Shooting Star Hoya, Wax Plant, Porcelain Flower

Hoya multiflora

Family: Asclepiadaceae (ass-kle-pee-ad-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hoya (HOY-a) (Info)
Species: multiflora (mul-tih-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Centrostemma multiflora
Synonym:Centrostemma platypetalum
Synonym:Hoya floribunda

USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

Pale Yellow

Blooms all year

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Rowland Heights, California

Saint Petersburg, Florida

Haiku, Hawaii

Kailua Kona, Hawaii (2 reports)

Naperville, Illinois

Humble, Texas

Mansfield, Texas

Plano, Texas

On Dec 13, 2009, allgr8dogs from Phoenix, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

I grow this plant in my classroom, in a North facing window. I water it once a week (except over Christmas break) and use the same fertilyzing program as with my African Violets. It bloom almost continuously. Another little bonus is that when raised inside the blossoms have drops of nectar that I let my students taste - now they know what hummingbirds like about nectar.

On Jul 18, 2007, tres_mal from Lawrence, KS (Zone 5b) wrote:

My plant is quite happy in a north-facing window in the summer and in the winter gets a regular, store-bought "plant light". I water every four or five days because if I don't the leaves will yellow and drop. It doesn't seem to mind water in the dish, either. It regrows quickly after a pruning (all those dropped leaves...) and roots easily in water. It also flowers quite freely, though I haven't noticed a scent. Quite easy to care for, as long as you remember to water it, and looks lovely trained on a trellis or trailing.

On Jun 19, 2006, MsKitty from Chowchilla, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

For those growing this as a houseplant in the Pacific Northwest, I have noticed it thrives in a west/southwest-facing window.

On May 30, 2004, PanamonCreel from Celaya
Mexico (Zone 10a) wrote:

Hoya multiflora, published 1823 by Blume in Catalogus. 49.
belongs to the Centrostemma group of Hoyas. Unofficially some place this species under the Genus of Centrostemma and not Hoya due to it's more or less shrubby growth and differing flowers.
Native to: China, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam.
Upright growth, often branching creating a shrubby look. Trim top if not branching. It is said that in the wild it has been seen growing vine like up trees.
Leaves are very thin and wavy around the edges.
Exudes thick milky white sap when cut or broken.
In general very easy to grow and flowers early on but is prone to "bud blast" if it dislikes growing conditions. May flower several times from same flowe... read more

On May 27, 2004, Gemila from Decatur, IN (Zone 5a) wrote:

I keep the soil to both my Hoya Multiflora & H. Multiflora variagated moist or at times sitting in a little bit of water. Mine are kept as indoor plants (zone 5). I keep mine out of drafts from the ac/heat vents otherwise I have noticed it will blast the buds. When ever I've let the plant dry out it drops its buds and has on occasion gotten brown tips on the leaves. They both are constant bloomers and I have not noticed any fragrance in the blooms.

On Apr 13, 2002, Floridian from Lutz, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Hoya multiflora’s native range is from the Philippines to Indonesia and west to Peninsular Malaysia. It has been given many common names, the most used being 'Shooting Star’ Hoya. It is very different from other species of Hoya for its bushy upright habit. A shrubby plant with thin, succulent leaves and clusters of yellow and white waxy flowers resemble shooting stars. A great Hoya for those with small areas. Some H multiflora have silver flecked leaves. Give this plant bright filtered light and a minimum temperature of 60 degrees. Let dry between waterings.