Miss Willmott's Ghost, Giant Sea Holly
Eryngium giganteum

Family: Apiaceae (ay-pee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Eryngium (er-RIN-jee-um) (Info)
Species: giganteum (jy-GAN-tee-um) (Info)

Flowers are good for cutting

Flowers are good for drying and preserving

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Medium Blue

Silver/Gray

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

, British Columbia

Dover, Delaware

Roslindale, Massachusetts

Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania

Ogden, Utah

negative

On Jul 4, 2013, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Beautiful and subtle. Most sea hollies have conspicuous spiny blue bracts, but this ones' are green and silver. So far my plants have been under two feet tall.

Biennial, but mine have self-sown as advertised. Eryngium seed are notoriously ephemeral, so most purchased seed is hard to germinate. I started with a purchased plant. I've allowed two seedlings to live, and the first to reach bloom is a little over a foot high. Perhaps it will be taller under more favorable conditions---it only gets a few hours of direct sun. Or perhaps it is a seed strain bred for compactness.

If you're wondering how it got its common name, Ellen Wilmott (1858-1934) was an influential and famously eccentric English horticulturist who exhausted her substantial inheritance on her garde... read more

On Oct 9, 2010, lehua_mc from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

Impatiently, I tried to start seeds of this Sea Holly outside in spring, even though all sources, including Botanical Interests, couldn't ensure results. Then we had a very wet spring, and cool summer, and not a ghost of a seedling. These are popular in the area, so, now that it is fall, I shall try my hand at it again.

On Jun 29, 2006, hortensia from Langley, BC, BC (Zone 8b) wrote:

thank goodness there are lots of gardening styles!!! I love all eryngia and this biennial form is a favourite. Its true it sows itself around, but that just means it puts itself in some places I wouldn't have thought of. A fabulous dried plant and an essential in a silver border!

On Jun 6, 2005, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

I think Eryngiums this one included are HIGHLY overrated. I don't think they look like much. Maybe its compared to the lushness of flower and the like in NJ but Eryngium here just looks sort of bare and odd and not all that showy. They get alot of attention these days and alot of raves reviews but I still believe they're an acquired (and I've acquired a taste for other things but not this) taste. Don't be surprised if you plant them and are dissapointed.

On May 3, 2005, ladyannne from Merced, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

One of the most unusual plants. I sold eight babies at a flea market within an hour. I can't WAIT to see it bloom.