Spotted Dead Nettle 'Anne Greenaway'

Lamium maculatum

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lamium (LAY-mee-um) (Info)
Species: maculatum (mak-yuh-LAH-tum) (Info)
Cultivar: Anne Greenaway

Ravenna, Ohio

Lexington, Virginia

Stephens City, Virginia

On Jun 17, 2013, TheSkeptic from Teaneck, NJ wrote:

Very pretty plant, but does not thrive in my shady NJ garden. One plant I bought last year barely survived the winter and is just struggling to make a few leaves. Another one that I planted this spring in a different location initially seemed to be thriving, but was then suddenly decimated by insects. Someone else described this variety as a "wimp". I think that is an apt description. Most lamium wants to run, run, run. The silver-leaved cultivars I have make more leaves than the slugs can eat, but the 'Anne Greenaway' variety seems to be afraid to grow.

On Apr 25, 2010, SwimmingJewel from Southold, NY (Zone 7b) wrote:

As long as you give this plant what it requires, it will thrive.
In a pot it doesn't commit suicide, it gets murdered by either overwatering or underwatering. ;)

It will do fine in full sun IF you get it lots of water in well drained soil.

I bought 3 last fall on a $1 sale.
They were a little beaten up from being in their little pots all summer, but a couple weeks after I planted them in the ground, even in the cool fall weather, they doubled in size and started blooming!
They are up and blooming again this year. We live in an area where the deer eat everything...but they leave Lamiums alone. Mine is planted with Purple St. John's Wort, Grey Owl Junipers, Golden Hakone Grass and under some Skimmias. Unbelievable color combos and literally ... read more

On Mar 21, 2009, soldierjunkie from Saginaw, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love this little plant. I have it planted on the east side of my house under some burning bushes and it looks beautiful. It looked a little ragged after its first winter, but then it took right off and has been great ever since.

On May 21, 2008, jerseyhole from Townsend, DE wrote:

I planted ten of these across the front walkway of my house, not reading that they prefer the shade! They seem fine, all in bloom, and very attractive for their low growing habit. I loved the color of the leaves and they way the flowers grow underneath the foliage. My house faces West and I am scared that these beauties will die because of my lack of attention to the tag, so I will move them to the side of my home, where there is considerably more shade before the heat of summer!

On Apr 7, 2008, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I would say this is the most beautiful of the deadnettles. But I have tried it two to three times in different locations and every time it didn't survive the winter - more of a wimp than other deadnettles.

On Feb 6, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

I believe another name for this plant is 'Anne Greenway'.

On Sep 4, 2005, Osteole from Lamar, AR (Zone 7a) wrote:

I tried growing this plant 3 different times. First two plants committed suicide in their pots, the third died in the ground 6 months after planted.

On Jun 5, 2005, JBenbow from Norwich, CT wrote:

Split 8 qt boxes under a well-established maple in mid summer but lost most due to drought over vacation. Several plants survived through the winter, surprised me in spring and over two years have grown into 3'x3' patches. Stunning purple flowers mid-spring into summer and variegation adds interest. Part sun/shade in this garden.

On May 3, 2002, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Leaf has a narrow silver center surrounded by a wider band of olive green and edged in gold.