Ranunculus, Persian Buttercup,Turban Buttercup, Persian Crowfoot
Ranunculus asiaticus

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ranunculus (ra-NUN-ku-lus) (Info)
Species: asiaticus (a-see-AT-ee-kus) (Info)

Bulbs

Harker Heights, Texas

Melissa, Texas

Spring, Texas

On Jan 4, 2014, eolivas103 from Las Cruces, NM (Zone 8a) wrote:

I had never even heard of this plant when I found one in a Walmart garden center and bought it for it's beauty. Little did I know how it would thrive. I have been growing them for 3 years and every year they come back more beautiful. One odd thing I found in this area though is they start growing leaves again in fall and stay green all Winter. In Spring, they flower and then die back in the heat of the summer. I mention the fact that they sprout in fall because I actually pulled some last year in the winter, thinking they were weeds. And love this flower, I do. I buy more varieties each year.

On Sep 30, 2012, PersianButtercups from Norfolk
United Kingdom wrote:

I am new to growing Persian Buttercups. In April I planted the tubers or bulbs and soon they grew tall and leafy, but it is almost October now and there isn't a single flower. When will they flower? On the advice I was given with the bulbs it said they'd flower late August / September... Any advice regarding this is most appreciated. I am in England, on the east coast which saw a lot of sunshine this year. In this part of England we are prone to droughts and high wind, even though the Persian Buttercups are in a fairly protected area on the patio. Thank you.

On Dec 31, 2009, femluc from Elizabethton, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

I grew these beauties from seed and had a wide variety of colors all mixed in together. They were very easy to grow and care for. I started them in a large flower pot on my covered deck and moved them into the sun as soon as they had a little size on them. Forgetting they were there, I went on vacation and found them waterlogged from a severe thunder storm when I returned. I emptied the excess water and tidied up the pot a bit and left them in the sun to dry out where they absolutely thrived. The colors were a variety of pale pink, lilac, rose and mauve, with even a little yellow sprinkled about. These flowers are easy to grow for even the beginning gardener.

On Jun 11, 2006, TwoPrincesses from Erie, PA wrote:

I found these really easy to grow. I got the bulbs at the dollar store and soaked them overnight. Some I planted in the ground and some in pots. The ones I started inside in pots are booming now and the ones I planted a few weeks later directly in the ground have come up also, just not blooming just yet. Beautiful Colors!!!

On Nov 14, 2005, JasperDale from Long Beach, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I have grown these in Long Beach, Ca. for years with great results. Because we have heavy clay soil, I start them by soaking tubers overnight in warm water. Next day , I plant them in saved 6 packs. After about 3 or 4 weeks they are ready to go in the ground to which I have added sand and organic matter for drainage.
They don't like wet feet!!! Mine are usually good until June. I don't bother saving the tubers...just buy new ones...they're cheap...

On May 1, 2005, TexasCarrie from Melissa, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

I overbought ranunculus bulbs 2 years ago and found they didn't grow in the area (St. Louis, MO), moved to TX and decided to give a couple bags of bulbs a try. I dug a small trench and just poured out the bulbs. I was pleasantly surprised that they came up despite sitting in my garage for 2 years. They have been blooming nonstop for 3 weeks. This fall I will only plant the doubles - but my original purchase from WalMart ($3 for a mixed color bag with single and doubles) was well worth it!

On Apr 13, 2004, yayaqueen from Harker Heights, TX wrote:

Here in central Texas, zone 8, I found this ranunculus in the local garden centers in late February (hot house grown obviously) and in full rose-like bloom. Gorgeous. I brought home 6 six-inch pots and transferred them into 2 of my front window boxes...each gets about 5 hours of full sun on the southern exposure. It's now late April and they all have been in bloom and repeat and repeat and repeat after deadheading nonstop since late Feb. They do not like much water...they will get leggy, wilt and fade too quickly. I only water a little bit once a week right now. Perfect! Great deal for the cost!

On Mar 17, 2004, eje from San Francisco, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

This is my third year growing Ranunculus. Saved tubers from last year and am hoping to do better this time. Without enough light they tend to get leggy and need support. However, they wilt when exposed to very much of our hot direct sun. Also a bit prone to downy mildew.

On Mar 17, 2004, youreit from Knights Landing, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

For some reason, I thought I heard these beauties were temperamental, but when I saw them in Home Depot on Sunday, I had to have them. They call these the Bloomingdale mix. They had so many two-tone colors to choose from, but I finally settled on these, with light pink-peach centers and darker mauve tips. I had read that they prefer full sun, however, with the temps already in the mid-80s F here [Sunset border of zones 8 & 14 in N. California], they started wilting on day 2 in the sun. I watered and moved them to part shade, and they wilted after 2 days again. I guess I'll just keep watering them every other day until either the weather cools off or one of us gives up.

On May 21, 2003, ign from Hayward, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I put a few of these in late last fall and they don't do well with being wet and cold. So started some in 4 inch pots. Then set them out when they were about 4 inches tall. Thanks to one of the wettest and coldest Aprils in a long while here in Northern CA, they are just now are really showing off.

On Jan 22, 2003, jkom51 from Oakland, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Spring is just starting here in zone 9 coastal Northern CA -- these new picotee (bi-colored) hybrid ranunculus have just entered the garden depts at Home Depot. Never liked ranunculus before but they certainly add a welcome jolt of bright color to the garden, with the perennials now cut back and only the osteospermums and magnolias in bloom. These new picotee hybrids are lovely and look more like a rose. Here in the West it is recommended they be dug up and stored over the summer to avoid irrigation which might cause rot.

On Apr 12, 2002, gardenwife from Newark, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

Native to East Mediterranean, Northeast Africa, Southwest Asia. Also known as Persian Buttercups. These are not hardy in areas colder than zones 7-9, so lift before first frost. These plants flower best when left undisturbed after planting.