PlantFiles: Hedge Bindweed, Wild Morning Glory
Calystegia sepium

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Calystegia (kal-ee-STEE-jee-uh) (Info)
Species: sepium (SEP-ee-um) (Info)

Synonym:Convolvulus sepium

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Pale Pink

By arsenic
Thumbnail #6 of Calystegia sepium by arsenic

By ideboda
Thumbnail #7 of Calystegia sepium by ideboda

Negative PermaCycle On Apr 14, 2014, PermaCycle from Indianapolis, IN (Zone 5b) wrote:

This plant is a bonafide nuisance requiring considerable labor and expense in order to eradicate it from a garden environment. An organic herbicide is apple cider vinegar.

Positive 2squirrley On Sep 14, 2012, 2squirrley wrote:

Recommendation:
Along a fenceline
Any large aria you want covered in vines and flowers with little worry or care
Away from gardens

What a beautiful plant! I have it naturally growing on my fence line in my back yard. Its a perfect barrier and brakes up the ugly appearance of our chain link fence with beautiful purple blooms! It does grow fiercely, but in our case, that's a good thing. We plan to put a trellis up for it to grow on. It always comes back and I am always happy to see it. I wish it bloomed year round. It truly makes our backyard a beautiful treat!
Whenever it grows where it's not wanted (like over our gate) we just prune it back and it's normally good for that year. I also love the humming birds that come to drink and I don't mind the bees, they are so preoccupied with all the blooms you can get right next to them and they don't even care or bother you.

On a side note, I can understand in the wrong place these plants turn from a dream vine into a terror! These would be horrible if they were growing in your garden due to there difficulty to kill. If you do want/have them and you have a garden, be sure to uproot ANY unwanted sprouts IMMEDIATLY and get every last piece of root.

Negative beerslayer On Jun 11, 2012, beerslayer from San Jose, CA wrote:

In Northern California (San Jose area), I've seen this stuff coming up in my backyard for 4-5 years now. I do not use poisons, as a matter of principle, but I'm starting to wonder if it's worth making an exception here. No matter how often I pick it, it comes back stronger than ever. It's recently started climbing other plants in the yard and blends in with the grass to the extent that it's hard to pick out unless you look really closely. I have no idea where this diabolical weed came from, but I'd probably have better luck exterminating every ant in the garden than exterminating this stuff. It's slowly but surely invading my yard and I feel quite powerless to stop it.

It's really a shame. If it weren't so noxious and invasive, it might actually be an attractive plant, but I cannot admire its beauty while I watch it take over my yard.

Negative karanann On Mar 21, 2012, karanann from Tifton, GA wrote:

Just want to note that this plant is on the Federal prohibited list, so that might be a clue to why so many people have a negative experience with it. I wonder if other prohibited plants are receiving similar negative reviews...interesting.

Negative carlotta4th On Jul 18, 2010, carlotta4th from Provo, UT wrote:

I've heard various theories on how to kill this plant: round-up and persistant pulling seem to be the most useful, so I'm trying both.

ROUND-UP: I'm normally against chemicals, but I used this on the morning glory patch I have in my rocks (since I'm not planning on planting anything there, EVER). It killed "most" of the vines, and I'm pulling them out now. We'll have to see if they come back or not...

PERSISTANT PULLING: In my garden and lawn, I'm trying to pull the vines out. So far it works in the garden (since the little starts are obvious against the dirt), but it's a lot harder in the lawn. It blends right in with the grass, and I have yet to pull even the LARGE vines out. So right now half of my yard is morning glory.

It's probably the most annoying plant I have to contend with. If I have any success getting rid of it, I'll try and remember to post a follow-up.

Negative Grandniem On Jun 23, 2010, Grandniem from Mansfield, PA wrote:

Second only to the kudzu vine that chokes the south. This chokes everything everywhere. ( Maybe that makes it first) I pull and pull and pull,...I am now at spraying heavy duty roundup for vine and ivy killer once a month., as it comes up again in about 3 to 4 weeks. Difficult in my flower beds to manage. I read the main root is 10 feet underground. Anybody else read that???If you enjoy other delicate flowers,...this is the plant from HELL!!!! It swallows them whole. Never thought I would HATE a plant,..but I do this one!!!!

Positive giftgas On Mar 14, 2009, giftgas from Everson, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I love this plant...I have the somewhat more rare "pink" version. Would you rather have a mound of ugly dirt, or some pink flowers that grow themselves, and bloom in the shade all year with no human intervention?

