PlantFiles: Desert Willow, Desert Catalpa, Flowering Willow, Orchid of the Desert
Chilopsis linearis

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Chilopsis (kye-LOP-sis) (Info)
Species: linearis (lin-AIR-iss) (Info)

Synonym:Chilopsis linearis subsp. linearis

Rose/Mauve
Magenta (Pink-Purple)
Purple

This plant is resistant to deer

By lantana

Thumbnail #6 of Chilopsis linearis by htop

By htop
Thumbnail #7 of Chilopsis linearis by htop

Positive hopper1965 On Jul 3, 2014, hopper1965 from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

I have a desert willow plant growing in an 20" terra cotta pot. The plant is about 2 years old. It wasn't very happy the first year in the pot, but has branched out and is in bloom this summer. I have this plant growing in full sun throughout the year. It does seem to like to be watered every other day or so. I'm guessing it's because it is in a pot and in full sun. I know the plant isn't listed to be grown in zone 10b (my growing zone), but it's seems to be doing okay. The flowers are small, but very pretty. I haven't seen any seed pods form, but I do not have a second plant to act as a pollinator.

Positive MichaelC1 On Jan 16, 2014, MichaelC1 from Rancho Cucamonga, CA wrote:

I planted 2 desert willows about 14 years ago and put them too close to my back wall. They are about 8 inches trunk diameter and probably at least 15 feet high. Since I bought them as trees the flowers are too high. Also we get very high winds and they have broken at times. I love the trees and the birds do too but could I cut them to the ground and have them grow back as a shrub or are they too old for that? They are super easy to grow but the seed pods are messy. The flowers are like small orchids and the leaves bright green. I wonder if I could pla r one with a jacaranda in the same hole?

Neutral Limestonelin On Dec 31, 2012, Limestonelin from SPRING BRANCH, TX wrote:

If you want a certain color bloom,, buy a plant when it is in flower. I was disappointed when one of mine bloomed and it was a very pale washed out color. I have heard this tree can be started from cuttings.

Positive jazzy1okc On May 17, 2011, jazzy1okc from Oklahoma City, OK wrote:

This is an absolutely beautiful tree that should replace mimosa in areas where the winds are often strong and can break the weaker tree. There are some huge old specimens in OKC even though 7b is not on the zone list.

Positive aasalas On Apr 17, 2010, aasalas from Lewes, DE (Zone 7b) wrote:

I had long admired this plant when I visited my folks in New Mexico; then saw it offered locally a year ago. I planted it on the west-southwest side of the house, and, since we get a lot of moisture here in Delaware, put it in a high point with very sandy soil, to ensure it doesn't have wet feet. I did water it weekly when there was no rain the first summer, to get it established.

It bloomed constantly all summer. With an unusually wet and cold winter this year, we wondered whether it would be back, but it is leafing out now and looks very healthy.

Neutral pollengarden On Feb 23, 2010, pollengarden from Pueblo, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

They have this growing at the Denver Botanic Garden, Zone 5a-5b. You can see where it froze down to the ground and re-grew. In this area, Zone 5b-6a (sheltered) I have seen it both as a froze-&-regrew bush, and as a small tree. Apparently it needs a pollinator, because when there is only one around, it doesn't get seed pods. Also, it may prefer slightly acid soil, but it tolerates alkaline.

Positive LibbyMcClendon On Feb 22, 2010, LibbyMcClendon from La Mesa, CA wrote:

I have seen this plant growing at Martinez Lake, AZ and also along the road to San Felipe MX. I've started a couple from seeds (La Mesa CA), but they're not looking too happy right now (February). Love this tree!

Positive Dedda On Feb 22, 2010, Dedda from Petersburg, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Although we are zone 7 A or B - depends on where you look... I have a 12 ft and a 6 ft specimens in my garden that were started from seeds 5 years ago.
Love the flowers and the willowy look of the tree

Positive Cactuseater On Sep 17, 2006, Cactuseater from Austin, TX wrote:

I have a bunch of seeds that I have dried, and want to get these growing. I live in Austin TX (not sure what zone this is)

Positive wshall On Mar 22, 2005, wshall from El Paso, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

These plants love the desert conditions of el paso. They do not need much water either, so the city water company reccomends that people here grow them. Only downside is that they can form a bush-like tree if you are not careful.

Positive joshuatreedon On Feb 16, 2004, joshuatreedon from Joshua Tree, CA wrote:

Here in the joshua tree high desert, these willows grow abundantly, I have seen them naturally occurring in desert washes. Also I have two in my front yard and now every year I get many volunteers that are easy to dig up and transplant when they are dormant. I love the sweeping nature of the branches. It gives an oriental feel to the landscape. Also this willow gives off a very pungent fragrance after a rainfall that is very pleasing to the senses. Drought tolerant, I am lining my side road with them as a privacy screen

Positive nowheat On Nov 5, 2003, nowheat from Midland, TX (Zone 7a) wrote:

We had two desert willows that were just barely tree height in our back yard when we moved in 14 years ago. The larger is now about 20' tall with a branching, almost round form. Its sister is as tall, but narrower.

