PlantFiles: Royal Poinciana, Flamboyant Tree, Flame Tree, Peacock Flower, Gulmohar
Delonix regia

Family: Caesalpiniaceae (ses-al-pin-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Delonix (dee-LON-iks) (Info)
Species: regia (REE-jee-uh) (Info)

Synonym:Caesalpinia regia
Synonym:Poinciana regia

Scarlet (Dark Red)
Orange
Red-Orange
Gold (Yellow-Orange)

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse
Scarify seed before sowing

Thumbnail #6 of Delonix regia by bermudiana

By bermudiana
Thumbnail #7 of Delonix regia by bermudiana

Positive danelady On Jun 1, 2013, danelady from Las Vegas, NV wrote:

Not very many plants that I look at are listed as growing in Las Vegas Nevada. However, I am an avid gardener who was raised in the San Fernando Valley in California and am determined to bring some green and color to my oasis in the desert.

I have been vacationing annually to Maui for the last 10 years or so and wanting to bring back garden treasures, but found agriculture inspections to be pretty strict. So, last year I decided to go on a hunt for seed ponds from various trees and plants that I thought I would l like to have to enrich my acre garden. After 2 weeks of having a blast collecting varies ponds with my sister I brought back several different types of seeds with a lot of hope that maybe some would spout and then maybe survive our extreme dry winds in spring, then our squelching heat in summer. The most relief is fall, which most plants need to survive our once again dry windy cold winters. Dry and windy are the key words that make it so difficult to grow here in Las Vegas. We certainly have a long enough growing season. But spring winds reek havoc on all new fragile sprouting growth and leave plants looking tattered by the time summer heat arrives.

Anyways, after collecting, bagging listing and taking pictures of seeds and the mature trees and plants I finally planted all of my specimens this spring 2013. The one I wanted to grow the most was a tree that had a huge canopy and red profuse flowers growing all over it. After research and comparing the pictures I took, I found the name of the tree to be Royal Poinciana or Delonix Regia. The seeds are rather large and very hard. So I decided to try the boil and soak method. Very simple - just boil some water, remove from heat, immediately add seeds (while water is hot) soak seeds over night and after water has cooled the next day plant seeds. Out of the 12 seeds I planted (I planted so many because I had little expectations of very many making it), 7 have spouted and are growing beautifully. The second set of leaves are ever so graceful and over 3 1/2 inches long, and have withstood some horrific winds we have recently had. Out of all of the seeds I collected I have had best results with these and after reading all the numerous posts from Dave's Garden I am sure I will have the most beautiful Royal Poinciana tree in my yard and be the envy of all my friends and neighbors here in Las Vegas.

I hope that next year I will be able to add some pictures and share some more information on this fabulous tree.

In the meantime when on vacation, take my advice and collect seeds and pods from plants and trees that you find of interest. It's not only fun, but a great way to bring back memories of your holiday for years to come.

Happy hunting.

Positive jpuras73 On Feb 27, 2013, jpuras73 from Palm Bay, FL wrote:

I am looking to buy a Yellow Royal Poinciana or Flamboyan Amarillo tree. It is my understanding that just because I have a seed from a royal poinciana tree, does not mean it will grow to be a yellow tree. Is this true?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jose

Neutral slickrjt On Oct 13, 2012, slickrjt from Tampa, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

To my surprise, this particular tree is incredibly easy to germinate from seed! Actually, it was too successful because now I have about 6 poincianas MORE than I want. I chose the two best performers and planted them in the ground (at 5 feet tall initially) at the end of spring.

Now...one frustrating part for me is the conflicting account of the growing zone! Some say 10a+, some say it does okay in 9b period, some say it does okay in 9b if it is in a "micro-climate". There seems to be no consensus.

Now, I've personally seen full grown, blooming specimens of this tree in South Tampa, which is close to the 9b/10a border, as well as North Tampa, in solid 9b territory, so I am relatively optimistic. So I am going to wait and hope for the best. This winter will be the test...

