Sapphire Salvia, Sinaloa Sage

Salvia sinaloensis

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Salvia (SAL-vee-uh) (Info)
Species: sinaloensis (see-nah-loh-EN-sis) (Info)
» View all varieties of Salvias

Medium Blue

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Tucson, Arizona

Hebron, Kentucky

Bossier City, Louisiana

Okatie, South Carolina

Allen, Texas

Austin, Texas (3 reports)

Bulverde, Texas

Elgin, Texas

Haltom City, Texas

New Braunfels, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)

Spring, Texas

Tyler, Texas

On Jul 13, 2011, kjoseph from Oakland, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I bought 2 Salvia sinaloensis plants in 2007 & put them each in two large containers. They bloomed beautifully all summer & fall the first year, but haven't bloomed since. The last two years they got only part sun so I switched them back to full sun this year, but still no blue flowers! They both look very healthy & are full size (2x3). They only thing I haven't tried is repotting.

On Aug 5, 2007, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

Gorgeous blue flowers! First time growing it and I love it!

This is an annual for me in zone 6a, but I'd love to have it blooming each year by buying new plants!

On Apr 1, 2007, Wifeygirl from (Caitlin) Fresno, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I love this plant! While I noticed most comments here refer to shade, this salvia has thrived admirably in my bed which takes the brunt of full California sun! When it's not blooming, I still love the foliage - the top leaves turn a pretty purple, the lower leaves a nice green. It's a great addition to my garden.

I should also mention that, though it is a perennial, it withstood a weekend of frost here and is still growing admirably - it didn't die back for me.

On Apr 27, 2006, ceejaytown from The Woodlands, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love the electric blue against the foliage color. Striking, even though the flowers are small. Mine comes back each year. Easy to propagate - just stick a cutting in the ground. Very pretty in combination with Blue Daze. I question the last photo in this file, though. I don't think it is sinaloensis. Both the flowers and the foliage are different. Perhaps Salvia farinacea - mealy cup sage?

On Jul 5, 2005, minphilic from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have to say that this plant is pretty resilient. It was close to its death by the time I got it into the ground this past spring, but now after a few months of rehabilitation its foliage is looking perfect. It is in a bed with mid afternoon shade and is an accent for my growing rosemary. I'm hoping for a second bloom!

On Oct 7, 2003, Kaufmann from GOD's Green Earth
United States (Zone 8b) wrote:

I love this plant -- I have four growing under the shade of a large Live Oak tree that have bloomed all Summer long.

On Aug 15, 2003, sailinshoes from Independence, KS wrote:

If well mulched this plant will tolerate southern Kansas zone 5/6 winters.

On Aug 14, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have Sapphire Carpet planted in containers because I have a lot of shade in my yard and I need to move the containers as the sun marches toward the north in the summer and then back to a more southerly direction in the late summer and fall. This allows the plants to always receive morning sun and afternoon filtered shade. Without enough sun, the plants do not exhibit the intense blue flowers nor the beautiful multi-colored foiage. In just filtered shade, they become scraggly. Be sure to plant them in well drained soil and let the soil dry out between waterings.

On Aug 3, 2003, gailw from Augusta, GA wrote:

This plants thrives in Augusta. It is better than 3' tall, does best in a group of two of three. Here it is perrenial. The hummingbirds are wild about it. Color is nice and cool for our hot summers.

On Jan 21, 2003, Lavanda from Mcallen, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Hummingbirds love this plant!

On May 3, 2002, loisbeth wrote:

Nice dwarf mounding species with unusual burgundy tinged leaves and intense purple-blue flowers. Performs for us in Texas best with late afternoon shade.

On Mar 12, 2002, Floridian from Lutz, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Sapphire Salvia originates in the Mexican province of Sinaloa and has a low, spreading habit to about 12" high. It has upright flowering stems with intense blue flowers. It flowers early, then again in the fall. Lance-shaped leaves are closely spaced along the stem and new leaves open purplish, aging to green with a gray undertone. This Salvia loves partial shade with regular water and protection from the cold. Cool, dry weather promotes deeper leaf colors. Hardy to 20F.