It's all about context...this plant would most likely "suck" if it were growing in the middle of your tomato patch...

Grown in a vacant lot, a garlic mustard infested area, etc, there isn't anything better...

I always hear people complaining that they can't grow morning glories where they live...that they never bloom, and/or rot shortly after the first flower...to these people I say: Hedge bindweed is your golden ticket.

Negative chedder66 On May 25, 2008, chedder66 from Huntington, NY wrote:

Very invasive and hard to get rid of. Remove on first sight!!

Negative Bandana_dave On Jul 27, 2007, Bandana_dave from Wilton, CA wrote:

This plant showed up in my vegetable garden this year and since then I have to go out every morning and spend 20 to 30 min pulling it up by the roots. I found that a trowel helps go deeper to get more of the root. If watered beforehand, it comes up much easier. It has been terrorizing my vegetabel garden. I did not have the problem last year, although I'm sure the weed was around in the fields that surround the garden. It tangles up with the melons, tries climbing the corn, and tomatoes and if I let it, it would smother out healthy, healthful plants.

Negative tcs1366 On Mar 2, 2007, tcs1366 from Leesburg, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

OH heavens... I had this stuff at our first home 20+ years ago and had no idea what it was.
It crept over and under our fence from our neighbors year.

I was constantly pulling this stuff out and just couldn't get rid of it.... we eventually moved.

I may have seen some in the field aside my home, as i recall pulling some a few years ago... I will be keeping my eyes peeled now that I know what it is.

Negative frostweed On Dec 14, 2006, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Hedge Bindweed, Wild Morning Glory Calystegia sepium is Naturalized to Texas and other States and is considered an Invasive and Noxious plant in Texas.

Positive ByndeweedBeth On Sep 21, 2006, ByndeweedBeth from scio, oregon, OR (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant was gowing wild when I bought my farm. Through years of hard work when I was too busy to tend a garden it delighted me with its cheerful white blooms. It completely dies back every winter and has not become terribly invasive. In fact I have lost some of it because the trees have grown up and it doesn't like shade. It wants full sun. I would miss it if it went away completely!

Neutral rh3708 On Sep 20, 2006, rh3708 from Westmoreland, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

this plant came up in a ditch and got about 3' x 3'.
It hasn't been as bad in my yard as it seems it has been in others.
I will be getting rid of it with the hope i don't cause it to pop up elsewhere in my yard.
I will bag it and tag it for the burn pile.

Negative Sofonisba On Jun 20, 2006, Sofonisba from Beacon, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

I just moved in two years ago. Last spring I planted some morning glory seeds along the fence and Lo and Behold! They came up fast and even in places I didn't remember putting seeds. Turned out, it wasn't morning glories. It was bindweed. I think the previous owner here was into cruel tricks. She fostered more noxious weeds than I thought possible. I've got creeping charlie, bindweed and about a million dandelions... and about a bazillion other various meanies. The bindweed is growing along my fence which borders a drainage ditch that feeds the local lake - our drinking water. I'm hesitant to start putting poisons there. Help!!

Negative karenaso On Jun 6, 2006, karenaso from Shelton, CT wrote:

this plant is pure evil. It has completely overtaken a perennial garden of mine in the past 2 years. no matter how many times i pull it up, it comes back worse. because of the perennials, herbicides aren't an option, pulling is not doing the trick...if anyone knows how to kill this for good, SHARE!

Negative westocast73 On Aug 15, 2005, westocast73 from (Zone 1) wrote:

I had heard from someone that growing Sunflowers in the dirt around bindweed roots would slow down its growth and I must say from my personal observation it does mildly work. Sunflowers apparently leech out a very mild toxin out of their roots which effects some forms of climbing vines ( supposedly to keep them of the sunflower ). Its no miracle but it does seem to do something. Just thought I would share that bit of info to anyone wanting to mildly control it without using a herbicide. That being said your still going to have to pull this stuff out but just not as often and not as much. :)

Negative Joan On Aug 15, 2005, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Very invasive and will take over an area in a short time.

It grows from an extensive root system, that if broken into pieces, each piece will start a new plant. It also grows from seeds, which are viable in the soil for 50+ years. You may not have any bindweed, but then disturb the soil for some reason, and it starts to grow.