Positive Bethroot On Sep 2, 2012, Bethroot from Winter Park, FL wrote:

I am not a master gardner and this may be common knowledge but I wanted to share this in case anyone else is as clueless as I am.

I have tried for a year to start seedlings from my Poincia tree. After googling "scarify" I tried it and had zero luck. A friend with a green thumb simply took the seeds from a dried brown seed on the tree and stuck in the dirt. Didn't even bury it. We now have tons of them! Go figure.

Neutral panif On Aug 31, 2012, panif from nicosia
Cyprus wrote:

Flame trees grow really well here in Cyprus but following an unusually cold winter, our 3 year old (8 ft) tree started to produce leaves in Spring but then stopped and the leaves went brown and are falling off. The main trunk appears to still be alive but the branches seem dead. Anyone know of any way to save this poor tree - or is it terminal?

Positive Farvista On Jun 15, 2012, Farvista from Flower Mound, TX wrote:

I live in a suburb just north of the Dallas/Ft. Worth airport.
My soil isn't ideal for this plant (it tends to clay and alkaline) but it grows. In 2010, I planted this in a south-facing bed that's in front of a large window and next to a patio. They radiate a lot of heat in the summer, but even on the 100F + days, if it gets enough water, it seems perfectly happy. In the winter, that radiating saves it, I guess. That first winter was pretty cold for Texas. I cut the plant to the ground and mounded an entire bag of mulch on top of it, but when I saw it covered with ice and snow, I figured it was doomed. In spring, I uncovered it and waited. And waited. Eventually, I was rewarded with tiny new leaves. It's back this year too. It'll never get all that big, maybe 5' or so, before winter sets in, but the flowers are too nice to really care.

Positive johnchen99 On Mar 15, 2012, johnchen99 from Livermore, CA wrote:

Growing in Livermore, CA. Need a lot of protection for those days below 30 degrees.

Neutral Ottlit3 On Aug 18, 2011, Ottlit3 from Volente, TX wrote:

I have Caesalpinia pulcherrima not Delonix regia.

Positive GulfCoastJoe On May 2, 2011, GulfCoastJoe from Houston, TX wrote:

I had one that grew beautifully for the better part of 5 years. It was every bit of 15 feet tall with about that spread and around an 8 inch diameter, then we went down to 22 degrees. It actually began to come back from the trunk, but it finally gave up. It looks like it stayed a little too wet, a little too long at just the right/wrong time.

I may wait a year or two to see if we're done with the exaggerated lows.

Positive Goliadforever On Feb 18, 2011, Goliadforever from Bastrop, TX wrote:

Saw these trees in Miami at the horseshow grounds and fell in love. Could find nobody who could id them until last week. Something like 12 years later. Would like to try them here in Bastrop and see that there is a member who started some out of Red Rock. Which is just down the road. I would like seeds or plants. Can't wait to post my success story of this tree. The DERM people out of Florida, tell me that in order to produce blooms, the tree must have a dry spell. Our droughts ought to be right up the trees alley. Please, somebody help me bring em to Bastrop.

Positive sleeknight On Nov 1, 2010, sleeknight from San Antonio, TX wrote:

I purchased about 20 seeds on ebay for this tree in April of this year. I recently moved from Brownsville Texas to San Antonio Texas and wanted a tree like I had in Brownsville which was beautiful and had large orange flowers. I planted all the seeds in pods and everyone came up. I transplanted several (not all) in my back yard and near fence. I now have over 6' trees that are all beautiful. The weather here in winter concerns me since it gets colder here than in Brownsville. But, after reading all comments, I am going to mulch well and cover and hope they all make it through the winter. These trees are so tropical looking and have the most beautiful flowers I have ever seen. I clipped the lower branches so that I can edge around them and also it made them branch more at the top. I'm so excited to see such growth from seed in only six months. Hoping next year to see flowering.

