Surinam Powderpuff, Suriname Powderpuff, Pink Powder Puff, Bal„o-chinÍs
Calliandra surinamensis

Family: Mimosaceae
Genus: Calliandra (kal-ee-AN-druh) (Info)
Species: surinamensis (sur-ih-nam-EN-sis) (Info)

USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 įC (30 įF)

USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 įC (35 įF)

USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 įC (40 įF)

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

West Palm Beach, Florida

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Pearland, Texas

On Jan 23, 2015, Susi_So_Callif from Vista, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I've grown this plant in zone 10 So. California for about 15 years in 2 locations. FABULOUS plant - blooms nearly every day of the year, new foliage is a lovely bronze, flower buds look like raspberries. In all this time I've only once had a seedling show up, so if you keep it in a relatively dry garden it should not be the least bit invasive.

On May 20, 2010, Gilliebg from Ocala, FL wrote:

I am posting this as neutral, as I do not have one in my garden. However it grows like a weed in Ocala Fl, loves neglected and overgrown land or empty plots wooded in semi-developed sandy neighborhoods. The ones that appear in gardens, and have been pruned are lovely; the wild ones grow to at least 15 ft, and spread ove a huge area if left alone. They look lovely at this time of year, (May).

On Sep 19, 2009, bohnnco from Houston, TX wrote:

I agree that this calliandra is not as well knomn. I am 99% this is the massive calliandra planted by my pool. It too grew to about 8' wide and is easily 10' tall and I have to keep it in check. And it blooms only in Feb, March unlike the smaller calliandra that bloom all summer. It is actually a very welcome splash of color in mid-winter. Too bad we don't have as many butterfly around that time of year to enjoy. Does great here inside the loop of Houston. Just give this one lots of room.

On Jun 6, 2006, Fbeth from Pearland, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I've had my plant for 2 full years now and even though I'm rating my experience as 'positive' I must say it's more 'neutral-to-positive' (!) because I'm confused by this plant. There seems to be only rare tidbits of information so I don't know what to expect from it. The tag that came with it said to expect blooms during the summer, it likes hot, humid climate and grows best in Florida.

I live just 12 miles south of downtown Houston, Texas. This plant grew to be 8' (that's feet) tall in the first year! It wants to take over my corner flowerbed by spreading at least 8' (that's feet) wide...at least, so I have to keep pruning it all summer long. It is placed near a 6' cedar fence and is allowed all the height it wants. The foliage is dark green and very thick. It never b... read more