Flowering Tobacco
Nicotiana x sanderae 'Fragrant Cloud'

Genus: Nicotiana (nih-ko-she-AH-na) (Info)
Species: x sanderae (SAN-der-ay) (Info)
Cultivar: Fragrant Cloud

Tyler, Texas

Stafford, Virginia

North Sultan, Washington

On Feb 4, 2010, gourdobean from Minden, NV wrote:

I grew Nicotiana 'fragrant cloud' last summer and cut back and transplanted the plants into pots before the first hard frost. They have been in our sunny kitchen blooming like crazy since mid December. Their fragrance is truly wonderful and welcome each evening. Because I don't know if this plant is really toxic I wouldn't bring them in the house if you have kids or pets.

On Aug 1, 2009, Janina5309 from Calgary

I love this plants. There are SO many great things about it! I started this from seed very easily (MUST have extremely well drained soil for seedlings, or they rot). I planted them in clay soil in full sun as well as part sun. They established very quickly, in about a week. I would consider them drought tolerant. They have an amazing lily-like fragrance (but not overpowering like some orientals). They are beautiful. But one of the best qualities of all, is that there leaves are a bit sticky, so they act as aphid catchers! At first I thought the aphids were breeding, then I realized that they were all dead. But not too sticky that they catch predator insects. I had just happened to plant these around my rose bush and near the hollyhock (my two main aphid breeding grounds), and so far they h... read more

On Apr 17, 2008, Chantell from Middle of, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I can't say enough about the scent of this Nicotiana!!! The evening scent is simply amazing!! These did well in full sun - growing in large pots. These do not have a "formal form" to them...would be great for naturalizing if they were planted directly in the ground. It appears that they have self seeded in a few areas - which personally, I'm thrilled with. 2 plants last year provided me with more then enough seeds for numerous trades but also for my self use this season (although it doesn't "appear" I'm going to need to start any with all that are coming up on their own). Did have a little issue with Japanese Beetles toward summer's end but other then that....NO complaints.

On Jul 28, 2006, renwings from Sultan, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Well, I am now in love with this plant! Such soft, large, fuzzy leaves! These plants fill in quickly and look charming and dainty in the border. They just glow at night and are so wonderfully fragrant. They REALLY stand up to the heat. Heat that has killed nasturtiums in my very well drained sandy soil hasn't even fazed nicotiana, they look even better than the black-eyed susans after a week of high 90's with no rain.. They just bloom and bloom and bloom.
I will be planting this year after year and saving seed! Since it is sometimes hard to find.

On May 13, 2005, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I got this as a plant a few weeks ago and it has started blooming. Blooms are very pretty and the night-time fragrance is wonderful!

On Jan 30, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote: