PlantFiles: Eastern Coneflower, Eastern Purple Coneflower
Echinacea purpurea

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Echinacea (ek-in-AY-shee-a) (Info)
Species: purpurea (pur-PUR-ee-uh) (Info)

Synonym:Brauneria purpurea

Magenta (Pink-Purple)
Violet/Lavender
Purple

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season
This plant is resistant to deer

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse
From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

By Jeff_Beck

Thumbnail #6 of Echinacea purpurea by poppysue

By SMSpear1
Thumbnail #7 of Echinacea purpurea by SMSpear1

Positive coriaceous On Jun 14, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Tough, easy, adaptable, and long-blooming, this is a great garden plant. The flowers are butterfly magnets, and they make good cut flowers, in white, shades of pink, or green. Flower arrangers sometimes remove the petals and use the orangey-brown cone.

This is a short-lived, clump-forming perennial that persists in the garden through self-sowing. It isn't weedy or aggressive in its self-sowing, and extra plants are easily removed. Individual plants typically live 3-5 years, and are often replaced by their offspring unnoticed. Good drainage is essential.

The petals of the species usually droop, giving the flower a shape like a badminton shuttlecock. If you don't like the droopy look, 'Magnus' holds its petals out flat like a daisy and both self-sows and comes true from seed. The Perennial Plant Association named 'Magnus' the 1998 Perennial Plant of the Year.

Tap-rooted (and drought-tolerant once established), purple coneflowers can be moved in earliest spring before they develop much top growth. They don't survive attempts to transplant or divide them later in the season or in fall.

Though the flowers are long-lasting, the petal color tends to fade quickly after fertilization. Deadheading isn't necessary, but it can generate more flowers. Leave some to go to seed late in the season. Goldfinches and chickadees love the seeds.

Innumerable hybrids with E. paradoxa have been released in the last decade. They come in a great variety of exciting new colors and habits, and some--unlike E. purpurea---have fragrance. But so far most of them are sterile and as short-lived and as susceptible to aster yellows as the parent species. Hybrids with E. tenneseensis ancestry may be longer-lived and may be the key to developing longer-lived paradoxa hybrids.

Aster yellows is a highly contagious virus-like disease that's quickly spread by sucking insects. Plants showing symptoms should be dug out and destroyed (not composted) as soon as symptoms are noticed. The production of malformed flowers with petals sticking out of the cone is the symptom most easily noticed.

Positive kmm44 On Apr 22, 2014, kmm44 from Dayton, OH wrote:

I absolutely love this plant. I think my originals were given to me by my son. I had decided to quit doing the same boring annuals every year and branch out into perennials and didn't know where to start. He had taken botany as part of his biology degree studies and was gung ho on helping me. He was living with his brother an hour from here and had planted several flower beds in his yard. He brought me starts of countless plants and showed me how to arrange them by height and color. My coneflowers are prolific, but I don't consider them invasive--they are too beautiful!. They do have a tendency to pop up in other beds, but I just leave them. I had some in another bed and dug them up to give my sister-in-law and next thing I knew, they all grew back from whatever root bits were left, so I let them be and they were happy, lol.
I pot up starts every year for my garden club's plant sale in May and they sell like the proverbial hotcakes.
It's hard for me to understand when people say they can't grow coneflowers. One of my garden club friends swears she can't grow them at all, even the ones I gave her. Yet mine spread like ground cover in some beds here at home in Dayton and at the lake, an hour N. I love purple cones with black-eyed susans and other yellow flowers--my favorite color combination.

Positive Rickwebb On Feb 6, 2014, Rickwebb from Downingtown, PA wrote:

One of my very favorite perennials that is easy, reliable, and does not need staking. This native plant is commonly sold at most garden centers in the Midwest and East USA. It can experience Aster Yellows disease, a mycoplasma spread by leafhoppers, that disfigures the flowers and upper leaves. Cut way below the infection and burn the diseased part. This plant does self sow a lot. I have one patch that appeared by itself about 20 feet from the closest ones I planted years earlier. It is easy to dig up and divide to propagate more, besides seeding. It blooms a long time, usually about 6 weeks for me in late June to early August.

