Polyantha Rose, Shrub Rose, Earth Kind™
Rosa 'The Fairy'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: The Fairy
Additional cultivar information:(aka Perle Rose)
Hybridized by Bentall
Registered or introduced: 1932

Class:

Polyantha

Shrub

USDA Zone 4a: to -34.4 °C (-30 °F)

USDA Zone 4b: to -31.6 °C (-25 °F)

USDA Zone 5a: to -28.8 °C (-20 °F)

USDA Zone 5b: to -26.1 °C (-15 °F)

USDA Zone 6a: to -23.3 °C (-10 °F)

USDA Zone 6b: to -20.5 °C (-5 °F)

USDA Zone 7a: to -17.7 °C (0 °F)

USDA Zone 7b: to -14.9 °C (5 °F)

USDA Zone 8a: to -12.2 °C (10 °F)

USDA Zone 8b: to -9.4 °C (15 °F)

USDA Zone 9a: to -6.6 °C (20 °F)

USDA Zone 9b: to -3.8 °C (25 °F)

Light pink (lp)

Bloom Shape:

Double

Flower Fragrance:

Slightly Fragrant

Habit:

Shrub

Can be trained as a standard or tree form

Other Details:

Shade-tolerant

Resistant to black spot

Resistant to mildew

Resistant to rust

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Logansport, Indiana

Petersburg, Indiana

Valparaiso, Indiana

Saint Marys, Kansas

Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2 reports)

Coushatta, Louisiana

Rowley, Massachusetts

Gobles, Michigan

Lake Park, Minnesota

Maben, Mississippi

Jefferson City, Missouri (2 reports)

Kansas City, Missouri

Katy, Texas

Killeen, Texas

Kurten, Texas

Portland, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)

Seminole, Texas

Spring, Texas

Merrimac, Wisconsin

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

On May 13, 2014, krainieri from Putnam Valley, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have 3 in my tough part shade garden, soil was amended at planting but is not the best (clay). They are thriving! No diseases, flower all summer, beautiful rose. Occasionally the deer nibble but I have very high deer density so they are not their first choice, and I have had no severe browsing damage. I highly recommend.

On Mar 28, 2013, AmyInNH from Brookline, NH wrote:

Love, love, love these. I have acidic, sandy soil with 12 or more hours of sun. Put these in the front yard (no shade), planted with Espoma BioTone to get them off and running and they've been blooming their little guts out. Fabulous!

On Mar 11, 2012, Hyblaean from Niles, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

This was one of my favorite roses until it got witch's broom. Now I'm left having to clear the fence of it and all other roses like it (which were quickly infected). Ouch, both emotionally and because of all the thorns.
------------
edited to add: 2 plants bought at Menards took over the entire corner of our yard in less than 5 years. They were stunning before they became diseased. Diseased they also infected our Ballerina, which was quickly taking over another corner and is no where near the Fairy. Knowing what I know now, I probably will not plant another R. multiflora in our yard, even after I give the disease time to abate. Burned once...

On Jan 4, 2012, shopshops from Joshua, TX wrote:

I have to agree with the other posts on here that this is one fantastic rose. It spreads beautifully!. Bought mine as a bare root plant from a bargain online nursery. It is now three years old and thrives beautifully here in drought stricken north Texas.
Blooms turn white in the Texas heat, but the pink colour is present in spring and fall. I have seen this plant bloom in early winter. Gorgeous foliage. Mine grows near to my garden hose, so it is often wet. In three years since planting have had no problems with blackspot. I do not spray any of my roses. A great plant for a busy mom or retiree . Very hassle free. Would look perfect lining a drive way or in a cottage garden.

On Apr 13, 2011, chgogardennut from Chicago, IL wrote:

This was my first experience with roses and it has survive me! It has survived numerous Chicago winters with no protection what so ever! I had no problems with it. I originally planted it in a semi-shaded area and it did ok. Transplanted it to a full sun area and it took off! It blooms all summer long! I love this rose bush!

On Sep 20, 2010, anelson77 from Seattle, WA wrote:

Here in Seattle this rose will naturalize, tolerating complete neglect, and part shade, with no diseases. It will flower continuously from June until frost. Give it room.

On Jun 6, 2010, BevGuy from Naples, FL wrote:

I have a cottage near Kingston, Ontario, Canada and have successfully over-wintered my fairy rose without any undo protection last fall. It is a prolific, lovely bloomer and I am thrilled. I tried to buy another one this spring but my local nursery was sold out. They sell the rose as an ANNUAL! Bev

On May 18, 2009, SW_gardener from (Zone 6a) wrote:

I love this rose! First year I got it, it came in a peat pot which it flowered in almost all summer (see photo)! Afterwards I planted in part shade since my garden was seriously lacking in full sun. However we recently moved and I brought it with me and it has taken off this year being its first spring in full glorious sun! It's making tons of new canes and I can't wait to see it bloom again!

On Apr 7, 2009, Bairie from Corpus Christi, TX (Zone 10a) wrote:

I had about 20 lining my driveway and they were always in bloom.
One year some of them had thrips, but after I cut them back they came back without the thrips. Never saw them again. I've moved and have only one, but am eager to get some more started.

