Shrub Rose
Rosa 'Knock Out'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Knock Out
Additional cultivar information:(PP11836, aka Knock Out, RADrazz, Knockout, Purple Meidiland)
Hybridized by Radler

Flower Fragrance:

Slightly Fragrant

Habit:

Shrub

Can be trained as a standard or tree form

Patented

Other Details:

Shade-tolerant

Resistant to black spot

Resistant to mildew

Resistant to rust

Sets hips

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Dunnellon, Florida

Gulf Breeze, Florida

Hampton, Florida

Lake City, Florida

Lakeland, Florida (2 reports)

Lithia, Florida

Palm Coast, Florida

Panama City, Florida

Port Saint Joe, Florida

Saint Cloud, Florida

Spring Hill, Florida (2 reports)

Stuart, Florida

Dubuque, Iowa

Andover, Kansas

Shawnee Mission, Kansas

Crofton, Kentucky

Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2 reports)

Covington, Louisiana

Echo, Louisiana

Lafayette, Louisiana

Simmesport, Louisiana

Slidell, Louisiana

Sulphur, Louisiana

West Monroe, Louisiana (2 reports)

Bowie, Maryland

Syracuse, New York

Cary, North Carolina

Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Charlotte, North Carolina

Concord, North Carolina (2 reports)

Gibsonville, North Carolina

Raeford, North Carolina

Raleigh, North Carolina (2 reports)

Vale, North Carolina

Summerville, South Carolina

Germantown, Tennessee

Hendersonville, Tennessee

Knoxville, Tennessee

Austin, Texas (3 reports)

Baytown, Texas

Katy, Texas

Midlothian, Texas

North Zulch, Texas

Paris, Texas

Richmond, Texas (2 reports)

Rockport, Texas

Rockwall, Texas

Rowlett, Texas (2 reports)

San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)

Spring, Texas (2 reports)

Chantilly, Virginia

Little Chute, Wisconsin

New Lisbon, Wisconsin

Pardeeville, Wisconsin

On Jun 21, 2015, elainewhite74 from Herndon, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Sadly, I'm going to have to give this plant a negative. Five years ago we planted 6 of these in a bed at the front of the house. They were absolutely gorgeous, very low maintenance and offered an endless drift of color. Sounds like the perfect plant.....right? Not so fast! Last year we noticed discoloration and strange, distorted limbs. After some research, we discovered our knockout roses had become infected with Rose Rosette Disease. This disease is highly contagious, and once your roses have become infected there is no cure, the plant will die. Knockout Roses were hailed to be disease resistant. Unfortunately, they are not resistant to Rose Rosette. I'm heartbroken over the loss of these plants, but out only option was to dig them up and burn them. After walking around the neighborhood,... read more

On May 14, 2014, KariGrows from New Lisbon, WI (Zone 4b) wrote:

I'm posting neutral due to my double pink surviving the zone 4 winter, a brutal one, with protection - its totally leafed out and beautiful with very little dieback. However, my double red is black to the base. It was gorgeous last year and much bigger and more prolific than the pink one. I started to dig it out and found one small area of green . I had given this one winter protection and it actually was in a more protected area. There are no buds at all. I was very happy with it until now. Of course I liked the red best. So will it live? who knows. I don't even know if I want a replacement or use a different rose there.

On Aug 7, 2013, mehitabel45 from Whidbey Island, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Boring rose. No scent, uninteresting flowers. Bush scraggly. Waste of space. Get a real rose.