Positive plant_it On Jun 23, 2013, plant_it from Valparaiso, IN wrote:

A butterfly magnet! This is one of the Top 3 nectar-bearing food plants for butterflies. (The other two are butterfly weed & New England aster). Butterfly visitors include Monarchs, Fritillaries, Painted Ladies, Swallowtails, Sulfurs, and Whites.

The caterpillars of the butterfly Chlosyne nycteis (Silvery Checkerspot) feed on the foliage, while the caterpillars of several moths feed on the flowerheads. These latter species include Chlorochlamys chloroleucaria (Blackberry Looper), Eupithecia miserulata (Common Eupithecia), Synchlora aerata (Wavy-Lined Emerald), and Homoeosoma electella (Sunflower Moth).

A small songbird, the Eastern Goldfinch, eats the seeds during the summer and early fall.

If you can grow this plant, nature will reward you many times over.

Positive debles On Apr 23, 2013, debles from Tulsa, OK wrote:

One of my all-time favorite plants. The area where I had previously grown it has been redone and I lost me ever-growing cluster of plants, so I'm starting over in another area.

In our hot, often dry climate, it thrives with little to no care, blooms for a long time, pleases the butterflies and birds and is a valuable source of medicine. What's not to love?

Neutral MsMuddyToes On Jun 7, 2012, MsMuddyToes from Kansas City, MO wrote:

I have several different cultivars in my garden. My first plants did not do so well. I moved them, even one that looked like it was dying every year. A tree had made the "sunny" only partial shade. Once in the sun, it grew well. I obtained another native (for this area) cultivar, but the gal couldn't remember the exact name. I finally have a plant the spreads if I allow it to. I use tomato cages to hold it up as it gets very tall. We love it, but it does not like to be crowded by other plants and really windy storms will knock it over if not supported.

Positive jazzy1okc On Apr 22, 2011, jazzy1okc from Oklahoma City, OK wrote:

This plant is even more reliable than Black Eyed Susans in my OKC zone 7a yard. Withstands cold, humidity, heat, and drought well. It's only enemies seem to be a leafeating larvae that sometimes appears. But they bounce back well if that happens and I can catch the larvae before they decimate the plant completely.
They do self seed occasionally but I've had good luck transplanting the babies in early spring. I experimented with the dwarf varieties but prefer the older, taller varieties as they seem less likely to mutate and produce weirdly contorted flower heads.

Positive califaloha On Apr 18, 2011, califaloha from San Rafael, CA wrote:

I love Echinacea. Even the seedheads are pretty. My only problem are the squirrels love to dig them out of the pots on my deck and eat them. Little buggers. I cover my pots that contain tasty things they like with chicken wire until they are far enough along that the rodents leave them alone.

Positive Clary On Jul 13, 2010, Clary from Lewisburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

These smell wonderful, tolerate heat and drought, survive rain and humidity, rebound from difficult winters, maintain a full clump of green foliage for the entire season, bloom for months, attract butterflies, feed the goldfinches, and multiply every year. They're a native plant and have a lovely bright color too.

Positive HummingbirdDude On Dec 12, 2009, HummingbirdDude from Whitehall, PA wrote:

Nice plant, easy to grow. Butterflies, bees, and birds like this plant. Leave the stalks up after blooming so that the birds can eat the seeds. I have seen goldfinches eat the seeds from these plants.

Neutral mjsponies On Nov 11, 2008, mjsponies from DeLand/Deleon Springs, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I bought 3 Purple Coneflowers from Lowe's about 6 weeks ago. Planted them where they get full sun. They aren't doing ANYTHING. Haven't died, haven't grown. Mayyyyybeee 1 or 2 tiny little new leaves. Tested the soil and ph is right at 7...
And I really wanted these for the birds.

Positive NDFarmgirl On Aug 7, 2008, NDFarmgirl from Page, ND wrote:

This has been my favorite for years...this year, however, I had my first taste of the dreaded yellow aster disease caused by leaf hoppers. I have literally had to dig up, at last count, 18 plants! But, I will still keep growing these.

