Southern Magnolia
Magnolia grandiflora 'Edith Bogue'

Family: Magnoliaceae
Genus: Magnolia (mag-NO-lee-a) (Info)
Species: grandiflora (gran-dih-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Edith Bogue

over 40 ft. (12 m)

From hardwood cuttings

By grafting

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Grand Junction, Colorado

Wynnewood, Pennsylvania

Roanoke, Virginia

Suffolk, Virginia

On Oct 30, 2014, rose_gardenmom from Boise, ID wrote:

Has been reliably winter-hardy here, with one big caveat: a couple of years we almost lost it during prolonged winter dry spells, when the sprinklers are turned off and we tend to not think about watering. Fortunately my husband noticed the suffering leaves in time to rescue it! The first several years, we were careful to go out and brush off heavy snow to keep the overloaded branches from breaking. The flowers are beautiful and smell amazing, but tend to brown out quickly on super-hot days. We enjoy the unique seedpods. This year (ca. 20 years after purchasing by mail from Wayside Gardens) is the first time it has actually produced seeds.

On Jan 23, 2014, northernexotics from Guelph, Ontario

Hardy ( so far) to minus 32C in Guelph, Ontario Canada. Established 3 years in well draining, acidic soil slightly raised planting bed. Protected from North West winter winds by house 10 metres (30 feet) away from "Edith", 4 metres high, now filling out from bottom of trunk to form typical pyramid shape. Flowered first time last year in her 3rd year since planted. ( Beauties!) . I think key to success is a good watering with lukewarm water around the drip line anytime temperature is above freezing in the winter. Moisture gets to surface feeder roots and prevents leaf desiccation from wind and strong winter/late winter/early spring sun. I am also having similar success with Magnolia virginiana "Porcelain Dove", M. "Moonglow", and Franklinia alamataha ( kept in bush form close to hous... read more

On May 30, 2012, Michael_Ronayne from Nutley, NJ (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have both an Edith Bogue and Bracken's Brown Beauty Magnolia grandiflora in the front yard on my Zone 6B Nutley NJ garden. There are no sidewalks on my block and I am using the Magnolia grandiflora as street trees.

The original Edith Bogue is in Montclair NJ , a few miles from my home and continues to do will at 92 plus years of age. You can view my report and photographs of the original Edith Bogue in the following Wiki:

The House that Lives

Mike

On Apr 6, 2011, SusieR from Springfield, IL (Zone 6a) wrote:

I love, love, LOVE this tree!!! I've had it for about 5 years (or more) now and it is my favorite tree that I'm able to grow in this zone. I miss my crepe myrtles from Maryland (mine doesn't get big here) and this is the next best thing because it grows beautifully, is an evergreen, and has STUNNING flowers that seem to last forever! I want to plant another one of these but may try a 'Bracken Brown' as my next magnolia. One of the best things about this tree is that frost doesn't kill the flowers like it does on some other 'saucer' and 'tulip' magnolias. Did I say I LOVE this tree???? Purchased it locally from Tripp Nursery in Springfield, IL - 217.529.7289.

On Jul 6, 2009, fel from Wynnewood, PA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Gorgeous tree. We use it to screen a somewhat busy street. Everyone comments on how beautiful it is. It is about 11 years old, and over 2 stories tall. It flowers all summer, and the flowers are fragrant.

On Jan 19, 2009, braun06 from Peoria Heights, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

On May 31, 2008, nikeguy1618 from Frankfort, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

I just bought a DD Blanchard and Edith Bogue Southern Magnolia from Plant Land Garden Center in Breese, IL. Its about 40 east of St. Louis. They had quite a few mags for fair price. Good to know for us N. Illinoisans trying to find S Mags not to far away.

On Jun 5, 2003, corrales from Arvada, CO wrote:

The NYT of 06/04/03 has a rare plants story featuring this plant, saying it is hardy to Boston.

On May 2, 2002, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

One of the most cold-hardy cultivars