On Jun 27, 2013, pattyapple101 from Ephrata, PA wrote:

I planted three Rainbow Knockout Roses in front of my house about four years ago. I live in southeastern Pennsylvania. With a minimum of care (a little pruning I do to shape the plants in early spring, and infrequent deadheading), I have had healthy plants, which bloom profusely starting in mid-May and then continue blooming sporadically until frost. I am not happy, though, about the fading of the flowers on this variety. The flowers start off as this beautiful pink-coral-yellow center color, and then fade to a sickly-looking cream-like color, which is not pretty. I am looking for a knockout variety that does not fade - or at least does not fade to the extent that these flowers do. I realize that all flowers have to die, but I would prefer flowers that die with their color more intac... read more

On Mar 3, 2013, joraines from Inman, SC wrote:

I know some rose enthusiasts believe they are 'over-rated', over-planted and hyped but I love them. Having tried to raise hybrid teas in the past with the endless spraying, feeding and still watching black spot take over, Knockout Roses are like a dream come true. Endless blooms, no black spot, little watering required and they bloom even if you don't feed them. We have two of the red's at our farm sign up at the top of our long driveway far away from a watering hose and even in the hot, dry summer, they contnue to perform beautifully. I intend to try other hardy shrub roses elsewhere but for lasting season-long color, vigor, ease of care and beauty where you can't fuss with them all the time, they can't be beat!

On May 11, 2012, melhol90 from Glencoe, FL wrote:

I have only had this rose for maybe 3 days i keep the soil slightly moist but over the last day i noticed the roses pedals looked burned is it getting too much sun? The buds look healthy and I didnt have in the ground until the second day after purchase. Could this effect the way it is growing?

On May 23, 2011, rcmartin from Hanover, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I am very satisfied with the knock out roses. I have planted 2 double pinks and 2 double reds. The reds were planted in 2009 and the pinks in 2010. Very satisfied with them, growth has been phenominal. Last year I did not cut them back very far and the reds grew to about 4 1/2 feet. This year I trimmed both kinds in the late fall and then again in the spring as they were beginning to sprout new growth. I even thinned them out like you would do on a normal rose bush. Growth has been good and they just began to blossom over this weekend (5/20-22-2011). I dead head them during the season and learned early not to go beyond the first leaf on the branch if I want additional flowering.

On May 22, 2011, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have two pink doubles and they are blooming like crazy, although they haven't gained any size, I think I am going to loosen the soil and add some organic fertilizer and see if I can give the whole plant a boost. I did have leaves all winter though.

On Mar 17, 2011, YeeFam from Spring, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Planted red and pink knockout roses last May - did very well during the summer and fall.

Pruned the bushes to keep it low in December -

Started to leaf out and setting buds in mid February -

Now in mid March, it started blooming - bushes much fuller now.

My location is suburban north/Houston.

On Dec 7, 2010, tgwWhale from Casco, WI wrote:

I bought my only Knockout because my row of roses, along the south edge of my garden, passes within 25 feet of the neighbor's flowering crab -- a variety that gets totally loaded with black spot every year and spreads the black spot to my roses. So when Knockout came out and was advertised as 100% resistant to black spot, I tried one.

My Knockout never grew all that well. It hardly got over a foot high, even though I fertilize weekly until August 1. (That's the kind of pushing one has to do in NE Wisconsin, where even "boxed and buried" roses typically get through our 25-below winters with only 4 to 8 inches alive at the bottom.) I don't really like the color -- it's too much to the pink side of red, and I like truly red roses. And it is absolutely useless as a cut flow... read more

On Oct 7, 2010, braun06 from Peoria Heights, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

The plants are great, they are tough, but heck yeah there are tons of more choices out there. Knockouts are overplanted. It is likely planted at your local Mcdonalds in large masses. I like diversity, which is better for the eye and for our virus/disease proned biology. If a disease comes through that likes the genetics of these plants so well, it will go by way of the elm very quickly and leave many cities with empty plant beds.

On May 13, 2010, julzperry from Horn Lake, MS wrote:

I have two of these planted in a location right up against my house. They get sun from 11 am until the sun goes down. They are wonderful performers, and have reached the height of 10 feet in only 6 years. They do not seem to be growing any taller anymore. I have never pruned or fertilized mine. I just planted them and left them alone.. They are a must have for any rose lover!

On Apr 17, 2010, Leehallfae from Seattle, WA wrote:

Easy care, and an early bloomer. Mine is already in flower.

It tolerates shade, does not have that wonderful rose aroma, but for the beauty she provides, that's fine. Does well in a container, or in the grouond.

On a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest, I rate this Rose a Five.