Positive dwdessauer On May 5, 2008, dwdessauer from Los Alamos, NM wrote:

Grows well in high altitude, dry New Mexico. Great fresh cut flowers for vases. Cut off long seed heads for dry flower arrangement. I have the style of can opener that takes off the entire can top (no sharp edges.) Collected seeds and placed in used clean cans. Taped down the top, printed a label "Vivian's Drought Tolerant Flower Seeds." Made unique Christmas gifts and party favors. Seeds are a favorite of local birds.

Positive jestelleoan On Feb 18, 2008, jestelleoan from Tyler, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a wonderful work horse plant. Does well in full sun and shade. All most bug free but birds love the seed. My yard is mostly shade and if I can get it a little sun it will grow. Their are so many colors now and doubles that you can find a good color for your garden.

Positive creekwalker On Oct 27, 2007, creekwalker from Benton County, MO (Zone 5a) wrote:

Before finding out that drinking green tea daily wards off colds, I would make a vodka tincture of this plant, a couple of dropperfuls taken at the first sign of a cold would almost always make it go away.

I never used the roots, even though most believe that they are where the strongest concentration of good things are, and just used the stems, leaves and flowers. It was plenty good and far better than any commercial preparation.

I love the plant and yes, it does self seed, but I never had any trouble with it being invasive.

Neutral ettasplace On Sep 24, 2007, ettasplace from Elizabethton, TN wrote:

I love the flower, but mine have been planted for 3 years and have never looked healthy. Also, they don't seem to reproduce like some have complained about.

Positive terri_in_PA On Aug 9, 2006, terri_in_PA from Emmaus, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant self sows freely, draws the bees and butterflies and even a hummingbird or 2. I leave the seed heads on the plants through out winter for the goldfinches and chickadees, who seem to enjoy them.
I like this plant, very depenable even in dought situations.

Positive kathy1955 On Aug 6, 2006, kathy1955 from Mchenry, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

Very pretty, draws butterflies, and birds, takes the heat and clay soil I have. When I first started my garden a lady gave me a couple of clumps of these purple coneflowers. I couldnt believe she was giving them away.She did warn me about the fact that they spread like weeds.(I really didnt believe her). Those original 2 clumps turned out to be about 50 mature plants.This plant looks good paired with russian sage and black eyed susans. This is a great starter plant , when you are on a budget. It will fill up your garden and look good untill you can afford different varieties of plants and then you can pass some of them on to someone else. They can be a bit invasive, but you just have to learn to pull out the young ones like weeks if you cant find someone to take them off your hands.

Neutral billyporter On Mar 9, 2006, billyporter from Nichols, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I like purple coneflower, but in the hot Iowa sun the color fades. I ordered Ruby Star and Vintage wine last year and was happy with them. Especially Vintage Wine, beautiful color.

Positive SW_gardener On Mar 8, 2006, SW_gardener from (Zone 6a) wrote:

I've found this plant to grow very well in sun or part shade even in the hard & dry clay soil we have in some of our gardens... Which makes it good cause its hard to find a good flowering plant to grow well in dry clay soil in part shade. It does self seed but not enough to make it a weed for me :) All in all a great plant!

Positive Gabrielle On Jan 25, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

A very hardy plant with pretty flowers. The birds love it; I don't deadhead it much in order to leave food for them. June - September bloom in my garden.

Positive magik8it On Jan 10, 2006, magik8it from Nags Head, NC wrote:

Grows itself. I have a sandy soil occasional feeding and watering and I don't mess with them and they just come back thicker every year.

Neutral carrielamont On Nov 5, 2005, carrielamont from Bedford, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Very resistant to drought, I personally dislike the droopy petals, but it's an Old Faithful in our garden!

Positive Gindee77 On Jun 23, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a very easy plant to grow. It adds an interesting element to the garden.

Positive ahjgardener On Jun 3, 2005, ahjgardener from Chicago, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is among my favorite perennials for the following reasons:
The foliage is interesting and bold.
The flowers are unique - I love the droopy petals!!
The centers look awesome in the winter when there is snow covering just the tips.

Yes, it does tend to grow and fill space, but I think its merits sell the smaller plants to friends and it perennial swaps.

