PlantFiles: Daylily
Hemerocallis 'Stella De Oro'

Family: Hemerocallidaceae (hem-er-oh-kal-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hemerocallis (hem-er-oh-KAL-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Stella De Oro
Additional cultivar information: (aka Stella d'Oro)
Hybridized by Jablonski; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1975

» View all varieties of Daylilies

Early midseason (EM)
Reblooming (Re)

Flower Size:
Miniature (less than 3" diameter)

Blooming Habit:

Ploidy:
Diploid

Awards (if applicable):
Stout Silver Medal
Donn Fischer Memorial Award (or runner-up)
Award of Merit (or runner-up)
Honorable Mention

Thumbnail #6 of Hemerocallis  by yvana

By carolann
Thumbnail #7 of Hemerocallis  by carolann

Positive coriaceous On Jun 17, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Yes, it's gold, and yes, it's way overused. But it's overused because it's a stellar performer.

I don't understand the negative reviews, except perhaps that the reviewers had unrealistic expectations for what a daylily can do.

For best performance, all daylilies really need full sun, at least 8 hours, especially if you want good repeat bloom. Scapes should be removed before seed is formed, and regular water and fertilizer/compost are also important for maximal bloom. Division every few years (with soil renewal) is also essential, as heavy bloomers quickly exhaust the soil. Neglected clumps decline in flower production after a few years, but this is true for all heavy bloomers.

Even at best, Stella rests for six weeks after its first flush of bloom. Then blooms come in flushes, not continuously.

As with any daylily, it tends to go semi-dormant after bloom, with a lot of leaf dieback. This is normal. Foliage will look best if the dead leaves are combed out of the clump.

If you object to the color, 'Happy Returns' is lemon yellow and mixes more happily with more colors. If you want modern continuous bloomers for the north, 'Frequent Flyer' is cream with a burgundy eye, 'Early and Often' is melon, 'Sunshine on Clouds' is a brilliant pale cool yellow, and 'Let Me Be Clear' is a pale (salmon) pink.

Negative vossner On Jun 17, 2014, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have to agree w/ negative comments concerning eventual decline. Stella is an overplanted variety in my area, including esplanades. The first year or two there was a riot of yellow blooms but 2-3 years later, much green growth and maybe 10% flowers.

Negative bobbieberecz On Jun 16, 2014, bobbieberecz from Concrete, WA wrote:

So over-rated I find myself warning new gardeners about this plant. It gives an ever decreasing show of blooms each year and then I wait (and wait, and wait) for the few scattered blooms to show up later in the season. Plenty of vigorous leaf growth but it's amongst the first to start turning yellow in the late summer. Just not enough bang for the buck. My other daylilies (a wide variety) grow huge with so many blooms, dead-heading is a daily chore. I've seen this plant in showcase public gardens but have never seen it nearly so robust in any of my gardens. I have been told I have a green thumb and give all my plants TLC but this one's a loser for me. There are far more great choices for repeat bloomers whose blooms are continuous. I will say that one plant in the shade turned yellow and sickly after it got sprayed with round-up. This year it came back and is full of blooms. Go figure. But the wait for a few reblooms isn't worth it. They're all going to the compost pile and getting replaced with "Happy Returns", though we have a gall midge problem around here. It's only a problem in the early season and for the rest of the summer the reblooms are fine.

Positive Bloomfly22 On Jun 22, 2013, Bloomfly22 from Palmdale, CA (Zone 8a) wrote:

My front yard's garden is like a desert. Yet my "Stelle de Oro" continues to live on. It stays compact and small, and it flowered for the first time this year. It blended nicely with the desert feel. I do not quite understand why this plant has negatives, even after reading the posts for them.

Negative naomiZ5b On Apr 30, 2013, naomiZ5b from Bangor, ME wrote:

This one is a dud for me. It blooms well for a couple of weeks in early summer; after that point it puts up only a few odd blooms . Full sun or part shade, more or less fertilizer, frequent dividing -- I've tried it all and nothing seems to make a difference. Perhaps what I bought wasn't the true plant, but in its brief period of bloom it certainly does resemble the pictures. Highly overrated.

