Our annual end-of-summer contest is here, come on down to the Dave's Garden County Fair!

Gallant Soldier, Quickweed

Tridax parviflora

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tridax (TRY-daks) (Info)
Species: parviflora (par-VEE-flor-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Galinsoga parviflora

Boston, Massachusetts

Winchester, New Hampshire

Harrison, Ohio

Sarver, Pennsylvania

Wilder, Vermont

On Jul 5, 2017, WildWill from Sarver, PA wrote:

2017 was going to be the best garden yet. We had just bought a new house with incredible property. My spouse and I have lived in the area our whole lives. We had both been taught the rewards of gardening, since we could walk.
We had a mild winter and early spring. We bought the house from a 100 year old man, who was a real pro. Early pictures of the home built in the 50's showed his gardens. We used a common patch that was his largest area, about 30x60. We tilled the garden amd were in awe of the rich soil. We slowly began adding our seedlings and knew that our first year would be a lot of experimentation. By the first week it was obvious some type of weed was just forming. For the first few weeks with fresh tilled soil, i kept hoeing and holding at bay as we prepared our stra... read more

On Jul 21, 2010, SandRun from Harrison, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This by far the most invasive weed I have encountered. It seemingly came out of nowhere. It took me a month to identify. It has overtaken my garden to the point of no return. Nothing desirable will grow. I've cut (and bagged) it, I've tilled it, I've covered it with 12" of straw to no avail. I'll be using the black plastic next.

On Jan 18, 2010, RRL101 from Carlsbad, CA wrote:

If anyone knows where I can obtain the seeds or seedlings for this plant, please email me via this website. I'm interested in growing it as an herb in a well contained enviroment.

On Jun 5, 2009, DonnieBrook from Southwest , NH (Zone 5b) wrote:

This weed was the cause of my back problems for more than two years as I struggled to control it in my vegetable garden. We would spend hours carefully removing the plants and placing them into garbage bags to keep any seeds from spreading, and we would use a hoe to dig up the tiny new generations of plants, just to come back out in the morning and find hundreds of new ones coming up. I am giving up this year. My garden is planted; the soldiers have won; I will have a weedy garden and may make soup in the fall! I have asked the Preen company to try to include this weed in their pre-emergent product. No word yet.

On Jul 3, 2003, charityaut wrote:

In Colombia, S.A., this plant is known as guascas. It is used as a seasoning, especially for the chicken and potato soup traditionally consumed in Bogota called ajiaco.

On Jul 2, 2003, Cyndi1 from Atlanta, GA wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, this is called Chickweed in the Southeast US. It grows like wildfire, even in winter, and creates a dense mat of roots that are almost impossible to kill. We reclaimed our flower beds by using black plastic matting - nothing else worked.

On Jul 1, 2003, bovinekdg wrote:

This weed is the reason I quit vegetable gardening. It has several generations in one year and smothers out crops. We got it in a packet of seed from a well known company.

On May 4, 2002, Lilith from Durham,
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

Tiny white and yellow flower-heads of Gallant Soldier resemble miniature Daisies. This weed of gardens, arable fields and waste ground is so widespread in the UK that it appears native, although it was introduced from South America to botanic gardens in Europe during the latter part of the eighteenth century. The common name is merely a corruption of the botanical name.