Are you up for a fun new challenge? Join our 2015 Grow-Along Challenge: Squash Wars and let's see how many new varieties we can grow this year!

PlantFiles: Anemone Clematis, Small-flowered Montana Clematis
Clematis montana 'Elizabeth'

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clematis (KLEM-uh-tiss) (Info)
Species: montana (MON-tah-nuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Elizabeth
Additional cultivar information: (aka Elisabeth)
Hybridized by Jackman; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1958

By DebinSC
Thumbnail #4 of Clematis montana by DebinSC

By sueone
Thumbnail #5 of Clematis montana by sueone

Neutral sladeofsky On Jan 17, 2015, sladeofsky from Louisville, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I had a lovely Elizabeth, but I did have some problems. I read that the Montanas should be pruned to shape. I did not prune mine as I was fine with its natural form. It took several years to bloom and when it did they were all at the top of my house. Way too high to appreciate. I'm assuming that I actually needed to prune some vines lower down to encourage fuller flowering? Please advise. A word of warning: I pruned mine hard to about 3 ft and it died. I was stunned! I had no idea that such a vigorous plant would just disappear. So, I advise against heavy pruning. It's probably best to lightly prune throughout its growth cycle, but after flowering. I do know that it takes the previous year's growing season to produce the buds that will open in Spring. So don't prune before flowering or too long after to give it the time it needs to flower. I think my problem is that I may have pruned it below the lowest bud and that it simply wasn't able to produce new ones quickly enough to live.

Positive SabraKhan On Jun 11, 2010, SabraKhan from Tiverton, RI (Zone 6b) wrote:

Have had Clematis montana 'Elizabeth' for many years now. The trunk has become quite thick. A cloud of light pink every spring smothering my lamp post. Very fragrant of vanilla or baby powder. Needs to be pruned regularly to keep it in bounds and flowering this profusely.

Neutral mystic On Jan 3, 2005, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Awarded RHS Award of Garden Merit in 1993.

Positive CanadaGoose On Mar 19, 2003, CanadaGoose from Oakville, ON (Zone 5b) wrote:

Charming pale pink clematis. Flowers abundantly on previous year's growth. Lovely vanilla scent. Prune immediately after flowering (take cuttings at same time if required) but do not prune hard. Will grow quite large.

Please note that this clematis flowers in mid Spring.

Louisville, Kentucky