Neutral KamKhaos On Aug 29, 2010, KamKhaos from Waynesville, GA wrote:

I really like these trees and my feedback is neutral only because I am not sure yet whether it will make it over the winter in my area.
I'm in SE Georgia (still zone 8). I brought a pod back from Jamaica and planted some of the seeds, of which two sprouted. These are over 2 ft tall now in pots. The time will inevitably come when they are too large to bring into the house overwinter. I know I'll have to plant them and hope for the best. I am somewhat encouraged by seeing some of your comments that it has survived mid-20s. In a bad winter here it will get a little colder than that. Is there any way to really protect this tree once it is 10ft or above? Losing branches is one thing, but losing the tree is what I'd like to avoid.

I like these and it would be a shame to lose them. They are certainly enjoying our hot summer here and growing rapidly.

Neutral jowben1 On Aug 26, 2010, jowben1 from Port Saint Lucie, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have one, 10' tall, 2 that are in pots, about 18" tall, and 2 more in the mail. Can anyone tell me how old they have to be to flower ??? I am in the Treasure Coast area of Florida,(Port Saint Lucie). Thanks for any info ......

Positive HolyChickin On Jul 28, 2010, HolyChickin from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

I am a S. Florida native and have seen these trees around my entire life. They are literally EVERYWHERE! Actually there is one down the street that is currently in full bloom... it is sooo pretty! I am tempted to walk down and pick up a seed pod off the sidewalk.

My parents had this tree in their back yard. I remember it being a bit messy when it bloomed (My sister and I did the clean up) but, it did not matter because our yard had a carpet of ORANGE!! I remember the wind blowing and it would shower flowers. It blooms a couple of times a year and every time, it was breathtaking! Not only that but it attracts a LOT of butterflies! Can't tell you how many backyard picnics my sister and I had under that tree.

The only drawback is the branches are a little brittle so it does drop them often. I wouldn't plant a tree like this in my front yard where cars are parked. The seed pods are a couple of inches long and are very hard... kids in our neigborhood used to use them as play swords. Imagine a wooden "sword" falling several feet down on a nice paint job... yeah, not good.

One thing though, never seen any of these trees blown over in a hurricane (maybe during Andrew... but then again, there wasn't much left standing after that storm). They may be brittle up top but have very strong roots.

Positive berachahvalley On Jun 3, 2010, berachahvalley from Red Rock, TX wrote:

I received 6 of these seeds in 2004 and misplaced them. Last May 2009 I found them and figured I'd pop em in a container for the heck of it. I was so shocked that they all came up! They grew 8-12 inches and lost all their leaves in the winter. Our winters are usually no lower than the 30's for a couple days at a time and then back in the 60's for the most part. They shouldn't really survive here. I left the pot outside all winter and it was unusually frigid with a few nights getting down in the single digits and seeming to stay cold far past the norm. I almost tossed the pot a couple weeks ago because we are well into our growing season with veggies ready for picking and flowers in bloom for 4 months. So glad I didn't because 5 of the 6 are now covered in leaves and reaching for the sky. I'll individually pot them this weekend and even if they don't make it through the coming winter they have delighted and amazed me with their resilence.

Positive Kiyzersoze On May 26, 2010, Kiyzersoze from Coral Springs, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

Easy to start from seed. Nick the seed coating and soak overnight in warm water before planting for faster germination.

Positive Hillibeen On Oct 16, 2009, Hillibeen from Farnborough, Hampshire
United Kingdom wrote:

Three years ago I brought some seed pods of the Flame Tree back from Cuba. This summer I planted two seeds in the greehouse. They both grew, but one seedling was eaten by mice. The other succeeded and it is now eighteen inches tall. In late September some of the leaves turned yellow and fell off when I touched them. I have now brought my baby tree into the kitchen and it stands by a South facing window. I am a bit concerned that it is dying (knowing nothing about the growing and care of this tree) as I thought they only shed their leaves in times of drought. I have now read that they are deciduous. Can the seeds be planted any time of the year? Do they require special compost/feeding? Any advice would be most welcome.