On Nov 3, 2009, Julie35 from Fort Wayne, IN wrote:

Should this plant be covered during a freeze just at freezing point? I have buds and full flowers which may need coverage this week. I'm from the sunny South, where many plants can die when it gets down near the freezing point. However, I'm not sure what a shrub rose does when the weather is within its cold hardiness. Please advise.

I planted two bushes during late summer, and the blooms continue into mid-autumn in zone 5.

On Oct 8, 2009, MsHammer from Mount Upton, NY wrote:

I have only had mine just this summer and I love the Knockout Roses! They bloomed and grew all summer long and we had a Very wet summer and cold too, up here in the Northeast. I have 2.. one is pink and one is red. They are still blooming and it is now October with cold nights and more rainy days ! We did not have too many Japanese Beetles this summer for some reason.They always ruin my other roses , but they did not harm the Knockouts. I think I will be buying more of these, since they are very hardy and kept blooming all summer. I never had to water them because of all the rain we had all summer long and now most of the Fall. I did dead-head them whenever I was out there to look at them. They are still full of buds. I will put some leaf mulch around them bottom of the plants f... read more

On Jul 23, 2009, graciebelle from North Bennington, VT wrote:

I have a few Knock Outs (Red, Double Red and Rainbow) . The red ones are doing OK - some Japanese beetles here and there but they continue to bloom through it all. But the Rainbow one is covered with Japanese beetles - not much left of the leaves or the blossoms at this point - and it's still covered with JB every morning. I kind of feel like it's now the sacrificial plant for the entire garden. Guess I'll just stick to the earlier varieties.

On Jan 27, 2009, dotin87 from Detroit, TX (Zone 7a) wrote:

Great plant for mass plantings. I saw these in N. Dallas planted in the medians and fell in love with them. When we moved to our N.E. Texas ranch, we planted a hedge (20)along the entrance to our garage. They have bloomed profusely every summer since 2006. Originally, after a very wet winter two plants' leaves showed yellowing with brown edges and stunted growth. I kept watering and occassionlly fertilizing them during the droughty summer. A local nursery woman told me I was watering them too much and that they loved abuse. No problem! Quit watering the remainder of hot, dry summer- they did great. Highly recommend them for this area 7a,b, especially for someone like me that doesn't know anything about raising roses.

On Aug 1, 2008, lrwells50 from (Lynn) Paris, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have this rose planted towards the back of our lot, and it's always chock full of blooms that are visible from our back porch.

On Apr 24, 2008, Gardenia731 from (Arlene) Lakeland, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

My father bought me my first knockout rose for 2007 Christmas while visiting form Puerto Rico. This was my test to begin a garden in my new house. Well, he planned this very well because I am hooked. Since December of 2007 I am on a role with these roses.

I have a very hectic lifestyle with 2 teenagers, 2 dogs, a husband and a very demanding career. I am truly enjoying all the blooms the rose provides daily. So far I am the happy owner of 2 single (1pink, 1red) and four dbl knock outs.

I highly recommend this rose to anyone who is just starting a garden(ing) and even if you are a pro this rose is a must have. Presently looking for the rainbow knockout.

On Mar 20, 2008, GreeneLady from Oak Island, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

Knock out Roses were specifically bred to handle the hot summers of the south. Will grow in the north, but knock outs need heat to flourish. These roses LOVE water and need to be mulched at the base. If you let them dry out, flower production will be way down and the bushes will look ratty and will loose leaves quickly.

I have 18 planted forming a hedge in front of my house. As of 3/19/08 in zone 8, Everyone of my bushes is profusely covered with new buds, and should be blooming by the first or second week in April. The hedge is now two years old. At the end of the first season in '06, most of them were nearly 4 feet tall. In late january of 07, I pruned the roses back to 3 feet each. During the 07 season they spread out and the hedge has totally filled in. At the e... read more

On Jul 31, 2007, biddyusmc from Raeford, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I really like this beautiful rose. It does have a fragrance, and a very nice one at that. When there are many blooms, it is very noticeable. Otherwise, you have to get very close in order to smell it. It has flourished in over 100 degree heat with full sun exposure. My soil is very acidic and the rose blooms like crazy. This rose is a source of constant color from early spring to late fall. Like a previous poster commented, it will have deep red blooms which fade to a light pink shade before they fall off. I am very happy with this rose because it take very little maintenance and is resistant to extreme heat and humidity and freezing cold. It is nearly a no-brainer shrub that is perfect for those who have difficulty keeping plants alive and thriving.