On Mar 2, 2009, billy13 from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Profuse full light pink blooms all over plant most of the year in zone 9a. Very hardy and thorny. I have never seen a better producer. Watch for black spot.

On Feb 1, 2008, cactuspatch from Alamogordo, NM (Zone 7b) wrote:

This rose is small and delicate looking, but like others have mentioned it is very hardy. It blooms a lovely pink that fades in my desert sun. It does well in partial shade here. I had some ground cover try to choke it. I was happy to see that the Fairy just sent out a runner about 3 feet away. That runner, came back and bloomed the next year as nicely as the original had done. So even though I lost the original one, I was not even one growing season without the lovely Fairy blooming. And yes, I am more diligent about keeping the ground covers away from its roots.

On Mar 10, 2007, terrybizz from Gillett, PA wrote:

I grew this rose for years at the Jersey Shore. I had a group of 8 that lined a sandy bank as a ground cover. The soil was poor, but they bloomed their heads off, anyway. I now live in farm country in the mountains of Pennsylvania. I plan on planting a group this spring here, too.Far colder here. I'm hoping it does as well.. Terry

On Feb 19, 2007, soulgardenlove from Marietta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I found this lovely rose at a big box store. It looks so dainty.. nice addition to my garden.

From HGTV.com's list of carefree roses by Mary C. Weaver:
'The Fairy': With a name like that, you might think 'The Fairy' delicate. Don't let this polyantha's diminutive, cupped double pink blooms fool you: this plant is nearly indestructible. Introduced in 1932 by Ann Bentall of England, one of the few female hybridizers in the rose world, 'The Fairy' begins blooming somewhat late in the season but keeps on going into fall. Clusters of blooms form along the entire length of the shrub's prickly canes. The foliage is tiny, medium-green, glossy and disease-resistant. If you live in a warm climate, make sure 'The Fairy' gets some afternoon shade--the soft-pink flowers will fad... read more

On Jan 2, 2007, mairenn from Monroe, GA wrote:

I am nursing two in black pots on my front porch, facing southwest, so they get plenty of heat but not as much sun as they would like, and probably not enough air circulation. They are tougher than nails; I forget to water, they defoliate and then start over. They just keep getting bigger, and they bloom pretty much constantly whenever I am remembering to water. The blooms are white all summer, pink in spring and fall.

I do have major trouble with powdery mildew, though! Anybody else see this in The Fairy?

Waiting to see if they will stop getting sick when I put them in the ground in full sun.

On Jul 5, 2006, Meig from Far Northwest 'burbs, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is an awesome rose. However, I am starting to believe that different companies are breeding different strains of this rose.

I have two from Weeks Roses that are doing very, very poorly. All of my others are from Jackson & Perkins and are wonderful growers and absolutely blooming machines. Up until last year, all of my fairies were from J&P and all of them are excellent. The ones from Weeks were planted last year and are just not doing anywhere nearly as well as the J&P. I will not purchase any more Weeks stock, that's for sure.

ETA on June 5, 2008: ETA on June 5, 2008: Don't bother purchasing any of these unless you are getting the Jackson & Perkins cultivars. I made the mistake of getting some propagated by Weeks Roses, and they were just that...w... read more

On Jan 28, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

A neighbor had this and did not want it any more, so gave it to me. It was large and needed pruning to get the dead out. I just cut it all the way back, planted and watered it, and by spring (he gave it to me in late summer/early fall) it was growing and blooming. The blooms tend to take on a faded look quickly in hot weather. It does much better with cooler temperatures.

On Jul 7, 2005, KillerChihuahua from Merritt Island, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Fabulous rose. Mine blooms almost continuously most of the year, and the foliage is so pretty.

On May 21, 2005, Ladyfern from Jeffersonville, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is certainly a lovely rose, but it is much more vigorous than I'd anticipated. It has sent out long canes that root wherever they touch the ground. In one year it has spread 6' in all directions! I love the flowers and the disease resistance, but will have to find a different place for it--a bed it is free to take over. When I pruned it back this morning, I dug up and potted 18 rooted sections. Anybody want a plant?!

On Jan 29, 2005, JodyC from Palmyra, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Shade Tolerant. Disease susceptibility: Disease resistant

On Jun 19, 2003, carolann from Auburn, NH wrote:

Fantastic rose bush - hard to find roses that do well here in z5. This one is exceptional. We have several bushes planted strategically in sunny spots in our yard, and they never cease to amaze us. Lovely baby pink blooms, reminds me of Cape Cod summers.

On Jan 26, 2003, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

‘Paul Crampel’ x R. ‘Lady Gay’ (Bentall 1932)

On Jan 10, 2003, Kathkc from East Falmouth, MA (Zone 7a) wrote:

You can always count on the Fairy to be in bloom. I use organic methods and never have had a problem with black spot, but I have had to hand pick those pesky Japanes Beetles from the flowers.

On Jul 12, 2002, boyne4 from Boyne City, MI (Zone 4b) wrote:

This rose is the hardyest in my garden with no bugs or disease, and blooms with dozens of flowers at a time.

On May 3, 2002, WingedJewel wrote:

Grown in full sun has gotten taller than my chain link fence. Puts on a wonderful display of flowers in the spring. It is a rose I would recommend to someone who wants roses without having to continuously spray for diseases.