Positive seatick On Jul 24, 2009, seatick from Fruitland Park, FL wrote:

Thirty years ago I found myself on an unexpected trip to Ft. Myers, Florida. It just so happened this trip coincided with the time of the year that the Royal Poincianas bloom. It was absolutely breathtaking to top an over pass or bridge when coming into town and the Poincianas could be seen across the city in full bloom. I fell in love with them and was determined I would have one of my own here in Central Florida (area of The Villages).

Last month I took a trip to Naples, Florida, and the Poincianas were in bloom and once again, it rekindled my love affair I had with them all those years ago.

But as far as success with growing them in this area? Not to be....I had one that grew to around 25 ft. during the past few relatively warm winters, then last winter it succumbed to our low temps in the 20's.

Guess I will just have to move south!!

Positive BayAreaTropics On Jan 18, 2009, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

On January 1st 2009,I sowed seed from Florida here at home in Hayward ca and on January 18,2009 they have begun to sprout.
Like many fast growing soft leafed tropicals that grow here I expect a future planting to have some frost damage every other year,but still go forward every summer.
I don't think they have ever been grown here in the bay area..will keep you informed as they progress outdoors.

Positive eliasastro On Nov 14, 2008, eliasastro from Athens
Greece (Zone 10a) wrote:

Very fast growing.
Though it can survive some upper 20's, large branches can be lost, so it is better to be protected from freezing temperatures.

Positive fairywings3 On May 4, 2008, fairywings3 from Newcastle
Australia wrote:

I have just recently planted a poinciana in my front garden... so too has my son who lives two doors down from me... these trees are everywhere in Queensland and are stunning....I live in Newcastle NSW.... I know of two mature ones in my area which are growing well.... I have always wanted one and have never known any nurseries in my area to sell them, until now...maybe it is global warming....our climate here has changed.....hence my purchase.... my sister has also planted two in her front garden...All our trees are doing well at the moment but we are just starting to come into winter....I suppose they will defoliate as the two established ones do....However, they certainly burst forth when the weather warms up and are truely magnificent....

Neutral captan On Apr 2, 2008, captan from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

I live in the Ft. Lauderdale area, and recently planted a royal poinciana in my front yard. Within 45 days it lost every leaf. I also noticed that there were several large mature royals in the neighborhood that have also lost all their leaves, which makes me believe they are dormant.

Positive lauraroxie On Jan 22, 2008, lauraroxie from Saint Petersburg, FL wrote:

St. Petersburg, Florida (zone 9b): Good news after a relatively low night of temps. I have a 4 foot tall new plant in the ground. the base is less than an inch thick and thought I would lose it this month. Temps hit a low of 26 degrees and my poinciana isn't showing a bit of damage and in fact, has put forth new leaves in the 3 weeks since. Fingers crossed.

Neutral Dazzer On Oct 7, 2006, Dazzer from Winchester
United Kingdom wrote:

I live in the south of England and managed to grow a Royal Poinciana from a seed pod I brought back from Australia. I did not think I would succeed! It's currently in a pot in my conservatory. It is approximately 4 feet tall at two years.

I put it outside in the hotter summer months (June to September) but dare not risk it outside during the other months as I am not sure whether it will survive the cold. I believe we are a Zone 8.

Neutral reesieo10 On Sep 22, 2006, reesieo10 from Zephyrhills, FL wrote:

I planted my royal poincianna tree in the spring of this year. It is presently doing well. The tree has grown from 4 ft to approximately 6 ft. It has spread more horizontally than vertically with three branches which are about 10 inches from the base of the trunk and extend 4-5 ft horizontally. I am not sure whether or not I should prune the two side branches or let them be.