On Jun 25, 2007, Meig from Far Northwest 'burbs, IL (Zone 4b) wrote:

I love the color of these roses.

I am disappointed in the face that they didn't survive without dying back to the ground in my Z5 garden this past winter (1st winter in the ground) since everyone raves about how hardy they are. I only lost one plant (out of 11) but all the survivors died back to the ground. All are back and growing, but some are doing better than others.

I live in a very open, windy area, so maybe this had something to do with the dieback. I do love how these look so they are sticking around for another season or two. I hope as they establish more they will get more hardy. Otherwise I'll have to cover them like any other rose.

ET (June 3, 2008): These are still not doing well in my garden. They consistently die down to the... read more

On Jun 8, 2007, Allie88 from Palmyra, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I LOVE these roses. It says that they only have a slight fragrance, but we have them planted near our pool and by a walk way and they have the most delightful fragrance. I have had no disease problems, whatsoever. I bring them in my house as cut flowers all the time. They flower abundantly all summer! It's one of my favorite flowers.

On Oct 31, 2006, NHLady from Exeter, NH (Zone 5a) wrote:

I've been gardening for many years and, like many gardeners, I had lost patience with roses. A friend who works at a local nursery assured me I would like Knock Out. She was so right! I have 7-8 of them now and each one has adapted well to its location. I had to transplant several in August. They tolerated the move nicely and they even rewarded me with new blossoms. It's now Halloween in New Hampshire and I am still cutting buds to bring indoors. I enthusiastically recommend them. If you are new to gardening and want to try rose shrubs, plant Knock Out--you won't regret it.

On Sep 27, 2006, MagNC from Gibsonville, NC wrote:

I give it a 'neutral' only because the Japanese beetles chowed on it without mercy this past summer, I'm happy it survived and now seems to be doing well.

On Aug 6, 2006, cpd99 from Oak Brook, IL wrote:

We have been growing this for 3 years. The first year was very successful, with copious blooms.

At the beginning of the second season, I cut the plants back a little, esp. some dead canes. Blooming was not as good as the first year.

This is now the 3rd year and blooms are good, but there is very little repeat flowering. There are Japanese beetles all over them (I pick them off by hand) and there is now some evidence of black spot and some other fungal disease on the stems. This is disappointing.

On Jun 13, 2006, SummerSun06 from Townsend, MA (Zone 5b) wrote:

The only rose I have grown with no die back with no protection in my zone 5 garden. I have them in an exposed site with no winter protection and they came back in better condition than roses in a protected spot with protection. They look great in a mass planting. An amazing rose.

On May 28, 2006, janders from Rockwall, TX wrote:

Beautiful color! I can smell the flowers but my husband says that they have no scent to him. Fairly disease resistant as long as it is planted properly.

On May 19, 2006, boneyween from Shawnee Mission, KS wrote:

Highly recommended for new rose growers because of this plant's strong resistance to the dreaded black spot disease. Blooms are initially a florescent cherry red, fading to a soft pink. In my experience, you'll get the most profuse blooming in full sun and with regular deadheading, but no special cutting techniques are required. Mine have a light scent when the blooms open, but it fades after a couple days.

On May 11, 2006, cottonfarm from Midlothian, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

My neighbor planted one and it is now 5 ft. tall despite the claims of being a 3ft tall bush. I noticed it is putting on hips too. Very small hips. It is north of a very large hedge.Blooms like crazy.

On May 1, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Great shrub rose, very easy care. Blooms throughout the season even in the south if given sufficient water.