Negative pointgarden On Mar 3, 2011, pointgarden from Newport, RI wrote:

Common,so many better rebloomers, bitsy taller 24" clear yellow flower,pardon me a nice red nocturnal and rosey returns a rich pink. we call" stella de oro" it the gas station daylily.Buy your plants from independents.

Positive Nickolock On Jul 5, 2010, Nickolock from Tifton, GA wrote:

From hundreds of daylilies the miniature sized Stella d' Oro is the first to bloom in our garden and it re-blooms the most all season. It is very light orange and not lemon yellow as someone else said. Take a bloom into your kitchen and compare with a lemon. That person might have Happy Returns which is a re-blooming daylily that is close to lemon yellow in color, but does not quite approach Stella d' Oro in number of blooms nor openess of bloom. I wish all daylilies bloomed as often and as much as Stella d' Oro! By late summer most daylilies are done for the season, but Stella d' Oro keeps going provided you give it water in the heat of drought and remove the old seed pods which will sap it's strength. In the southern coastal plains we have too much drought and heat for them to perform as well as in the mountains of the Appalachians where in June I once saw 50 blooms open per day on each clump at Sky Valley, GA entrance. That is the best I've ever seen Stella d' Oro perform!!! Amazing performance. I don't know what they were receiving there: water, fertilize or such, but they were very happy!!!

Neutral satkins On May 22, 2010, satkins from (Zone 6a) wrote:

I planted this plant several yrs ago in partial shade and I have only had 3-4 blooms in a season. My front yard is xeriscaped and the yarrow seedling I planted nearby the same day is 3-4 feet across and blooms like crazy (around 50-75 blooms). Not sure why Stella is so slow- seems even smaller this yr than last.

Positive ericabelle On May 18, 2010, ericabelle from West Plains, MO (Zone 6b) wrote:

We all see this daylily planted so many places, that it just becomes commonplace to us - but that is not the plant's fault! =) On its own merit, it is a very beautiful daylily that has a remarkable bloom period. I have to say I rolled my eyes when we moved into this house and dozens of stella daylilies started coming up. I relocated some and gave some away; but I really started appreciating this lily when I planted it in a raised bed in composted manure. I didn't realize what a beautiful plant it could be until then.

Positive julzperry On May 13, 2010, julzperry from Horn Lake, MS wrote:

I love these daylilies. I planted mine 4 years ago right under a big shade tree in my front yard. They get 2 hours of sun at the most every day, and are still fabulous little performers.

Positive stonemiller On Feb 25, 2010, stonemiller from Elmwood Park, IL wrote:

All of the info I've read says the best time to divide Stellas is in the fall. I'd like to divide mine this spring. Will they suffer undue damage if do this?

Positive nwh On Oct 17, 2009, nwh from Chicago, IL wrote:

You see this plant everywhere--malls, highways,etc. so I was not interested in it. But, a couple of years ago I picked up a few at the fall clearance sale at the grocery store for $1 each. I have a weedy, rocky, dry area under some large trees where I was putting in hostas, nothing else ever grows there. I planted the Stellas there and forgot about them until the following spring. I have to say I was amazed at how well they did with really no care at all, and how much better that "problem area" looks now.

Neutral Chutch1974 On Jul 6, 2009, Chutch1974 from Riverton, UT wrote:

This daylily does extremely well, but it is way too overused.

Positive jeff0452 On Apr 21, 2009, jeff0452 from Rio Rancho, NM wrote:

Not hard to care for at all: I planted this in the hot sun last summer, and it not only never went into shock, but kept on flowering into fall. Not huge-flowered, but produced many flower spikes. My fiancee loves the long blooming season. I was surprised this spring to see this nibbled on by rabbits, but I have added some chicken wire for protection, and the plant is recovering nicely.

