PlantFiles: Surinam Powderpuff, Suriname Powderpuff, Pink Powder Puff, Balăo-chinęs
Calliandra surinamensis

Family: Mimosaceae
Genus: Calliandra (kal-ee-AN-druh) (Info)
Species: surinamensis (sur-ih-nam-EN-sis) (Info)

USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 °C (30 °F)
USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F)
USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Thumbnail #6 of Calliandra surinamensis by PalmFreak

By artcons
Thumbnail #7 of Calliandra surinamensis by artcons

Neutral Gilliebg On May 20, 2010, Gilliebg from Ocala, FL wrote:

I am posting this as neutral, as I do not have one in my garden. However it grows like a weed in Ocala Fl, loves neglected and overgrown land or empty plots wooded in semi-developed sandy neighborhoods. The ones that appear in gardens, and have been pruned are lovely; the wild ones grow to at least 15 ft, and spread ove a huge area if left alone. They look lovely at this time of year, (May).

Positive bohnnco On Sep 19, 2009, bohnnco from Houston, TX wrote:

I agree that this calliandra is not as well knomn. I am 99% this is the massive calliandra planted by my pool. It too grew to about 8' wide and is easily 10' tall and I have to keep it in check. And it blooms only in Feb, March unlike the smaller calliandra that bloom all summer. It is actually a very welcome splash of color in mid-winter. Too bad we don't have as many butterfly around that time of year to enjoy. Does great here inside the loop of Houston. Just give this one lots of room.

Positive Fbeth On Jun 6, 2006, Fbeth from Pearland, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I've had my plant for 2 full years now and even though I'm rating my experience as 'positive' I must say it's more 'neutral-to-positive' (!) because I'm confused by this plant. There seems to be only rare tidbits of information so I don't know what to expect from it. The tag that came with it said to expect blooms during the summer, it likes hot, humid climate and grows best in Florida.

I live just 12 miles south of downtown Houston, Texas. This plant grew to be 8' (that's feet) tall in the first year! It wants to take over my corner flowerbed by spreading at least 8' (that's feet) wide...at least, so I have to keep pruning it all summer long. It is placed near a 6' cedar fence and is allowed all the height it wants. The foliage is dark green and very thick. It never blooms during our hot, very humid summers or the fall. During the coolest months we have - that's January thru March this Pink Powder Puff is loaded with buds and blooms in February and March! Beautiful dark pink blooms all day every day for at least 6 - 8 weeks. The wind can be blowing and the temperature can drop to the mid/low 30's (that's c-o-l-d for us) and this shrub or tree (whatever it is) just keeps on blooming like it's in the tropics!

I did notice this year there were a very few bean pods on it after it finished blooming. Last year there were none. This year a few. Maybe as it matures there will be more. The plant was only about 3' tall when I purchased it so I'm assuming it is probably about 2 1/2 years old.

I find it to be very hardy. Blooms in cold (34-45+ degrees), dry or wet weather. Thrives in full, hot, south Texas sunshine. Appears to be disease resistant. Remains green year round. Does not require large amounts of water; however, my yard/ plants are routinely watered. I have not found the blooms to be particularly fragrant. The blooms are very similar to the Mimosa blossoms except I find they are fuller and make more of a ball. The branches grow from the trunk all the way at the bottom and even if cut off will grow back again. (Does this make it a shrub rather than a tree?)

Encinitas, California