rockport, Texas

Rowlett, Texas

Spring Branch, Texas

On Oct 16, 2013, Fires_in_motion from Vacherie, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Nice little plant; glad I bought it on a whim this summer. Likes dry to medium soil, but can take overwatering with zero problem, which is important where I live. Incredibly intense / spicy leaf aroma and elegant flowers. Semi-trailing habit makes it ideal for containers.

On Nov 17, 2011, gonetopottoo from Rockport, TX wrote:

Just moved to Texas from Carlsbad, NM where my Mexican Oregano bloomed summer after summer. It is zone 7a and most winters didn't even lose all its leaves. A nonstop bloomer and great all around plant. I am adding some into my new landscape in Rockport, TX

On Mar 23, 2011, jrnuckels from Ponder, TX wrote:

I am curious as to why this plant is rated only for zone 8b-10. I live in zone 7b near Denton, Texas and this plant has repeatedly survived the last 4 to 5 winters - did not even die back to the ground. The last two winters have gotten down to at least 10 degrees and yet it is still trucking! Has anyone else had the same experience? I have 3 plants and they have all survived.

On Jan 10, 2010, mamahlann from Midland, TX wrote:

I live in Midland, Texas.
I bought a 4" plant this past spring (2009) at Round Rock, Tx. It now fills a deep 10" container to over-flowing. I kept it pretty wet, occasionally letting it dry out a little, (Not always on purpose!), and it bloomed like crazy all summer on my front porch, and still has some green and blooms even after several freezes. I couldn't be happier with it. Hope to add more next spring, with some planted in the ground.

On Sep 3, 2009, marasri from Dripping Springs, TX wrote:

I can't say enough about this plant. We are suffering an " Exceptional" historic gruesome drought, and this plant is planted on un amended alkaline limestone rubble on a slant under a cedar tree and received water ONCE this summer chock full of 67 100+ degrees days. It has continued to bloom and thrive nonstop. I have a whole bunch more growing from cuttings waiting for a cool down to flood that difficult area with gorgious bloom. We are now at 96 and she is going to town even more. I run my hand over the branches and pull the spent flowers off. I hear from another forum that its proper name is Poliomintha bustamenta , or something like that. There is a naming controversy and the real P. longiflora is red. I WANT THAT ONE TOO!!!!! So if anyone out there has this Mexican beauty, think o... read more

On Jul 6, 2008, jovifriend from Yountville, CA wrote:

purchased from http://www.morningsunherbfarm.com at a farmer's market in California.

On Apr 28, 2006, RonniePitman wrote:

It' sprawling and leggy, but this plant will also grow, and bloom, in dappled shade.

On May 20, 2005, prometeo21 from Mayaguez, PR (Zone 11) wrote:

I live in Puerto Rico(small island in the Caribbean) and I bough this plant from an online seller in CA. The plant came in really bad shape but in just three monts I made two cuttings that are now two small plants and the original one is in full bloom. Flowers start as white color and change to a purple/lavander color as they mature. Needs full sun and average water needs. Mine resists lots of water from rains but needs a good drainage. A really good plant for the tropics!

On Oct 10, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, Tx.
Delicate in fragility and bloom color, the Mexican oregano provides color in the garden from the first part of the summer into October. The leaves are aromatic and the flowers attract lots of bees, butterflies and humingbirds. The leaves can be used in place of oregano and the flowers can be steeped in teas. It is deer resistant.