Positive kimsuff On Apr 6, 2009, kimsuff from Littlerock, CA wrote:

Hi. We have a patch about 8' x 20' of these in the high (Mojave) desert, (Zone 7a). They are evergreen through our reasonably mild winters, rarely below 25 degrees. They are drought-tolerant and survive our long, hot, dry summers with no rain and temps to 100+, plus poor, alkaline soil. Of course, they do better with deep watering weekly in the Summer, and bloom from mid May (30 days afer last frost) through late October.

Not maintenance free, but removing dead "grassy" leaves and feeding twice is simple enough. What's not to love? Best, Deb

Positive Mainer On Jan 25, 2009, Mainer from Durham, ME (Zone 3a) wrote:

Very cold hardy and does rebloom here in my zone when very few daylilies do. Because of this it is everywhere in Maine when they landscape Malls, highways and such.

You will not see other colors except possibly Happy Returns and an occasional pink of Siloam Double Classic or Strawberry Candy for other rebloomers fall far short of their promise for our zone. We can expect bloom in the early summer and in late Sept or Oct in the warmer areas of our cities from these varieties. The rest are planted like they are one season only.

Neutral kdaustin On Sep 25, 2008, kdaustin from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Yeah it does well.
But its not spectacular, lots of daylilies are this good or better, they just didn't have an advertising campaign when they were introduced.
One of the really successful campaigns in modern "green industry" history. This plant, knockout roses, and Wave Petunias.
All good plants but not as "great" as you've been led to believe.
I couldn't believe the demand for these at the nursery I worked at when these were introduced..they outsold every other daylilly 10 to 1. Because so many people had them, more people wanted them, more people had them, more people wanted them..ad naseum.
DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!
But it is a nice daylily, I just can't stand how people bought into the marketing....

Neutral gardenlep On Aug 5, 2008, gardenlep from Dallastown, PA wrote:

We have several kinds of daylillies but need to know what can be done to promote new growth/new blooms this year.I love them until they begin to look 'messy'. Ideas????

Positive Noel1 On Jul 23, 2008, Noel1 from Andover, MA wrote:

Noel1 in northeastern Massachusetts.Love this lilly! It is minimal care, grows in full sun or sun/shade. I have a patch about 5' x 7' which burst into beauty this year mid-June and will blossom until the frost.

Neutral covsgarden On Jul 21, 2008, covsgarden from Avalon, NJ wrote:

planted in full morning sun with Northeast exposure. Plant is in shade in afternoon. Plants are prolific bloomers in spring but gradually decrease as summer progresses. Plants have an enormous amount of pods on stalks but pods won't open. is this normal?

Neutral roybird On May 10, 2008, roybird from Santa Fe, NM wrote:

In our dry, high desert climate with long, cold winters, Stella De Oro, is less than stellar. Stays alive and blooms with a few flowers for only a short time.

Positive BlackDogKurt On Sep 18, 2007, BlackDogKurt from Seymour, CT wrote:

Great plant for all-summer long, low-maintenance blooming. Plus, the foliage is attractive too. Best to divide them every few years but otherwise they are very easy to grow and one of the longest re-blooming daylilies.

Negative crazy4brugs On Sep 2, 2007, crazy4brugs from Kansasville, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I feel this plant is very over rated. And I love daylilies.

Neutral gardeninggalok On May 4, 2007, gardeninggalok from Yukon, OK wrote:

I recently started about 15 stellas from root. They have foliage that is about 4 inches tall. I was wondering if anyone know if they will bloom the first year? If not, will they next season? I love these plants, but wanted to save money starting from root. I know I will have to wait longer, but have no idea, can anyone advise?

Positive isabella On Jan 1, 2007, isabella from Taunton, MA wrote:

Steadfast and reliable performer. Nice bright yellow color, and nice foliage. Makes a great early summer continuation of the cheer of spring-time daffodils. Resistant to pests and diseases, unlike my oriental, tiger, and asian lilies which eaten alive by beetles.

Very easy to grow plant. Needs maintenance to keep ut a tidy appearance by pruning out dead flower/seed stalks. Also by late summer/early winter the foliage is a little ragged.