Neutral janders On Apr 2, 2005, janders from Rockwall, TX wrote:

Very low water needs. Turns black when rainfall is abundant, though it does come back. Both years I've only gotten four or five flowers. No problems at all with it being invasive. Can kill it with love, put it somewhere where you won't 'accidentally' water it!

Neutral NanaSue000 On Mar 10, 2005, NanaSue000 from St. Augustine, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I do love this flower, it can take the hot Florida summer sun unlike many things we try to grow here. But alas, much like black-eyed-susans, they are prone to fungus in our area. The humidity here tends to kill off otherwise heat-hardy plants, except for gaillardia of course. Fortunately, echinacea reseeds, so even while some of my flowers have to be pulled out if it's been especially rainy or humid, there are always new ones on the way.

Positive PurplePansies On Aug 4, 2004, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

Always beautiful..... always easy...... the new or fairly new must for the garden...... will be a classic one day like roses...... well maybe not like roses but close..... newer cultivars coming out every day...... while many new cultivars are bred to be brighter or different colors....... the white I can appreciate....... Most of the colors I find unimpressive...... also they're bred for ray like blooms when I like the drooping blooms....... this plant grows very well in partial shade.......not invasive....... Good for the birds and bees :) !!!!! ........ Personally I'll always like the wilder form original best...... the paler purple and the droopy blossoms...... with all the new cultivars out there.......I advise all those to keep theres someday they may be something of a novelty........

Neutral CaptMicha On Jul 14, 2004, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

My purple coneflowers started from one nursery bought plant and spread rapidly in my butterfly garden which has very fertile soil and full sun. It seems to be very happy and blooms over a long length of time, although the color was never very rich to begin with and the plant probably never reached it's full potenial because the petals are always detroyed by japanese beetles... but the foliage remains untouched.

Mostly smaller butterflies are drawn to this plant and of course bees and other small pollinaters along with beetles. Birds LOVE the seeds and I often can't find a single one left on the plant.

Overall, this plant is great as a nectar source, landscape plant, and seed for birds.

Positive melody On May 3, 2004, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Easy and carefree, this plant is popular with butterflies and birds. I enjoy them so much in my garden. They do reseed with abandon, but as I have them in a 'wildflower' section, this only adds to their charm. Plus, there are always seedlings to give away.

Positive gregfaithemily On Jan 26, 2004, gregfaithemily from Seymour, IN wrote:

I started with 3 plants about 4 years ago. It has seeded itself and now I have over 20 strong clumps that I have transplated to other locations in the garden.

Positive mocloa On Jul 20, 2003, mocloa from Hendersonville, TN wrote:

I have enjoyed this plant for several years now. It comes back stronger and stronger every year. I do have to remove small plants each year as it tends to take over the island that I have it planted on. However, I find that the small plants make great gifts to share with others.

Positive Bricca On Jul 11, 2003, Bricca from Sugar Grove, NC wrote:

This lovely plant is truly gorgeous in combination with the yellow coneflower. Very hardy, does fine with just rain water, grows well in rocky soil & hillside. Beautiful in a vase. Bloom lasts forever! Have had no problem with it being invasive.

Positive Crimson On Feb 2, 2003, Crimson from Clarksville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

This really attracts the butterfly, more than any other flower in my garden... makes a interesting "short" (3 ft) hedge when planted in a row against a fence. They totally hid the fence with all the flowers.

Positive Lizziewriter On Jul 31, 2002, Lizziewriter from Holmes, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

Purple coneflower, as well as white, grows well in the burning hot dry area next to our driveway and didn't mind the snow abuse either. (semi-upstate New York, in a cold cleft of Stormville Mtn.) I am actually trying to find out whether the white is echinacea herb also, as I have more white than purple and put the leaves in my tea. It is not invasive (we have a problem though with sweet woodruff!) and flowers beautifully. Great for the tricky hotspots. Oh, and the deer seem to leave it alone, which is another plus for us!

Positive Abutilon On Jul 26, 2002, Abutilon from Coal Center, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Blooms well and long late spring through fall. Very attractive to butterflies and beneficials. Easy to grow. Multiplies well.