I've been battling this weed for almost 15 years. I've gotten it knocked down to where it's not covering my 5 acres, but I still have plants here and there that pop up every year. I tried everything organic, like keeping it weeded out etc., but I could not keep up. It's faster than I am. What I've been using when it wasn't around any trees, flower beds or veggie gardens is roundup mixed with LV6. That kills it.

I compare this plant to kudzu. It's nasty.

Negative phares On Apr 3, 2005, phares from Fort Supply, OK wrote:

This plant is almost impossible to kill. We've tried spraying pulling up the roots and everything else we can think of but it just wont die. Our problem with it is that it takes over pastures so there is no grass for the cattle, and the cattle won't come close to it. I don't think it is posinious, because I haven't noticed any sick animals, but if anyone finds a way to kill it - I want to know.

Negative CaptMicha On Dec 21, 2004, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Very hard to get rid of. Constantly finds a way to invade plantings and yards. This will grow in any kind of soil.

Negative LBMOORE On Nov 28, 2004, LBMOORE from Archie, MO (Zone 5b) wrote:

I live in zone 5b. I have been at my location for 16 years, my flower garden has been there for 13 of them. All of a sudden this stuff shows up in my bed this year, I fought it all year and doubt that I won, I just wonder how it got there......birds maybe? I have a bird bath in the middle of the bed.

Positive ideboda On Dec 2, 2002, ideboda from T-village ;) - Friesland
Netherlands (Zone 6a) wrote:

Sources indicate the English word "byndweede" has been found in print dating back to at least the mid-16th century. It has a long history of being out of favor, as shown in this quote dating to 1562:

"Byndweed...is as it wer an worke of nature learning to make lilies" (Simpson, J. A., and E.S.C. Weiner. 1989. The Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd ed. Clarendon Press, Oxford.)

This tells us something about the long history of the problems this plant has caused in cultivated fields and gardens.

My own personal experience, however, was mainly admiring it outside in natural habitats, e.g. among reed along ditches and ponds, with its very charming white or sometimes light-pink flowers. But I never dared to grow this wild weed in my garden, knowing what it can do. Tried to grow a red mutation of it in a flowerpot once, which was doomed to fail, because the roots needed more room. A pity, but I decided it was definitely NO garden-plant, as I had seen how devastating it could be in other people's gardens.

Negative sanda On Oct 19, 2002, sanda wrote:

I'm also in So Cal.It's coming up all over my yard, and I didn't even plant it! I've been trying to get rid of it for 3 years now. I dig really deep, trying to get ALL the roots out, and just as I think I won the war, up it comes again! I think the trick is to get the leaves as they come up, and to never let it flower, or it will spread more seeds...

Negative eddyp73 On Aug 29, 2002, eddyp73 wrote:

A weed, a fairly attractive flower, pointed leaf, as name suggests, grows by binding other plants. Spreads from roots underground. Be careful removing as the plant can regrow from a section of root as small as 1 inch, and the root system is fairly easy to break, leaving sections to grow, tilling may leave hundreds of sections to grow! Apparently is best to remove leaves, to prevent it building up reserves to regrow.

Negative phume On Jun 17, 2002, phume wrote:

This plant is both negative and positive. Free to grow in the wild it is quite beautiful. The white flowers resemble the morning glory as do the leaves except the bindweeds' leaves are thinner and more pointed. In early growth the leaves are the only way to tell the two apart. I have both in my garden whether I like it or not, and the bindweed far surpasses the morning glory in growth rate and it flourished in the same growing conditions. The bindweed intermingles with and chokes out the morning glory. It also gets tangled up in every plant, bush, and growing structure in the garden, and races across flat ground. It likes everything from full sun to complete shade. Its hardiness is amazing due to reseeding itself and regrowth from the root system it established the year before. I live in West Virginia which is zone 6 and the winters are not bad enough to kill off the root system. I continually pull out the vines and they keep coming back. Hopefully being diligent in this department will someday rid my garden of what I deem a pest.

Negative cheznous On May 4, 2002, cheznous wrote:

A pain here in Southern CA. Propagates by developing roots along the stem where it touches the ground. My difficult to get rid of, chokes out other plants.

Neutral Lilith On May 4, 2002, Lilith from Durham
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

A spectacular plant with funnel-shaped flowers of pure white, just as large as those of many treasured garden plants. Gardeners shun Hedge Bindweed because it has long, creeping underground stems which sprout up all around, and its vigorous growth swamps all but the most robust plants. This rampant vine is beneficial in that it covers abandoned ruins, refuse tips, even a scrapped car or telegraph pole.

Fallbrook, California