Positive Katze On Apr 23, 2006, Katze from Minneapolis, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

Great plant for beginner gardeners. We inherited these when we bought our house and they've been one of the easiest plants to care for. Very hardy in zone 4.

I just wanted to add that these have no problems with transplanting. We moved a bunch of these from one area in our yard to another a month or so ago. They didn't go into any sort of shock and are actually about to bloom (about a month ahead of when they usually bloom for us).

Neutral Gabrielle On Jan 26, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

A nice, re-blooming daylily, but overused in my opinion. Good in small quantities with lots of other plants. Blooms June - October in my garden.

Neutral winter_unfazed On Nov 4, 2005, winter_unfazed from Rural Webster County, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

Very susceptible to the Asian daylily rust.

Positive saya On Jun 23, 2005, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

Little Stella came true from seeds sown two years ago...blooming now for her first time..very cute..I love her seize..only 20 cm in hight !

Positive Gindee77 On Jun 1, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a very reliable daylily and blooms all summer long. It's very winter-hardy in my zone 5 garden.

Positive carolann On Oct 10, 2003, carolann from Auburn, NH wrote:

Agree completely with nynighthawk - although often considered boring by collectors, you cannot beat the durability and performance of Stella D'Oro.

Positive nynighthawk On Oct 4, 2003, nynighthawk from Brooklyn, NY wrote:

Having a small front yard garden, every plant is important and has to earn its keep. Stella d'oro is one of the anchors. It is compact, adaptable to any weather, sun, soil conditions and has at least three full flushes of bloom from May into late fall. A great plant.

Positive PurplePansies On Jul 19, 2003, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

The old tried and true favorite. Small plants smothered in smallish, bright, lemon yellow blossom. Very easy to grow, thrives in a range of soils and climates, and almost constantly blooming. Good to provide constant color in the perennial garden or for edgings. Seems to bloom from early summer right up until frost.

Positive jgtruly On Jul 9, 2003, jgtruly from Five Points, AL wrote:

I find this daylilly constantly blooms and keeps color in my garden from spring to fall. Stella's are my favorite.

Positive mystic On Jan 24, 2003, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

This makes a great border plant one of the best rebloomers, blooms all summer.

Neutral poppysue On May 16, 2002, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

Jablonski 1975; Gold self with small green throat

Dothan, Alabama
Five Points, Alabama
Foley, Alabama
Gadsden, Alabama (2 reports)
Holly Pond, Alabama
Dacula, Georgia
Hawkinsville, Georgia
Lilburn, Georgia
Quitman, Georgia
Stone Mountain, Georgia (2 reports)
Tifton, Georgia
Warner Robins, Georgia
Winterville, Georgia
Wrens, Georgia
Kihei, Hawaii
Oldtown, Idaho
Champaign, Illinois
Cherry Valley, Illinois
Chicago, Illinois (3 reports)
Davis Junction, Illinois
Warren, Michigan
Avon, Minnesota
Hibbing, Minnesota
Isanti, Minnesota
Minneapolis, Minnesota (4 reports)
Saint Cloud, Minnesota (2 reports)
Saint Paul, Minnesota (2 reports)
Young America, Minnesota
West Plains, Missouri
Cut Bank, Montana
Central City, Nebraska
Lincoln, Nebraska
Omaha, Nebraska (2 reports)
Auburn, New Hampshire
Cary, North Carolina
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Gastonia, North Carolina
Morehead City, North Carolina
Raleigh, North Carolina (3 reports)
Taylorsville, North Carolina
Akron, Ohio
Bucyrus, Ohio
Canton, Ohio
Chandlersville, Ohio
Cincinnati, Ohio (3 reports)
Cleveland, Ohio
North Ridgeville, Ohio
Powell, Ohio
Ravenna, Ohio
Comanche, Oklahoma
Enid, Oklahoma (3 reports)
Hugo, Oklahoma
Johnson City, Tennessee
Morrison, Tennessee
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Westmoreland, Tennessee
Austin, Texas (2 reports)
Conroe, Texas