Negative RockyMike On Jun 27, 2002, RockyMike from Wilmington, DE (Zone 7a) wrote:

I like the Purple Coneflower but am giving up on keeping it because every year the groundhogs eat it and make a mess of it. It will never be invasive in my neighborhood!

Positive cmincy On Jun 26, 2002, cmincy wrote:

Wonderful plant. Big daisy like blooms. Bees, birds, butterflies all love this plant as I do. In my garden I leave the stems up all winter for winter interest and the birds eat the seeds. My sisters and I have never had a problem with it being invasive.

Negative lupinelover On May 6, 2002, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Plant grows well in full shade, fewer flowers, but color does not fade as quickly.

Birds are attracted to seed-heads in winter.

Seed heads left on plant will very quickly scatter, making this an invasive pest plant.

Neutral lantana On Jan 4, 2001, lantana from (Zone 7a) wrote:

Grows in Heat Zones 12-1.

Neutral jody On Nov 6, 2000, jody from MD &, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Clump-forming, daisy like flowers in rosy purple, shades of pink and white. Grows to about 4' high with a spread of 1' to 2'. Centers are cone shaped and brown to orange brown. Good cut flower. Best cultivated in sun. Deadhead to encourage more flowering. Propagate by seed, cuttings or division. (They do not like to be disturbed.)

Alabaster, Alabama
Pensacola, Florida
Rockledge, Florida
Tallahassee, Florida
Tampa, Florida
Trenton, Florida (2 reports)
Vero Beach, Florida
Winterville, Georgia
Hayden, Idaho
Rigby, Idaho
Edwardsville, Illinois
Glen Ellyn, Illinois (2 reports)
Hampton, Illinois
Hinsdale, Illinois
Itasca, Illinois
Mchenry, Illinois
Mt Zion, Illinois
Peoria, Illinois
Washington, Illinois
Evansville, Indiana (2 reports)
Georgetown, Indiana
Sioux City, Iowa
Kansas City, Kansas
Lansing, Kansas
Princeton, Kansas
Shawnee Mission, Kansas (2 reports)
Spring Hill, Kansas
Ballwin, Missouri
Bates City, Missouri
Belton, Missouri
Cole Camp, Missouri
Kansas City, Missouri (2 reports)
Piedmont, Missouri
Republic, Missouri
Saint Louis, Missouri
Sedalia, Missouri
Springfield, Missouri (2 reports)
Imperial, Nebraska
Manchester, New Hampshire
Munsonville, New Hampshire
Collingswood, New Jersey
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Albuquerque, New Mexico (2 reports)
Los Alamos, New Mexico
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Roswell, New Mexico
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Alden, New York
Binghamton, New York
Buffalo, New York (3 reports)
Cambridge, New York
West Kill, New York
Yonkers, New York
Asheville, North Carolina
Beaufort, North Carolina
Charlotte, North Carolina (2 reports)
Fuquay Varina, North Carolina
Saint Marys, Ohio
Warren, Ohio
Bray, Oklahoma
Jay, Oklahoma
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (2 reports)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Hendersonville, Tennessee
Knoxville, Tennessee
Maryville, Tennessee
Memphis, Tennessee
Murfreesboro, Tennessee (2 reports)
Nashville, Tennessee
Thompsons Station, Tennessee
Abilene, Texas (2 reports)
Alice, Texas
Allen, Texas
Arlington, Texas
Austin, Texas (3 reports)
Belton, Texas
Bulverde, Texas
Coppell, Texas (2 reports)
Crawford, Texas
Desoto, Texas
Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)
Garland, Texas
Lubbock, Texas
Lufkin, Texas
New Caney, Texas
Pearland, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (3 reports)
Springtown, Texas
Jonesville, Virginia
Leesburg, Virginia
Lovettsville, Virginia
Mc Lean, Virginia
Roanoke, Virginia (2 reports)
Springfield, Virginia
Charleston, West Virginia
Crivitz, Wisconsin
Delavan, Wisconsin
Ellsworth, Wisconsin
Milwaukee, Wisconsin (3 reports)
Pewaukee, Wisconsin