PlantFiles: Oriental Spruce
Picea orientalis 'Skylands'

Family: Pinaceae (py-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Picea (PY-see-uh) (Info)
Species: orientalis (or-ee-en-TAY-liss) (Info)
Cultivar: Skylands
Additional cultivar information: (aka Aurea Compacta)

Conifers

Thumbnail #5 of Picea orientalis by kniphofia

Thumbnail #6 of Picea orientalis by kniphofia

Thumbnail #7 of Picea orientalis by kniphofia

Positive Clary On Apr 9, 2012, Clary from Lewisburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This tree was presented to me by a landscaper as a substitute for another tree that I had requested, and I've become very attached to it! The shape and color seemed unappealing at first, but in the landscape it provides just enough of a glow to catch the eye in all four seasons. Additionally, the shape of the tree is narrow and open, which is an interesting contrast to the typical conifer.

I saw a few of these in an arboretum and they were suffering due to intense heat and light; mine is in a woodland garden that is partially shaded, the soil is high in humus and never dries out entirely, and it is sheltered from wind. For a conifer, it's growing rapidly, and I rarely fertilize.

Positive labslover On Jun 4, 2008, labslover from Galena, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have been nursing mine along for 2 years now. I did raise it up this past fall thinking that it was too wet in my clay soil. Also protected it from the winter wind (it's 4' tall). This spring it looks great! I love this pine as a specimen plant.

Positive tinyrubies On Jan 8, 2007, tinyrubies from Lebanon, OR wrote:

Another interesting conifer for the dreary, rainy winter Oregon landscape. I can see this from my living room window and it practically glows with it's yellow accents. Planted on a slope in clay soil, it seems to be doing well in zone 8.

Positive conifers On Mar 9, 2006, conifers from Rock Island, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

This Intermediate to Large-Growing selection grows anywhere from 6-12 inches as a 10 year specimen, and begins growing 12 inches plus per year soon thereafter. When young, this cultivar needs partial sun or dappled light. It's bright red cones in early Spring and it's contrasting yellow over dark green foliage give this plant outstanding characteristics. When grafted, it will form a plant as pictured.

Louisville, Kentucky