This tree needs lots of pruning or it will branch out and take over the place. I wasn't into gardening when we moved in so the two have taken over our back yard. They provide welcome shade in our hot West Texas summers. Their leaves appear late in the spring, and they flower all summer and into fall. In late fall or early winter, they drop their long, narrow willow-like leaves and their long beany seed pods. Here in Midland, in my unimproved yard, they are self seeding if the seed finds the right conditions. If encouraged, they will grow well and once established will need no extra water even in our area where we get only about 14" of rainfall per year.

Positive gardenerdeb On Sep 5, 2003, gardenerdeb from Elba, NY wrote:

We just had ours given to us this past spring and haven't seen the blooms yet but it is already about four feet tall.I cant wait to see it next year with blooms on it.

Positive garbanzito On Jun 7, 2003, garbanzito from Denver, CO (Zone 5a) wrote:

My Chilopsis linearis has survived two winters near an east wall in Denver, and grown to ten feet in the process with very little water. The tips of branches seem to die during th e winter, and have heard that in Colorado Springs (higher elevation) it sometimes dies to the ground, but can be regrown as a bush and pruned back into a tree if desired - worth the risk! Beautiful in its long bloom; neighbors covet the seedlings. Easy to prune into a nice profile. The variety we have is pink-flowered and is a child of a plant bought from a nursery in Albuquerque.
EDIT: June 2010 and this tree is now 9 years old and in fine condition; 12-15' tall now and has never suffered significant die-back; we have a smaller tree, about 5' tall, that was planted in 2003; it hasn't died back either, but seems to be a different species because of the lower growth rate; we do now get seedpods on both trees, but i've never seen a seedling

Positive Donboix On Nov 27, 2002, Donboix wrote:

Desert Willow grows wonderfully in the desert areas surrounding Las Vegas, Nevada - from Mesquite, Nevada down to Bakersfield, California.

Not much to look at in the winter but the true "Orchid of the Desert" all summer long. The 1 1/2" purple to white cone-shaped flowers moving easily in the summer breezes. This small tree or bush has been crossed with the Catalpa bignoides to produce another beautiful tree/bush: the X Chitalpa tashkentensis.

Positive fabfarmer On Nov 18, 2002, fabfarmer wrote:

When you first plant this small tree, it grows very fast at first, then slows as it gets larger. The flowers are simply beautiful and catch your eye. Hummingbirds love the flowers on this tree too! Can be be grown to look like a large shrub, or pruned to look more tree-like. A very draught tolerant tree that requires little to no additional water in the summer once established.

Neutral lantana On Mar 17, 2001, lantana from (Zone 7a) wrote:

A small, deciduous tree, height to 15 feet, blooms April to September. Native to Texas and the Southwest, will grow in full sun and partial shade.

The Desert Willow needs very well-drained soil. Although it grows best along streams and low places, it does not like wet feet. It grows well in rocky and gravel soils. It grows in very hot and dry areas.

Native Americans used the flowers, leaves and bark medicinally. They also used its wood for bows and baskets.

Illicha,
Chandler, Arizona
Glendale, Arizona
Scottsdale, Arizona (2 reports)
Sedona, Arizona
Sierra Vista, Arizona (2 reports)
Tucson, Arizona
Ridgecrest, California
Temecula, California
Tulare, California
Grand Junction, Colorado
Pueblo, Colorado (2 reports)
Lewes, Delaware
Dunnellon, Florida (2 reports)
Palm Coast, Florida
Wichita, Kansas
Henderson, Nevada
Las Vegas, Nevada (2 reports)
Clovis, New Mexico
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Bandon, Oregon
Abilene, Texas
Arlington, Texas
Austin, Texas (2 reports)
Belton, Texas
Bushland, Texas
Conroe, Texas
Crawford, Texas
Crowley, Texas
Dallas, Texas (3 reports)
De Leon, Texas
El Paso, Texas
Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)
Georgetown, Texas
Geronimo, Texas
Grand Prairie, Texas
Iredell, Texas
Kyle, Texas
Laredo, Texas
Liberty Hill, Texas
Manchaca, Texas
Midland, Texas (2 reports)
Missouri City, Texas
New Caney, Texas
North Richland Hills, Texas
Rowlett, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (4 reports)
Santa Fe, Texas
Spring Branch, Texas (2 reports)
Trenton, Texas