Hybrid Multiflora, Large Flowered Climbing Rose
Rosa 'Blaze'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Blaze
Additional cultivar information:(PP10, aka Climbing Blaze)
Hybridized by Kallay

Shade-tolerant

Resistant to rust

Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on old wood; prune after flowering

From hardwood cuttings

Plano, Texas

South Hero, Vermont

Madison, Wisconsin

On Jul 11, 2014, bstnh1 from Farmington, NH wrote:

I've had several Blaze climbers over the years at different locations. They do fine in Zone 4 with no protection whatsoever. I planted one in the Spring of 2013, got a few blooms, and nothing the rest of the year. This Spring (2014) it took off and it's loaded with bright red roses. Give it good, well prepared soil, fertilizer and water and you won't be disappointed with its performance.

On May 23, 2013, sunshimmer from Shamokin, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have had this climbing rose for 3 years now. I have it in full sun growing up a trellis with golden showers climbing rose next to it. The first year it didn't do much. Last year it grew about 4ft and had a few blooms. This year I added a soaker hose to my garden and also used liquid fertilizer on it as well as sprinkling 10-10-10 at the root zone. It is now about 8ft and has tons of buds on it already and it's just the beginning of the growing season. Last year it had a few blooms at a time, but this year it is covered in buds. Can't wait to see how great it will be this year. No problems or issues with it, other than a slow start. Oh, also..train it horizontally across the trellis in zig zag for better and more blooms. Fantastic!

UPDATE: June-2014:This winter has been pre... read more

On Nov 12, 2010, LauraSteele from Fort Wayne, IN wrote:

My great-grandfather planted this rose in 1933 in front of our garage. I have a picture of my father (age 4) and behind him is that rose at about 3' tall starting to go up the trellis. I went over to Dad's house several years ago and he asked what I'd been doing. My arms were all scratched and bleeding. I told him that I'd been pruning the "demon rose". He just laughed himself silly. When I asked him what was so funny, he told me that he'd always hated that rose, too. It was Dad's chore, growing up, to prune it so he could, literally, feel my pain. The rose is now about 75 years old, healthy, huge and as cantankerous as ever. The rose is so large (it outgrew the trellis about 30 years ago) it just goes up onto the garage roof and lays there, blooming like mad, throughout the summer. It's n... read more

On Apr 4, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 10 has expired

On Mar 18, 2009, greekbecky from Pittsford, NY wrote:

This is a special rose for me as it was developed in my hometown of Mentor, Ohio.

From the Mentor Historical Society:

1932

U.S. Patent No. 10 issued to the first ever-blooming climbing rose, Blaze, developed in Mentor by Joseph W. Kallay. Mentor is known as the Rose Capital of the Nation.

On Dec 19, 2005, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is my very first rose and I just love it. The only minus for me is its lack of fragrance. The pic I posted is about 3 yrs old and the rose has been growing there for about 4 yrs. It is in semi-shade and is virtually care-free. I feed it with eggshells, banana peels and give it one dose of all-purpose rose food in the Spring. It does get a little blackspot in mid to late summer, but it doesn't seem to harm it. Mine would be a huge monster if I didn't keep it pruned. Now it has a sweet autumn clematis growing in it. I hope to post more pics when it blooms next year.

On Apr 30, 2004, anix from Houston, TX wrote:

I'm in love. I purchased this plant for under $3 at the local grocery store last summer. It's taken off and is covered in clusters of 8 - 9 blooms. What a beautiful and so far disease resistant rose. I can't wait to watch it take over and blanket the fence line with beautiful red blooms. Take a peek at the pictures !

On Mar 21, 2002, Sis wrote:

Blaze is a good performer all around. Its highly disease resistant. It is a climber and will grow 10ft. to 15ft. The flowers are deep red and highly fragrant. It does have thorns, so careful when taking out diseased, dying or dead canes. It is heat tolerant and does well in drought situations.

When caring for roses use the 3D Rule: Only remove the Dead, Dying and Diseased canes.

Exception: When pruning to open the canopy on other roses (Hybrid Teas for example).