I live in Zephyr Hills, Florida (zone 9) and purchased this tree from a nursery that claimed that it thrives in this zone. I am concerned because it gets down to freezing temps here( high 20's-low 30's). I bought the tree without researching first. I was enamored with the beauty of the tree.

Positive FloridaGrower On Feb 6, 2006, FloridaGrower from Winter Springs, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I recently came back from a trip to Puerto Rico, and this beautiful tree was all over the island. Although it was not blooming, its architectural appearance was quite stunning, with an japanese wind swept bonsai look. Its branches extend very far out from the trunk, and the leaves are very delicate looking. One of the homes I visited in aguadilla, contained several trees arranged in such a way, as to stuck an almost mystical view...this has become one of my favorites, known also to the people of P.R. as the Flamboyan tree.
Must be under a large one to truly appreciate this stunner....

Positive artcons On Mar 8, 2005, artcons from Fort Lauderdale, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

When we moved into this house we had two fully grown Royal Poinciana plants on the property. They were planted too close to the utility lines on the east border so we cut them down. I was not able to replant until two years ago when we put our incoming utility lines underground. I purchased mine from a nursery. It was ten feet tall, including the pot. Two years later it's over 25 feet tall and it generates the shade I was looking for to plant non full sun plants (the sun is very strong here.) In this neighborhood about every third house has one. Most are very large, probably in the 40-foot and taller range. Here they bloom from late spring through late fall. When in bloom the neighborhood looks terrific. They drop lots of flowers and in the winter months the tiny leaflets do blow into the pool. One of my neighbors told me in the Philippines they make candy out of the large seed pods. The trees are easy to climb so the grandchildren get a big kick out of them.

I recently uploaded a picture of my young tree beginning its bloom cycle. The pic has an inset showing the beautiful orchid-like flowers.

Neutral Josette On Sep 2, 2004, Josette from Henderson, TX wrote:

I acquired some of this seed (looks like a large bean) and now have 12 plants up which are about 5 inches tall. I live in East Texas and I know that they may not live here but I have to try. I am planning on putting them out next week (first of September) in full sun.

Neutral greeneyed_doll On Jul 28, 2004, greeneyed_doll from Arlington, TN wrote:

I was researching how to grow these magnificient trees and found a website that says that they "usually will not bloom in pots." Also I read that they need regular watering to establish the tree, but once established it blooms best when it undergoes drought through the winter months. I recently went to Antigua, West Indies (incredible place) and I fell in love, not only with the island, but with the flamboyant tree. It was my first time to go out of the USA and my first major vacation ever. I am ruined. I live in Tennessee near Memphis and I have some seeds of this tree and I am going to try and grow one just for fun.

Positive kathyinaz On Jul 25, 2004, kathyinaz from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

At a traffic roundabout right outside the city walls of Rabat, Morocco, there is a huge flame-tree. The flame tree blooms a little bit after the jacaranda.
The city walls are ochre, and there are roses and some succulents, and a lawn planted between the wall and the sidewalk. Magenta bougainvilla tumbles from the walls. The sky is bright blue, the lavender-blue of the jacaranda, then the orange-red of the flame tree.
With all the wonderful sights in Rabat, it's easy to take that intersection for granted. I never took a photo of it. But it's one visual memory that has stayed with me long since leaving Morocco.

Positive foodiesleuth On Jun 20, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

This tree grows very well in Cuba, where I was born, and we called it a flamboyan (from the word flamboyant), which it certainly is when all covered in blooms.

It grows well here in Hawaii also and I look forward to seeing it in full bloom every year.

At one time in our lives, we lived on a small island, just south of Cuba for a couple of years.....the name of the island at the time (before the government changed it to the Isle of Youth) was the Isle of Pines due to the prolific pines that grew all over the little island...

