Species Orchid, Stemless Lady's Slipper, Moccasin Flower, Short Inflorescence Cypripedium

Cypripedium acaule

Family: Orchidaceae (or-kid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cypripedium (sip-rih-PEE-dee-um) (Info)
Species: acaule (a-KAW-lee) (Info)
Synonym:Calceolus hirsutus
Synonym:Cypripedium hirsutum
Synonym:Cypripedium humile
Synonym:Fissipes acaulis
Synonym:Fissipes hirsuta

Partial to Full Shade

4.5 or below (very acidic)

4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

Old Lyme, Connecticut

Rhoadesville, Virginia

Roanoke, Virginia

Menomonie, Wisconsin

On May 13, 2013, Mike_W from Sterling, MA wrote:

An wonderful plant! They seem to be very scattered in the wild and I've heard they can be very picky about where they grow. I had found one growing in the woods here in town several years back and did a little bit of research on what sort of growing conditions they like. I carefully dug up one of the plants, making sure to take a good portion of the soil beneath it, leaving the roots intact. I then planted it in a special spot in my yard that had similar if not exactly the same conditions as its original location. It is planted in dappled shade with ferns and hostas under a row of pines. In the wild it had been growing in just this sort of environment. It is now about 6 years later and my lady's slipper continues to thrive. In fact, it is actively flowering right now. I am very glad ... read more

On Dec 21, 2011, duncanroadfish from Hemby Bridge, NC wrote:

I live in zone 7b-8 and have tried this plant several times. I had some success with it one spring when I planted the fall before. I had nice bloom but the next year nothing, no foliage nothing. I wish I had just left them with the person I purchased them from and hey would have still been alive.

On Feb 3, 2006, raisedbedbob from Walkerton, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Like most folks I don't recommend transplanting this beautiful wildflower except under special circumstances; for instance, when the developers move in with bulldozers. Here's a technique my brother developed 30 years ago which seems to have worked:
Get a wooden bushel basket.
Invert it over a single plant if possible.
Mark the perimeter, and dig a hole as wide as the perimeter and as deep as the basket.
Now lift the plant, dirt and all, and put it in the basket.
Dig a hole as big and deep as the basket and put the plant + basket in it and water in. Mulch with pine straw and pray. His have lasted 30 years and multiplied.

On Aug 29, 2005, Neilp from Loves Park, IL wrote:

I have grown native orchids and in particular Cypripedium for several years now. Acaule to me is the gem of the North. When it is happy, it is truly prolific (300+ flowering stems in 1/4 Sq. Mi.). Unfortunately, that may be a thing of the past. One of the largest hurdles for our native orchids is cross pollination. Groups of plants become severed on their own little islands or preserved land. No new genes arrive, eventually leading to inbred lines and very poor seed production. If you are lucky enough to have these growing naturally on your property I might make a few suggestions: leave them alone, they are a lot tougher than they get credit for! Try thinning tree limbs overhead, the more indirect bright light, the more growth and flowers; and lastly, talk to a local orchid society, many o... read more

On Jun 24, 2005, gregr18 from Bridgewater, MA (Zone 6b) wrote:

A beautiful terrestrial orchid native to the eastern part of the US. These grow in shady pine forests in small clumps and can be seen flowering in May and June.

It is tempting to pick these orchids in the wild, but natural pollination rates are very low (10% according to the Massachusetts Wild Flower Society website) and the plant can be slow to propagate, so plants should be left undisturbed.

It is extremely difficult to transplant these orchids successfully, as their root systems are very fragile and they require the presence of mycorrhiza fungus in the soil to help with the absorption of nutrients. Early success with transplanting is no indication of the plants long-term survival, and plants usually die within 4 to 5 years after being transplanted. Thi... read more

On May 27, 2005, drivebytrucker from Menomonie, WI (Zone 4a) wrote:

I grow it with my pitcher plants (Sarracenia) and it seems to love the wet peaty soil. It has spread each year.

On Jul 7, 2004, sbragonier from Hope Valley, RI (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have been blessed with these beautys growing native on my small lot. I have set aside the area they like as a "no garden zone". 2004 count 40 plants 6 blooms

On Jun 1, 2004, nativenovice from Wells Bridge, NY wrote:

I live in upstate Ny and recently noted some new additions to my garden. I did not know what they were and so took some photos to ask other gardeners. Someone finally told me that it was called "Lady Slipper" and that is how I searched and found this page. "MY" Lady Slippers just appeared and are beautful. THere are 2 pairs in my garden. After hearing how endangered they are and how difficult to grow, I feel very blessed! I will upload photos soon.

On Mar 9, 2004, Todd_Boland from St. John's, NL (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is the very RARE form of the pink lady's-slipper. I found this plant growing among a patch of typical pink ones growing in Pippy Park, St. John's, Newfoundland. Cultivation is very difficult for pink lady's-slippers and the white form should be left where they are for others to enjoy.

On Jun 15, 2003, sudburyriver from Wayland, MA wrote:

It's a stunningly beautiful native plant in New England.
However, I've lost some due to a black leaf condition, mold or mildew, and have received mixed opinions on how to deal with it.

On Aug 19, 2002, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant prefers dry, acidic woods, typically on slopes or steep hillsides, and in sphagnum bogs.

On Jul 30, 2002, darius from So.App.Mtns.
United States (Zone 5b) wrote:

Showy bloom but often hidden in the woodland shade. Please do not dig from the wild. Mine was nursery propagated and does well in my shade garden.

On Apr 6, 2002, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Has a reputation for being difficult to grow; however one site suggests using only soft water (add a couple tablespoons of vinegar) when watering, and do not fertilize. A beautiful and endangered native plant.