Cardwell Lily

Proiphys amboinensis

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Proiphys (PROY-fees) (Info)
Species: amboinensis (am-boy-NEN-sis) (Info)
Synonym:Eurycles amboinensis

Saint Petersburg, Florida

Corpus Christi, Texas

On Jun 4, 2008, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Adore the shape of the leaves. I must say, and was confirmed by one of my favorite vendors, Buried Treasures, squirrels LOVE these bulbs. In fact, of the 5-6 that I initually bought, only the one that was potted has survived. Bulbs planted inground have disappeared.

I sprinkled red pepper flakes around the plantings and it did not help. I have just bought a few more Cardwell lilies and when I plant them inground I will protect them w/ chicken wire cages. This plant is supposed to be hardy in z10 and higher. I am in 9a. I'll post here if they survive next winter

08/17/09 I have changed rating to positive. I am absolutely delighted this plant has come back. As of this writing, no blooms, but the oddly shaped foliage is more appealing to me anyway. I w... read more

On Jul 8, 2007, macybee from Deer Park, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

From Botanica Garden Encyclopedia:
Proiphys syn Eurycles
There are 3 species of perennial herbs in this genus from Australia and neighboring Southeast Asia. The plants are among the surprisingly few Australian bulbous plants; they are attractive sights with their glossy, almost evergreen leaves and white flowers borne in clusters on 18" tall stems in early summer. However, they are not cultivated widely even in their native region.
Cultivation: They need a tropical or subtropical climate and moist, well-drained soil in a lightly shaded spot. In frosty climates they do very well as a greenhouse pot plants. Propagate from seed or offsets.

Proiphys Amboinensis syns. Eurycles amboinensis, E sylvestris
The heart-shaped, almost evergreen leaves of this... read more