We lived on a piece of property called Casa Maana, right on the banks of the New Gerona River - near the mouth......
The place must have had at least a dozen Royal Poincianas planted around the yard.....I remember in late afternoons, when the sun was going down, how the light was diffused by the filtering of the sun rays on the trees and how it also reflected on the flame colored petals that carpeted the ground all around the trees and also on the surface of the river........giving the whole yard the feeling of being engulfed in light "friendly" orange flames.....It was absolutely magical.

Neutral spaceman_spiff On Jun 19, 2004, spaceman_spiff from Saint Petersburg, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I live in St. Petersburg, FL, and just got back from a trip to Key West, FL, where these trees are blooming all over the place. Simply beautiful! From the top of the Key West lighthouse, many of the trees could be seen all over town. As fate would have it, I was walking down a street when a large truck passed by, and the top of the truck hit some low-hanging branches of one of these trees, knocking down a couple of seed pods. I've brought them home and am going to try to start some seedlings. I read the previous comment from someone about a former tree in the St. Petersburg area that froze one year, so I'll have to be careful not to let my seedlings/trees freeze (if the seeds sprout!) I am thinking of trying to grow one in a large "patio pot."

Positive Jamespayne On Apr 23, 2004, Jamespayne from Sebring, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I was fortunate to live and work in growing zone 11 several years ago. I could not wait for the middle of June to arrive to see all of the Royal Poinciana's in full bloom!! They were never late or lacked in abudnance in their blooming.

Positive Monocromatico On Jan 21, 2004, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

This tree gets into full bloom on late spring/early summer. Larger trees are simply striking, covered with red flowers. Each tree has a unique shape, it never gets boring looking at them, even if they are not blooming

This is a great shade tree, and the branches grow horizontally, sometimes growing downwards, making even older trees actually short, but greatly wide. However, this is a tree that should be kept at a distance from houses, walls, any kind of pavements because of its expansive and superficial roots.

Positive suncatcheracres On Sep 20, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I lived in St. Petersburg, Florida, zone 9b, for ten years, and our neighbors across the street had a beautiful, large Royal Poinciana tree in the center of their front yard, with a circular driveway around it. It was simply a delight to look out at that tree from my living room windows, especially when it was in full bloom. But the tree has a graceful, arching, rather horizontal branching habit with airy leaflets and is quite attractive even when not in bloom.

Although that tree was at least twenty to thirty feet tall, and they could park their cars underneath it, unfortunately we had a very late freeze on March 1st one Spring, and the temperature went down to 18F degrees, and the tree was killed. Their yard never looked the same! They planted a pretty Jacaranda tree, which has purple flowers, and is more hardy, but we all loved that Royal Poinciana, and if I lived in an area where they would survive I would plant lots of them.

Positive Chamma On May 19, 2003, Chamma from Tennille, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is an extremely fast growing tree in zone 11. It makes a wonderful shade tree and they are used alot in landscaping alongside the highways here in the UAE. They are striking in May/June when they are in full bloom with red and orange flowers.

Grenoble,
Boca Raton, Florida
Bonita Springs, Florida
Bradenton, Florida
Cape Coral, Florida
Fort Lauderdale, Florida (4 reports)
Homestead, Florida
Loxahatchee, Florida
Marathon, Florida
Melbourne, Florida
Mulberry, Florida
Naples, Florida (2 reports)
Ocoee, Florida
Port Charlotte, Florida
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Saint James City, Florida
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Sarasota, Florida (2 reports)
Tampa, Florida
Tarpon Springs, Florida
Vero Beach, Florida
West Palm Beach, Florida (2 reports)
Winter Park, Florida (2 reports)
Zephyrhills, Florida
Boqueron, Puerto Rico
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Ponce, Puerto Rico
Sabana Grande, Puerto Rico
San Juan, Puerto Rico (3 reports)
Vieques, Puerto Rico
Westmoreland, Tennessee
Brownsville, Texas (3 reports)
Conroe, Texas