On Mar 16, 2006, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have three of the red "Knock Out" roses in various degrees of sun in my garden, from full sun to mostly shade. The one in full sun has grown the largest, but all of them have grown and bloomed profusely for me.

As mentioned above, I think the most effective use of these roses is in mass plantings packed tightly together and pruned to make hedges about 24 inches high. Planted singly, the bush growth habit tends to look somewhat scraggly and thin.

Jeremy

On Mar 15, 2006, annaprim from Wheaton, IL wrote:

I planted 9 Knockout roses under less than ideal conditions (soil not well amended, part sun) and they have bloomed and bloomed for me. The only disappointment I have had with them is that they did not produce the beautiful hips that the supplier promised. Maybe they would have under better conditions.

On Aug 14, 2005, fireant13 from (Zone 9a) wrote:

My experience mirrors maggiemoo's, including the thorns and no fragrance. I have five of them in a raised planter bed. They are thriving and blooming with little maintenance.

On Aug 14, 2005, michaeladenner from Deland, FL wrote:

Though everyone calls it a single, it's not a true single like, say, a cherokee rose. I'd call it a semi-double. Grows very nicely (on Fortuniana) here in Florida in filtered sun. Does like fertilizer, but otherwise absolutely zero maintenance. I don't even bother pruning.

On May 16, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This single rose is a great bloomer and hardy in zone 5. It's also a very heatly rose.

On Jul 24, 2004, seedlng from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

south-east florida : fort lauderdale

I WAS IMPRESSED HOW WELL THEY SURVIVE AND CONTINUED TO BLOSSOM WITHOUT ANY SIGNS OF TROUBLE. FALL LEAVES WERE BEAUTIFUL AS WELL.

pss : i was so impressed i give this plant out as gifts whenever i can thru mail orders ..to new hampshire and florida
----

I have 16 of these roses in various areas of my south florida home.

Before I bought any I was subjected 3 roses to my own experiement/s. I needed something that i did not have to
care about , that would bloom reliably and dependably.
I did not care whether they gave fragrance, although a plus.
i care about color and security aroung my yard. I also had to think about how they would look with a carefree attitude garden ... read more

On Feb 12, 2004, handhelpers from Coopersburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

beautiful fluorescent cherry red - practically maintenance free as far as roses go. agree with the 'very thorny' - be careful

On Feb 11, 2004, jyoung from Baton Rouge, LA wrote:

'Knockout' roses are one of the easiest, most profuse blooming, and disease resistent plants. Used in mass plantings for landscape use in a very clay type moist soil in south Louisiana, this rose continues to thrive. We have had several nights with freezing temperatures as low as 26 F, and sevaral days of rainfall, as much as 4 inches at a time. The plants kept their blooms through late November and continue to produce new growth throughout the winter season. The summer months don't seem to affect this plant neither. Constant blooms and good growth are a plus for the rose family and all gardeners should have this one in their collection.

On Feb 11, 2004, maggiemoo from Conroe, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I've had this rose for almost a year exactly (I won it for Valentines Day, 2003.) Texas A&M has designated this an "Earthkind" rose, meaning it can pretty much handle all types of soils and neglect, and still perform. In my 8b - 9a zone garden it is just now finally takng a rest. Otherwise, it always has blooms on it, and while it did get some black spot, it never bothered the plant. I've never been able to detect even the slightest fragrance, but its good looks coupled with low maintenance make up for it. Other than a lack of fragrance, the only negative I can find is that it has killer thorns, so watch out when you're working around it! One of the garden call-in shows I listen to on Sat mornings is hosted by a landscape company to the north of Houston. They use this extensively as a land... read more

On Jan 10, 2003, Kathkc from East Falmouth, MA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Striking, deep red-pink color; dark green foliage; very hardy in my NE garden; black spot was not a problem, but it doesn't make a great cut flower.

On Aug 2, 2001, JSS from Cordova, MD wrote:

Class: Shrub
Bred in the U.S. 1999 by William Radler
Bloom: Cherry-red, orange-red, orange-red blend.
ARS Color: mr Medium red