English Rose, Austin Rose 'Tamora'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Tamora
Additional cultivar information:(aka AUStamora)
Hybridized by Austin
Registered or introduced: 1983

English Rose (aka Austin Rose)

Apricot and apricot blend (ab)

Bloom Shape:

Flower Fragrance:

Very Fragrant

Can be trained as a standard or tree form

Other Details:

Resistant to black spot

Resistant to mildew

Resistant to rust

Stems are very thorny

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Mc Minnville, Tennessee

Fort Valley, Virginia

Suffolk, Virginia

On Jan 20, 2014, outdoorlover from Enid, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is a very beautiful rose; one of the most beautiful ones because of its many petals, unusual color, and unique fragrance. It grows well in our climate with no pests or diseases.

On Mar 18, 2012, wasbloomin from Echo, LA wrote:

I ordered two from a Tyler, Texas nursery. They arrived very small, but are growing nicely. The scent is everything its advertised as - incredible. I love this rose! Have yet to see how it does in Louisiana's heat and humidity.

On Aug 9, 2010, crisymei from WILSONVILLE
United States wrote:

"Tamora" is easy to grow. The plant is low and compact, yet very prolific. It continues to bloom throughout the summer. I like their orange color. I hope the blooms could last longer, though.

On Jan 26, 2009, StolenMoments from Petersburg, IN wrote:

Wow, is all I can think of, this rose is the first I bought for my new garden and it is such a beauty. I have it right in front of my porch swing and the scent and beauty is outstanding. It is a "wow" rose when friends come to visit and I have had it 3 years this spring. I have 3 good starts from it and they had small blooms and got to about 8 inches tall last fall, anxious to see what they do this year. I just did root compound then direct to soil and covered with a glass jar for about 4 weeks in late fall of 07. So I hope to be able to move them this spring to a new area and enjoy.

On Nov 14, 2008, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

According to David Austin's 2009 Handbook of Roses, the name for this rose comes from Shakespeare's play 'Titus Andronicus'.

On Nov 21, 2007, Nasturtium28 from Sacramento, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

The picture I posted is from a plant that has been in the ground only about 6 months. It is on drip irrigation and has performed well so far. It bloomed through October and the foliage has remained healthy. I am using it in the border, next to the path; I chose it for its compact size, flower fragrance, form, and color, and overall form of the shrub. I don't know how well the Austin roses do in the heat of this area; we had a fairly mile summer in 2007, so it was not fully tested. But I love this rose and want to give it a go!

On Feb 24, 2007, hart from Shenandoah Valley, VA wrote:

If you've had no luck with David Austin roses, try this one. Very tough and lots of blooms all summer. It stays a nice size too, not too large to tuck into a smaller bed. Scent seems to vary from year to year. Some years the fragrance is strong and wonderful, others very faint.

On Jul 14, 2006, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Brand new rose, acquired early summer 2006. Temporarily potted until permanent inground bed is finished. Very fragrant. I hope the color becomes peachier over time.

Transplanted inground in late winter 2007. This rose did not skip a beat and is blooming its little heart out. Color is a soft peach.

On May 20, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is my most favorite rose. It's low-growing, winter hardy, disease resistant, and blooms continually. The blooms are very fragrant, a lovely apricot color that looks like it's glowing from within. The only drawback is that it's very thorny.

On Apr 7, 2005, nikkoblue from Davidson, NC wrote:

This rose bloomed all summer long the first summer after planting. I am completely taken with the color, form and scent of this beautiful rose. I do no spraying, and this rose was healthy and beautiful in the heat and humidity of NC.

On Nov 17, 2003, flowerE1 from Suffolk, VA wrote:

This rose seems to like the heat and stays compact. The color is a beautiful apricot, and it smells great! It reblooms well.

On Aug 27, 2001, NancyA from Santa Cruz, CA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This lovely rose seems to do particularly well in my zone 8 California garden. It likes heat, and blooms almost continuously.