PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Riesentraube'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Riesentraube

Thumbnail #3 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by LenaBeanNZ

By dorisv
Thumbnail #4 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by dorisv

Negative MustafaMc On Jul 11, 2011, MustafaMc from Leland, MS wrote:

I grew 2 plants and initially I was excited about the abundance of blooms. The problem was that very few of these blooms set fruit and the yield was quite low. The taste was only fair to me as well.

Positive lascal1 On Apr 19, 2011, lascal1 from Taipei
Taiwan wrote:

Very prolific. I'm satisfied with my crop in 2009 and 2010.
I will grow this again also in this year.

Positive ChiTown On Sep 29, 2009, ChiTown from Chicago, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is the first year that I grow Riesentraube, and of the five different cherry tomatoes I've tried this year, this one is tops. It's as tasty as the best cherry tomatoes, prolific and disease resistant. Next year, this will be the only cherry tomato I bother with.

This summer in Chicago has been the worst I've seen for tomatoes - cloudy, rainy, no hot weather. My single Riesentraube is bigger, has more tomatoes, and has ripened more and earlier than any of the other cherries. And they are delicious when fully ripe.

There is a place for cherry tomatoes. I grow them on a 6-foot cyclone fence that adjoins a public alley. I tell my neighbors that if it's on their side, it's theirs. Cherry tomatoes are a continual treat for passersby; big attractive green tomatoes would immediately end up in someone's frying pan.

Positive saanansandy On Aug 30, 2009, saanansandy from Sue, RI (Zone 6a) wrote:

I've been growing this tomato from seed for the past three years. Every year it has produced excellent results: heavy producer, disease tolerant, and excellent flavor. Will continue to grow in future years.

Neutral rebecca101 On Mar 15, 2008, rebecca101 from Madison, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

A very abundant cherry tomato. The plant is absolutely gigantic, and sets 100s (maybe 1000s?) of blossoms in large clusters. Tons of little tomatoes which have a small point on the blossom end. They are advertised as "tasting like a beefsteak," but I find that to be far from the truth. I admit they're better tasting than other cherries - at least I don't have the urge to spit these out once they're in my mouth (I generally can't stand cherry tomatoes). Flavor is nothing to get excited over though. I would personally not grow them again, thus the neutral rating. If you like cherry tomatoes though this would definitely be one to grow.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 3, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Riesentraube translates "giant bunch of grapes". This European heirloom has been grown by Pennsylvania Dutch since around 1856.

Positive Art_Vandelay On Aug 3, 2005, Art_Vandelay from Riverside, IL wrote:

Im 23 years old and this season I started my first garden. I am a big fan of tomatoes; I dont know if it is because I am Italian or if theyre just that good! I started a few different varieties. The Riesentraube tomatoes grew excellent; I am in Chicago and we had an exceptionally sunny & hot summer so far. The plant is getting about 6-8 hours of direct sun and plenty of water. I have a flower garden branching off my fruits and vegetables, I planted a lot of butterfly, hummingbird and bee attracting plants in the garden to help polination. I was a big fan of using Roma Tomatoes; but after I tried these I dont think I want to go back. Theyre a little bigger than cherry tomatoes and slightly longer. The taste was astounding, and the texture was hearty. I would say you get all the flavor of a beefsteak packed into a tomato the size of a large concorde grape.

Neutral Farmerdill On Dec 16, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have tried this one. In my experience it was an ordinary red cherry tomato. It performed o.k. but nowhere near as prolific as modern hybrids. Flavor is nothing to write home about.

La Jolla, California
Mountain View, California
Oceanside, California
Redwood City, California
Clinton, Connecticut
Arabi, Georgia
Augusta, Georgia
Thunderbolt, Georgia
Chicago, Illinois (2 reports)
North Riverside, Illinois