Spring Snowflake, St. Agnes' Flower
Leucojum vernum

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Leucojum (LOO-koh-jum) (Info)
Species: vernum (VER-num) (Info)

Bulbs

Summerville, South Carolina

Huntsville, Texas

Rusk, Texas

On Mar 30, 2015, eolivas103 from Las Cruces, NM (Zone 8a) wrote:

I received this as a bonus bulb from Easy to Grow Bulbs. I planted them in a part of the garden that is "under contstruction" because for some reason I wasn't sure if I would like them. If I had only known how beautiful and dainty and unique they are, they would have been given a prime spot. This is the 1st year I have grown them here so I will need to wait a year before I can really say they grow great in our area but at least this 1st year, they are doing really well ad cute! cute! cute!

On Mar 7, 2014, nativetex from Houston, TX wrote:

When I first moved into my house in Houston, Texas, a friend of my father's who lived in Galveston gave me some of his snowflake bulbs. They have been blooming in my back yard beds every February since then for 36 years. They have had no diseases, and no pests have bothered them. They have been moved and propagated several times. I happily look forward to seeing them every year.

On Jan 20, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A reliable bulb valued for its late winter/early spring flowers---white bells tipped in green hanging gracefully from the tops of the scapes.

The spring snowflake (Leucojum vernum) is commonly and easily confused with the misleadingly named summer snowflake (Leucojum aestivum). The first is rarely found in North American gardens (though it's been commonly grown in British gardens since the late 1600's). The second is a common heritage and pass along plant widely naturalized throughout the Southeast. Neither blooms in summer.

If it has three or more flowers on a stem, it's a summer snowflake (Leucojum aestivum).

Spring snowflakes have one flower per stem (or in some uncommon varieties, two), and their foliage generally gets no more than 6-8" tall... read more

On Feb 12, 2009, oddball62983 from Logansport, LA wrote:

according to "The Complete Book of Bulbs" this plant is only hardy to zone 7 , but i found my mystery flowers here in zone 8 in Louisiana , planted them last year, and here they are blooming prettily by my porch steps!!! i was sure i could remember my mother growing them when i was small but could never find any growing in this area. Needless to say im thrilled to have found this!!!

On Mar 15, 2007, omegabook from La Mesa, CA wrote:

According to the Sunset Western Garden Book, vernum is "generally unsucessful where temperatures remain above 20 degrees F/-7 degrees C." This makes it easy to confuse with Leucojum aestivum, which in mild winter areas, plants can bloom during the period from late fall through winter..."

On Jul 23, 2006, Ms_Carolina from Lexington, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This plant is one of the earliest blooming plants under a very old pecan tree in our front yard. It's dainty and cheerful! I plan to add a few near our pond. A previous owner planted it and it's lovely in it's contrast to the pine needle mulch.

On Mar 8, 2006, zsnp from Pensacola, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

We traveled through Fairhope and Foley in Alabama in Jan. 2006. These two cities were decorated with lots of flowers. We saw thousands and thousands of Spring Snowflakes blooming along the streets. Beautiful cities!!!